Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 08:45 AM

73 posts, read 111,059 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I will be moving ina year to MB we will have no family there. I am getting a little upset about leaving my children and grandchildren behind. Has anyone else been through this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 11:08 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggeerrific View Post
Hubby and I will be moving ina year to MB we will have no family there. I am getting a little upset about leaving my children and grandchildren behind. Has anyone else been through this ?
" will have no family there"

Probably 90% of the people who move into the area.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Yes and unless you can visit them or they come to visit you, its something to really think about. I've been here since 2007 and still not over it. I feel left out of family events, cant make it to weddings and funerals many times and many I haven't seen since 2006. Holidays have been terrible. Most people I've met go back to visit a lot so if you are able to do that then it may not be an issue. I learned the hard way, low taxes aren't everything. Really have to look at the whole picture and think about what's most important to you. Wish you the best.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:19 PM

73 posts, read 111,059 times
Thank you Rapture you gave me a lot to think about we wanted to get away from the cold and snow & taxes . But being away from my children and grandchildren might outway that . You gave me alot to think about

Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
You're welcome. I'm sorry and don't mean it negative but a lot of people (including me) got excited over the low taxes and warmer weather but didn't realize until it's gone what they will miss. I've been here awhile now and met a lot of people because I was a Realtor and also belong to a lot of social groups. I would say it's almost 50/50 on who regret moving and who are glad they did. Majority of people I know that moved here from the northeast are almost always going back to visit. Probably not much in the winter but they do really enjoy the beach and lower taxes here. If it's possible to rent for a year and see how you feel after that, I would suggest doing something like that. Prices have mostly leveled since the foreclosure inventory has gone down but my guess is the prices will still be low in a year. Compared to up north anyway. I know interest rates have gone up some and in a year they may go up more but to me its worth taking the risk and renting and not getting yourself in a situation you may regret.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:36 PM

124 posts, read 227,724 times
We've been here almost 2 years, in Lafayette Park, Little River. We are in our early 60s, retired and from NJ. We do miss our family, especially our daughter, and I agree with Rapture, the holidays can be a time when one yearns to be closer to the family. However, we are living a much better life here financially, which affords us the opportunity to drive or even fly up pretty often. We are beach lovers and living 10 minutes from the beach is heaven. We've made lots of friends here and there is so much to do, it's crazy. If we stayed up north, there is no way we'd be able to go out and have as much fun as often as we can here. If we stayed up north, we'd have to live in a much smaller house or condo, not go out as often, and definitely not travel as much. It's definitely cheaper to live here, the weather is wonderful and it is a haven for us transplanted baby boomers. Having said that, we are not grandparents(yet ) and if we were, it might have been difficult to make this move. Nothing is perfect.

Last edited by RB1234; 10-14-2014 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
We are recent empty nesters who live in Michigan and always thought we would want to move somewhere like MB when we got older. We already own a condo there that stays rented out most of the year that we were thinking of selling and buying a house instead if we ever moved down.

However....our oldest child just got married last year and he and his wife are putting down roots here in Michigan already, having bought a house for themselves and a second house that they rent out. They love Michigan and have no desire to leave. Our daughter goes to college here in Michigan and, for whatever reasons, does not like the southeastern U.S. as a possible future home. We also have elderly parents on both sides who were wonderful, selfless, parents to us and who need us now more than ever.

Based on those facts, we will more than likely stay right where we are permanently. I look at it like this: we can live without the beach and warmer winters if we have to, but I know that we can't live without the people that we love and who love us, because to me, that is what makes life worth living. I never want to be the grandma who sees her grandkids once or twice a year, I want to be the grandma who bakes cookies with them and goes to all of their games (even if it is in a parka sometimes, lol!) Frequent fourteen hour drives or plane trips are not practical, and they would never be frequent enough for us anyway.

What we've decided to do is to continue to visit MB once or twice a year but really work on appreciating and not taking for granted the wonderful things about living in Michigan. Sure, we have snow and cold four months out of the year, but we have lovely weather for the other eight months. People are friendly and down to earth here, and we think it's very pretty. We can always be snowbirds when we retire, for maybe two months in the winter, that's all we would really need.

I realize that not everyone will feel the same way that we do, but for us, home is really where our hearts are.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:59 PM

328 posts, read 434,442 times
Moved here and no family. Most family members are 8 hour or more drive or a 2 hour plane flight.

We have already made two trips back to visit family, doctors appointment, birthday party etc. in the 3 months of being here.

We have had 2 sets of family members come here to visit as well.

You are living in MB, family will show up at some point for some vacation time.

People move for jobs etc all the time to locations with no family.

We do a lot of skype etc to keep in touch and be live with each other.

So far, would not go back to cold weather at this point as we are enjoying and fulfilling our plans of many years to live here in MB.

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions but you also have to enjoy the things you like to do.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 PM

161 posts, read 237,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggeerrific View Post
We will be moving down as of July 1, 2015 and our children will be in Ohio and Wisconsin.
We debated on where to live but decided on the Myrtle Beach area as due to our work since the boys have been on their own has always been a distance away.
Currently, we're in Rockland County, NY. The distance from our son in Ohio is virtually the same as the distance to MB. The distance from our two sons (and one daughter-in-law) in Wisconsin will also be close to the same as it is from here to Wisconsin.
Since 2009 we have not lived close to them so for us the adjustment will not be that difficult. For 45 years we have lived in various areas of the northeast and have already missed out on so many family events and being around siblings and their children who now have their own families, jobs, etc. that we don't feel a lot would change if we were closer.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times
We still have MB high on our list of relocation possibilities. My family are natives to NC/VA with a few in SC. While they don't live right in the area, some do have beach homes between NC and SC. I am going to start reaching out job wise winter of 16 to see what maybe open in school transportation-I am a dispatcher/driver. We are considering a few areas, Greenville/Fountain Inn, Brevard NC, New Bern NC, Greensboro NC, and Surfside Beach. It really is going to depend on the job market on where we land from upstate NY. We have been coming down since 99 to Surfside Beach for camping. Love the area but we know that jobs are more service industry related.That's the only downside we may run into and prevent us from coming to the area permanently. I have no sibling and both my parents are deceased. So no matter where I go, it'll just really be my hubby and myself with the kids coming into visit from where they are living by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area