Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:47 PM

13 posts, read 17,787 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother of two school-aged children, and I am planning to move from my hometown in eastern Kentucky to Myrtle Beach. I am going to be renting. I would love some advice about areas that are good to live and raise a family, places to go that are kid-friendly, and any other advice that locals might have. Also, my son loves to play basketball and football, so I would love to live in an area that he could meet other children that have the same interests. Any advice or helpful comments are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 03:33 PM

Also, how are furniture/home goods prices at Myrtle Beach?

Old 09-10-2016, 04:22 PM

790 posts, read 1,628,157 times
Carolina Forest is probably the most younger family oriented area of Myrtle Beach. You'll find activities your kids there

Depending on where you're from in KY, you'll probably find prices similar to what you find in your current area.

Please accept a word of advice/caution. Make sure that you secure employment prior to moving here. Jobs are not plentiful and to move here and hope to find something would not be a good move.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the advice, CTyankee54. I will have to check out Carolina Forest. The cost of living at Myrtle is about the same as eastern Kentucky, but there aren't ANY jobs here. I have already been researching jobs at Myrtle Beach online, I am not going to be moving until February 2017. I would like to find a job at a telemarketing company, but I will take what I can get. Please, if you have any more advice or suggestions, let me know. I want to learn as much as I can before I move. Thanks again

Old 09-10-2016, 07:21 PM

790 posts, read 1,628,157 times
I've read that this company is frequently looking for people: https://www.facebook.com/startek.myr...=page_internal

I'm not really familiar with telemarketing companies in MB but you might start with some of these listings: Call Center Jobs, Employment in Myrtle Beach, SC | Indeed.com

Old 09-11-2016, 06:11 PM

I will definitely check them out, thanks again, CTyankee54!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:57 PM

161 posts, read 238,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadkins0132 View Post
Also, how are furniture/home goods prices at Myrtle Beach?
There are a number of options in the area from cheap to expensive. Ethan Allen, La-zBoy, Ashley, Wholesale Furniture Outlet, Best Furniture (they sell Ashley), Unclaimed Furniture, Waterway Furniture, Owls Rest, Garden City Furniture....to name a few....we,ve been to all of them and bought from at least 6 of them based upon our needs, what they had and prices.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonjoe1950 View Post
There are a number of options in the area from cheap to expensive. Ethan Allen, La-zBoy, Ashley, Wholesale Furniture Outlet, Best Furniture (they sell Ashley), Unclaimed Furniture, Waterway Furniture, Owls Rest, Garden City Furniture....to name a few....we,ve been to all of them and bought from at least 6 of them based upon our needs, what they had and prices.
Wow, I am so glad that I am going to have so many different options when I get there! I will definitely check them all out, thanks so much Hamiltonjoe1950!!!

Old 09-22-2016, 02:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,720 times
Default Say no to carolina forest

Of course, the obvious answer is Carolina Forest.....but not so fast. Carolina forest has only existed since 2004 and has changed already so very much. Right now, in my opinion, it is awful. The traffic is absolute nightmare. I regret buying here very much. They keep building more and more businesses on 501 & Carolina Forest Blvd and now they are building an Aldi's on top of the 50 other businesses they built in that inner section. I'm done with it. I am selling my home. What does that tell you? Everything is so far apart in this area. I highly recommend living in Myrtle Beach, in town. The schools aren't the best but they are nice compared to where I come from. It's all about perspective. It's cheaper to live in Myrtle Beach than it is to live in Carolina Forest. I would recommend living in the Lake Arrowhead Rd. area of Myrtle Beach. It is so nice there and affordable. So, if you don't like high congestive traffic, I strongly, STRONGLY, do not recommend living in Carolina Forest. It literally ruins your whole day just to run errands, take kids to school, shopping. It can take many, many, many hours. The road work is non-stop. And they are not done building business's and neighborhoods which astounds me because it's so packed already. Oh yeah, no public transportation either, or sidewalks. The neighborhoods only connect through Carolina Forest Blvd, there are no back roads to connect them. So unless your children get lucky and find friends in their sub-division, it might get very lonely. Unless you got a lot of money, it's really hard for a single mother to get by on her own in Carolina Forest.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 PM

Default Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyblue View Post
Of course, the obvious answer is Carolina Forest.....but not so fast. Carolina forest has only existed since 2004 and has changed already so very much. Right now, in my opinion, it is awful. The traffic is absolute nightmare. I regret buying here very much. They keep building more and more businesses on 501 & Carolina Forest Blvd and now they are building an Aldi's on top of the 50 other businesses they built in that inner section. I'm done with it. I am selling my home. What does that tell you? Everything is so far apart in this area. I highly recommend living in Myrtle Beach, in town. The schools aren't the best but they are nice compared to where I come from. It's all about perspective. It's cheaper to live in Myrtle Beach than it is to live in Carolina Forest. I would recommend living in the Lake Arrowhead Rd. area of Myrtle Beach. It is so nice there and affordable. So, if you don't like high congestive traffic, I strongly, STRONGLY, do not recommend living in Carolina Forest. It literally ruins your whole day just to run errands, take kids to school, shopping. It can take many, many, many hours. The road work is non-stop. And they are not done building business's and neighborhoods which astounds me because it's so packed already. Oh yeah, no public transportation either, or sidewalks. The neighborhoods only connect through Carolina Forest Blvd, there are no back roads to connect them. So unless your children get lucky and find friends in their sub-division, it might get very lonely. Unless you got a lot of money, it's really hard for a single mother to get by on her own in Carolina Forest.
Thanks for the advice, blueskyblue. As I said before, I am a single mom of two, and I do not get an support at all from their father. My mother is going to be moving with me, so she can help me with rent/utilities. She will also be babysitting for me, so I will not have to worry about childcare costs. I have already found a job making pretty good money, and I am considering getting another part time job as well. The only thing I am worried about is I do not have good credit, and I know most apartment complexes check your credit history. I think that my best bet will be to try to find a mobile home to rent, at least for the first year or so. Do you know of any good areas where there are mobile home rentals? I really would not mind to live in a mobile home park, as long as it is not a horrible neighborhood. Please let me know your thoughts on this, or if you have any more advice to give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area