Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 AM

12 posts, read 19,995 times

Advertisements

Hello to all!

My family is considering moving to Pawleys Island or Murrells Inlet. So many questions and hope some of you would be kind enough to give me your very HONEST of opinions. We have travelled around alot but are originally from Long Island, NY. moved away in 2009 and never looked back. I loved growing up there but it has changed so very much. We have 4 kids, only 2 are still in school. One middle school and one in HS. We are looking for family friendly but also good for retirement since my hubby and I are in the older, not old yet) parents category and are looking for good cost of living for retirees in the long run. Hubby is retired from NYPD. Still works due to 4 kids as I am sure you all can imagine. Also, if anyone is familiar with the tax structure there, how are the property taxes and income tax allowances? We are currently in W. Va. and there is basically NO tax deductions whatsoever and we get killed every year and have to pay the state, which we have never had to do in any of the previous states we have lived. BTW all the moving has been due to my husband previously working for a federal agency which he retired from 2 years ago and we need to settle for good. It is time!

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. So looking forward to any help.

In need of warm weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 02:17 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,889 times
Either one is a good choice. We picked MI over PI because of the schools, the inlet, only 20 mins from airport & downtown MB. My son is in St James middle school, and my oldest just started college down here.

Property taxes are dirt cheap here compared to LI. I moved from LI last year. 11K in taxes there, 900 a year in taxes here. Once you turn 65 you get a break on your taxes (I'm not there yet, so I can't tell you how much)

What's you budget? Size home you're looking for??

If you want, you can PM the info.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:03 PM

24 posts, read 37,371 times
Default M.i.

I moved here from upstate NY just under a year ago and chose Murrells Inlet. It's just close enough to downtown Myrtle to go to events or restaurants but far enough away to avoid a lot of the tourism. The Marsh Walk is a great place to go to events, walks or just plain hangout and Garden City Beach for me is like 5 minutes away.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:30 PM

13 posts, read 20,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaOnTheMove View Post
I moved here from upstate NY just under a year ago and chose Murrells Inlet. It's just close enough to downtown Myrtle to go to events or restaurants but far enough away to avoid a lot of the tourism. The Marsh Walk is a great place to go to events, walks or just plain hangout and Garden City Beach for me is like 5 minutes away.
Ate you happy with your move Marla? We are debating on making the same move, also from upstate NY. We cant decide if we like the MI, Socastee or Little River area the best. Our kids are in 9th & 7th grade so we have to take schools into consideration.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:10 AM

Make the move Dave....it's a choice you wont regret.

From a fellow NYer who recently moved to Murrells Inlet.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:35 PM

13 posts, read 20,663 times
SC - I'm having a hard time beliving that we would regret it. We love the MI area but alos want to check out LR too. I'm looking at a possible transfer with my current employer to the location we have in Conway. If it pans out I think we'll have a hard time saying no.

Are you happy with St James school? That was one of my wife's picks for our kids. We just worry about them adjusting from a HS of less than 400 kids up here to one of 1200+ down there.

What part of NY are you from if you dont mind me asking?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Dave,

We're happy with the St James SD. It was one of the reasons we picked MI. My son is in the 8th grade here. He's making friends slowly (not as fast as he wants) but Rome wasn't built in a day.

We moved from Long Island NY. Home of the 11K a year property taxes, and 400 a month utility bills island. lol

If you pick Little River (which is a nice place too) or Murrells Inlet...your kids are going to have to deal with approx amount of kids in their school. If your kids are super smart...they can apply to 2 programs down here. 1 is the Honors program at is held at Coastal Carolina in Conway. Reallllllll tough program to get in. Only 50 kids are taken each freshmen year. My son has a 104 overall average, and didn't get in.
The next program is the STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) program that is held over in a school near Forestbrook. We're hoping he makes it into that school.

If you have any other Q's...don't hesitate to ask. If need be, send me a PM. Either way...glad to help if I can.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:51 PM

24 posts, read 37,371 times
Default Sorry it took so long

Davets, you asked if I'm happy with my move, it's probably the best thing I've ever done. I talk to people back in Rochester quite often and every time I do I thank my lucky stars I got out. You couldn't pay me to go back even for a visit. Life here is very different much more casual and relaxed. I don't know what else to tell you except come on down there's an awful lot of us here.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:27 PM

31 posts, read 42,065 times
How’d this play out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area