Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,937,529 times

Advertisements

You have gators out there, right? Are they all over, neighborhoods, etc.?
What about bugs, much of those? Is there a problem for dogs with fleas and ticks?
I know you have humidity, but it's so beautiful out there, it's worth it.
Are there many Senior communities?
Little River looks really nice.
Thanks in advance! Sorry about all the questions. Trying to get an idea if we would want to retire there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Yeah, there are alligators. Too few in IMHO. I love seeing them on my walks.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:45 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Gators do not venture too far from creeks or ponds. However, it is a good idea to have a fence if you live near a creek and put your dog in the yard.

Yes, there are many bugs, including the palmetto bug which looks like a cockroach. Yes, you will have to protect the dogs from fleas and ticks.

Yes there are some communities that are age-restricted to the over 55 crowd. There are many more communities that are mixed ages, but have one-story houses and recreational amenities. I like 55places.com to look for those communities.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 AM

37 posts, read 52,551 times
Default Relocating

We are moving full time in November.Little River is nice but may be a bit too rural for some. We spoke with a long time resident that moved there because of the rural artsy feel, however they are retired and need to go to south myrtle for their for there medical attention. Yes there are gators but like was mentioned they stay pretty close to the Marsh areas. As for the fleas and ticks, you will need to treat your dogs regularly for both.The further inland you go the hotter it gets. We are coming from the North East and we welcome the heat, and look forward to leaving the snow behind. There are senior communities and most of all the communities have HOA's associated with them. We ended up in a non senior community but I would guess the mean age is in the 50's. Alot of the folks are transplants and very friendly. We decided on Murrells Inlet and it is a realatively newer community, about 4 miles from the beach. As for the bugs, we noticed more up north than down where we are. Good luck. If you need an agent let me know, we had a really good one.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
There are also fire ants....your yard will need to be treated regularly...they are NASTY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area