Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,232 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone-

I recently received news that I will be placed in the Myrtle Beach area for my job so I thought I would come on here and try to get some advice. I am 22 and a recent college graduate who currently lives in Connecticut. I enjoy a good time and meeting new people, but am pretty over the absolute ridiculousness that went along with the college scene and what not. However, that does not mean that I never want to go out and have a good time. I am very personable and excited about starting something new.

I guess what I am asking is what areas of Myrtle Beach should I be looking at? I have heard things about the "tourist" feel that comes with Myrtle Beach and that is okay as long as it is not overwhelming. The fact that I am moving there and won't know a single person is tough, and I want to be able to meet people my age who are there permanently and not just for a weeks stay. Are there areas that you would not even notice the tourist scene? You guys get the point. Tell me anything and everything about the area (cost of living, neighborhoods, highways that I will be using, stores that I may recognize, etc). I know nothing.

Thank you,
Bri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,704,766 times
What can you handle for rent - that will make a big difference on where you live. What area of MB will you be working in? What are your interests? Are you a golfer?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:14 PM

790 posts, read 1,626,792 times
Where in CT are you coming from? We came from the Newington area and my son (UCONN graduate/30 years old) also lives here.

Retire in MB asks the most pertinent questions which will help folks on this board help direct you.

You won't recognize many grocery stores from CT but we have the standard Target, Walmart, Costco, Sams Club, Michaels, Sears. No Macy's but Belk and Dillards are nice substitutes.

If you're renting, you'll find the rental costs about the same unless you're coming from someplace near NYC or the shore in which case, rents will be less. Food costs about the same. Gas is a LOT less...$1.90 or so right now. Cost of registering your car and property taxes on your car will be significantly less and your drivers license doesn't have to be renewed as often. I hope you're bringing your CT salary with you and didn't have to take a big hit for less by moving to MB.

There is a local college/university nearby in Conway so meeting people near your age should not be a problem as long as you either live nearby or are willing to drive a little (depending on where you work/live).

As CT is a 'blue' state, you'll find things much different in the definitely 'red' state of SC so be prepared for the difference. Also, in MB government and business definitely focuses on the tourist who help pay the bills. Don't get me wrong, they still consider the needs of locals but tourism is always on their minds. And as far as the "tourism" feel of the area...it depends on where you live and how quickly you get to know the back roads to avoid the tourists. It's hard to completely get away from it, but you can minimize it if you want or immerse yourself if you want. It depends on your preferences (as long as you don't choose to live in the middle of the tourist areas).

Hope this helps some. If you give us more info, we can provide more info.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,232 times
Thanks for the reply guys. I really appreciate it. My territory is all over Myrtle beach so I am not confined to a certain geographical area and am willing to commute as long as it's not unreasonable. I am coming from Fairfield, CT which is ridiculously expensive so I think anything will be less in rent, but I am looking to spend no more than 800/month on rent.
As to the question of if Im a golfer the answer is no but when I'm there im going to definitely take lessons and try to learn.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 PM

790 posts, read 1,626,792 times
In your situation, I would recommend that you look at the River Oaks area, Carolina Forest and Conway especially the area near Coastal Carolina University. You should be able to find a nice 1 or 2 bedroom for around $800 and those areas are centrally located to most of the MB area. They are also areas with younger populations and near areas where the restaurants/bars attract a younger crowd. The only drawback is that 501 is the primary highway to access them (although there are other ways to get there) and 501 is the main route to MB...you don't want to be on that road on the weekend!!!!!

As far as getting around, Rt31 would be your primary highway to travel north and south. Most tourist don't know about it and it's an interstate quality highway. The other main roads are the aforementioned 501, 17 Bypass and 17 Business and Rt 544. If you can find those roads, you can get just about anywhere you need to go in MB.

As you explore web sites for apts, etc, feel free to ask questions. Glad to provide any help we can.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
I have to agree with CTyankee54 relocating here from NJ had no clue where to start, picked up a few magazines and used a very large filter when seeking living arrangements.

I ended up in Berkshire, off River Oaks Drive, give Strand Management a call they have various rental properties and pleasant to deal with. Added benefit it is a central location and you can access any roadway within a few short mins. The area is growing and will only get busier with local traffic but these are the people that you will be serving and working with.

The tourists they are cool and dont know how to drive almost like a snow storm everyday in the summer months. Thing of it is drivers are focused on getting to a destination or getting lost by a GPS they are not paying attention to the drivers on the road. All good no regrets let me know if you need any help.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 AM

6 posts, read 14,374 times
I don't know if this is any help but I am 19 almost 20 looking to move to Myrtle alone too, so you're not alone in the struggle! I lived about 30 min away when I was younger (Oak Island, NC) so I visited Myrtle a lot, and if you're wanting to go to the main beaches, it's not likely that you'll be able to escape the tourism. It will definitely take some getting used to. It's nice to find someone doing what I'm also doing! Only im looking into oceanfront condos to buy, I'm hoping to run into some locals and meet people around my general age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area