Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 09:28 AM

21 posts, read 46,855 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was looking for an affordable way to live by the beach and see that a lot of people seem to live in trailers. Usually in a campground community on leased land. Ive seen from around $2000 and on up a year. Is it worth it? Do you like it even though its not a house? I hate the negative views some people give about living in trailers but it actually seems smart if you want to live at the beach and arent all about the money. I appreciate any information and have a good day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdawgs View Post
Hello,

I was looking for an affordable way to live by the beach and see that a lot of people seem to live in trailers. Usually in a campground community on leased land. Ive seen from around $2000 and on up a year. Is it worth it? Do you like it even though its not a house? I hate the negative views some people give about living in trailers but it actually seems smart if you want to live at the beach and arent all about the money. I appreciate any information and have a good day
Go the trailer parks and ask around.

The BEST info is FIRST hand.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:11 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
You can check out Ocean Lakes Family Campground, Oceanside Village, Windjammer Village, Waterford Oaks and Crystal Lake. At all of these places you will be on a leased lot. Coral Bay in Murrells Inlet you would own your own land. This is rare, as there are not all that many in which the land is deeded to you.

When you price the lease amount be sure and see what it includes. We had a place at Ocean Lakes in the 80's and the lease was less than $1000 a year which included water, sewage, garbage collection and cable TV. This was originally a trailer that was tied down and the owner had enclosed and added a master bedroom and bath with a den and large front porch. The place was a two bedroom, 2 bath, den, dining room and kitchen. The roof was extended over the porch and the trailer was not visible.

But insurance wise it was considered a trailer. You will need to check on insurance as it can be expensive since you will need separate wind and flood coverage. When Hurricane Hugo hit we were very fortunate with damage only to the duct work system under the place, the heat pump and everything else survived.

As the years rolled by the lease increased and when we sold the place in early 2000 it was over $5000 a year and I understand it has continued to increase.

Would this be your primary home as the county tax rate is different for a secondary home. The best thing you can do is get on the phone and start calling and asking questions. Or better yet spend a few days and visit the campgrounds and I would check out an insurance agent to get an idea of the cost to insure a trailer if you want to live by the beach.

Our children were young when we bought the place and they have a lifetime of happy memories of the years we spent vacationing at the beach. Our son had a lifeguard job and spent the one entire summer there. We did not intend to retire and relocate there just used it to vacation and as a get away.

I forgot to add, we loved it. Had great neighbors that lived there year round and looked after our place.

Last edited by CarolinaWoman; 03-23-2015 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: