Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 894 times

Advertisements

Gonna try to make this short and sweet. Hoping someone can help Started feeding a mama feral cat in July in front of my house. Managed to lure both her and her baby (about 5 months old) into my house. Bought a bed for them to sleep in and toys. They've been there for at least two weeks. I let the mama out at least once a day. Baby learned how to use litter box the minute i placed it on the floor. Mama uses it sometimes. (don't trust that fully yet. Thats why i let her out) Neither of them will let me touch them. The baby runs away. The mama will stand close. She will actually rub against the back of my legs when its time to eat and im preparing the food. But if you put your hand out she will swat at it and hiss. The closest I've come is to get them to eat food out of my hand ( after mama swats it a couple of times then realizes its safe). Did i make a mistake of bringin them in my home and thinking they will become my pets eventually? Will they ever allow me to touch them? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,162,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz604 View Post
Did i make a mistake of bringin them in my home and thinking they will become my pets eventually? Will they ever allow me to touch them? Any suggestions?
Congratulations for being warm-hearted to these animals. They may allow you to touch them but you have to be very patient.

You might ask the question in the general/pets fourum.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:15 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,725,996 times
You are a good soul to take this chance with feral animals! There are a couple of agencies in the area that deal with/support feral animals and you might try asking there. All 4 Paws is one, but I can't recall the name of the other.
Patience is very important ...consider what they have experienced and its not hard to understand their stand-offish behavior. If they will take food from your hand, that is a pretty amazing start. Let that be enough for now.
Some random thoughts-
are you getting down to their level? sit on the floor when you feed from your hand, and just sit there a little longer each day, even after they eat what you offer.
When you try to pet them, when the time comes, don't reach over them- that may be a threatening gesture in their experience. Instead of trying to pat the head, maybe when you feed by hand you could stroke the chin, for example
Be sure that you get them to a vet for shots and examination!!! That is for your safety as well as theirs!

Good luck

Old 11-18-2014, 07:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,028,605 times
You need to get them BOTH fixed.....you don't want more feral cats! And, if they aren't spayed/neutered, that's exactly what will happen. You're letting the female go out....she's gonna be pregnant very soon...guaranteed.

Feral cats might allow you to touch them, eventually, but they will never, ever be "tame"....they have gone wild, and will stay that way for several generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area