Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM

8 posts, read 18,699 times

Advertisements

We bought a condo last fall in Myrtle Beach. It's a 3BR which will be rented most of the year. We knew there was a "personal property tax" but it showed as about $300-500 per year on the listing so we didn't worry about it.

Now I get this form and they want me to detail EVERY stinking thing I own in the unit? Seriously? Things as mundane as blinds, lamps and wastebaskets? How the heck do I know what it's value is? How do I know what the owner put last year, I surely don't want to put more, but if I put much less will they come knocking? Would be nice if they told me the tax RATE so I could put enough down to come in around a few hundred owed in tax. And is it even legal to tax people year after year on the same items? I'm surprised it hasn't been challenged.

And what do I actually own and what does the resort "own". I know I have to replace furniture and appliances so I own them....

by the way, I live in another state which taxes plenty, but at least they don't nickel and dime and ask how many of whatever I have in my home!
So, my question is.....HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:54 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Are you sure they want a list of things within the unit ?....this seems over the top ridiculous......if so, I would just list the major appliances.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
Are you using a property manager to manage the rental? They would know how and what to report.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:37 PM

8 posts, read 18,699 times
I'll call the management company, but here is a screenshot of part of the form.....It goes with tax form PR-26
Attached Thumbnails
HELP personal property tax--new condo owner--wtf!!-mytlebeachtaxformimg.jpg  

Old 02-23-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggieandgranny View Post
I'll call the management company, but here is a screenshot of part of the form.....It goes with tax form PR-26
Wow, that looks more like Person Property Insurance Form for Home Owners / Rental Insurance.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:11 AM

132 posts, read 173,998 times
Its true folks....They tax people on furniture, etc in rental houses.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachangel View Post
Its true folks....They tax people on furniture, etc in rental houses.
Is this the case for rentals only ?

Old 02-26-2018, 10:16 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
Yes...a "rental" is considered a "business"....you also need to pay for a business LICENSE! It's crazy!

That said, we didn't get a form like that...and the stuff in our condo is about 10 years old...not much "value" to it anymore! We didn't have to list trashcans, or stuff like that. Only washer/dryer, stove, fridge, etc...

Old 02-26-2018, 03:41 PM

809 posts, read 1,180,837 times
I’m very confused. I own my primary residence and a condo I rent to my daughter and her boyfriend. I never received a form like this. I don’t have a business license. My accountant has never said anything to me about these either. Although they pay rent it just pays the bills. We bought it for an investment, hoping it appreciates when we sell in the future. In the meantime it gives them a break on rent. Please advise as I’m concerned. Thanks

Old 02-26-2018, 06:40 PM

545 posts, read 1,604,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Yes...a "rental" is considered a "business"....you also need to pay for a business LICENSE! It's crazy!

That said, we didn't get a form like that...and the stuff in our condo is about 10 years old...not much "value" to it anymore! We didn't have to list trashcans, or stuff like that. Only washer/dryer, stove, fridge, etc...
They are not mailing the form this year. I got a card recently saying that you do it online now. my condo is not rented out, only a second home, so I don't have to pay taxes on the personal property. Well, I did the first year because the previous owners did not file the form for the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area