Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 03:17 PM

231 posts, read 156,399 times

Advertisements

Wondering if any of you have lived in Myrtle Beach and a town(s) in Florida and what is your opinion of both?

As far as what you liked, disliked, enjoyed the most, advantages, disadvantages etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 05:59 PM

285 posts, read 639,085 times
I've vacationed annually to Myrtle Beach from 1979 to 2005, lived full-time in North Myrtle Beach from 2006-2011, then moved to Sarasota FL from 2012-2014, then moved back to North Myrtle in 2015, then moved to Royal Palm Beach FL 2016-2017, and now I just moved back to North Myrtle Beach permanently and am presently building a home in Barefoot Resort. I'll offer the following comments on both places:

South Florida ...
1) Likes: 12-month golf season, 12-month beach season, more cultural diversity, more top-name concerts, no state income tax.
2) Dislikes: more traffic, more crowded (feel like just a number there), higher property taxes, difficulty finding affordable large home sites (> 1/2 acre), public golf courses are crowded, private golf courses are very expensive, no real cool-season, greater hurricane threat, more pavement than trees.

Myrtle Beach:
1) Likes: Access to a wider variety of affordable excellent public golf courses, easier to make friends here (at least for me), can ride a bicycle on the beaches, four seasons, smaller town with more of a home-town flavor, more aesthetically pleasing, excellent variety of restaurants & night life.
2) Dislikes: Ultra-conservative Bible belt, bike weeks, no great NY style pizza places here.

After moving around, I've decided to settle on North Myrtle Beach and make that my home base while occasionally bolting to Florida for a week or two during bike weeks or if it gets too cold.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
We have homes in Murrells Inlet SC and Naples FL. I like both. SC is more laid back. Naples is more upscale. The major difference is the weather. While no snow in SC, it does get cold. No pool or beach bathing November through March. No so in Florida. Prices of everything differ but not so much as to be an issue.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
I've vacationed annually to Myrtle Beach from 1979 to 2005, lived full-time in North Myrtle Beach from 2006-2011, then moved to Sarasota FL from 2012-2014, then moved back to North Myrtle in 2015, then moved to Royal Palm Beach FL 2016-2017, and now I just moved back to North Myrtle Beach permanently and am presently building a home in Barefoot Resort. I'll offer the following comments on both places:

South Florida ...
1) Likes: 12-month golf season, 12-month beach season, more cultural diversity, more top-name concerts, no state income tax.
2) Dislikes: more traffic, more crowded (feel like just a number there), higher property taxes, difficulty finding affordable large home sites (> 1/2 acre), public golf courses are crowded, private golf courses are very expensive, no real cool-season, greater hurricane threat, more pavement than trees.

Myrtle Beach:
1) Likes: Access to a wider variety of affordable excellent public golf courses, easier to make friends here (at least for me), can ride a bicycle on the beaches, four seasons, smaller town with more of a home-town flavor, more aesthetically pleasing, excellent variety of restaurants & night life.
2) Dislikes: Ultra-conservative Bible belt, bike weeks, no great NY style pizza places here.

After moving around, I've decided to settle on North Myrtle Beach and make that my home base while occasionally bolting to Florida for a week or two during bike weeks or if it gets too cold.
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We have homes in Murrells Inlet SC and Naples FL. I like both. SC is more laid back. Naples is more upscale. The major difference is the weather. While no snow in SC, it does get cold. No pool or beach bathing November through March. No so in Florida. Prices of everything differ but not so much as to be an issue.

Thank you.

Which location do you feel more "at home" in?

Old 12-20-2017, 07:14 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaul59 View Post
Thank you.

Which location do you feel more "at home" in?
If I had to choose one over the other it would be Murrells Inlet. I think living full time in Naples would get "old" much faster. While I do not consider Florida unfriendly, SC is more so (friendly).

Old 12-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
If I had to choose one over the other it would be Murrells Inlet. I think living full time in Naples would get "old" much faster. While I do not consider Florida unfriendly, SC is more so (friendly).

I agree with you. We felt far more "at home" in Myrtle Beach and the people are I believe more friendly in MB. Florida has a huge transient population which you will have a neighbor today and gone tomorrow. We live in a gated very nice community but many homes are either vacation homes or rented homes. A lot of movement. We did not have that in MB.

Both have pros and cons, hard to give up the beautiful weather, Disney and all the attractions here but Florida just does not feel at home to us.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area