Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 08:04 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,062,327 times

Advertisements

My family and I are going to be vacationing in Myrtle Beach in 15 days and we will be there for 6 days. I'm trying to find out the places to must at, places to avoid, the main things to do. There are 4 adults, and 3 kinda kids-15, 12, 10. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:35 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,636 times
Since no one else has responded, I'll give it a shot. The age spread of the kids makes it a little more difficult...the 15 year is going find the things that the 10 year old wants to do to be pretty "lame" if he/she is a typical 15 year old.

Things to do really depends on the types of things your family likes. There are tons of putt-putt courses, a few water parks, a few go-cart tracks. Broadway At The Beach has zip lines, boat rides, a very nice aquarium, Wonder Works (kind of a fun science thing), and tons of shopping and places to eat. There's Family Kingdom amusement park on the south end near the beach. The Skywheel is nice for those who don't like an open air ferris wheel. Take a horseback ride on the beach. There are a plethora of water sports activities...jet skis, banana boats, parachute attached to back of boat, sail boats, etc. Alligator Adventure was fun for our kids when they were about the age of yours.

There are two dinner shows which most kids like: Medieval Times (knights/horses) and Pirates Voyage (mermaids/pirates). We did Medieval Times and had a nice entertaining evening. We've heard good things about Pirates Voyage as well.

In the evenings, the Oceanfront Merchants Assn has free concerts with local bands on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings and other activities on other evenings. Bring a chair for the concerts as seating is limited. Market Commons on the south end also has some free concerts, shopping and a very nice park.

There are lots of shows to go to if you like that type of thing.

If the adults want to get away for an afternoon, there's a vineyard in Little River that has a nice wine/cheese/music event during the week and sometimes on Saturday afternoons.

And, of course, there's the beach and ocean!!!

The only thing I can think of to avoid is being out on the beach late at night. Just like any city, MB has its share of crime and running around late at night in dark areas is definitely not recommended. Oh, the other thing to avoid is driving on Ocean Blvd in the evenings...you go about 2 mph!!!!

What types of activities do your families enjoy?

Old 06-08-2014, 07:03 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,320,564 times
Assuming that you have not locked in your accommodations yet...

It depends on what kind of vacation you are looking for. If you want to party and be in the thick of the action, then staying the area of S. Ocean Blvd. around the Boardwalk and Skywheel would be a good choice. The down side of that area is that that is where much of the tourist related crime happens and the older, more run down motels that cater to a rougher clientele are located, although there are also much classier, high rise accommodations in that area, sort of a "something for everyone" type of atmosphere...but again, as long as you don't mind being in the thick of the action. If you like video arcades, open air souvenir shops with T-shirts displayed in the windows that you probably don't want your kids to read, and a more carnival atmosphere, then that is where you will want to be.

If you are looking for a quieter, more relaxing vacation, then I would highly recommend you steer clear of that area and find accommodations at least 1/2 mile north or south of it, especially since you are planning to be in MB during the start of the peak summer season when it is the busiest. We own a condo in the vicinity of N. Ocean Blvd. and 77th Ave. N., and I can say that that area is much more peaceful and laid back. There are residential neighborhoods between the high rise resorts, and the tourist trap type of stuff that you find on S. Ocean Blvd. is virtually nonexistent. Anything roughly north of 48th Ave. is a good area for families. I'm not saying that anything south of 48th Ave. is not family friendly, it just tends to be more congested and touristy.

My sister and her family have stayed in Garden City Beach on a couple of occasions, which is not very far south of MB, and just a short drive to most of the main attractions, and they found it to be very nice and relaxing as well.

If you haven't posted any questions on the MB forum of Tripadvisor, I would highly recommend it. That is more of a travel forum, where this is more of a relocation forum. In the meantime, this is a good link to get an idea of what there is to do and what events will be going on while you're there:

http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/thin...o/attractions/

Last edited by canudigit; 06-08-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-10-2014, 01:26 PM

Sorry, I guess I should have been a little more informative. We do have a hotel already booked in South Myrtle Beach but it looks like we are about 2 miles from the boardwalk. The kids I'm sure will love the beach and the pool and stuff around the hotel? I know for sure the husbands want to play golf, so the best golf course would be great. And I was also asking the good and bad of the restaurant scene? I figured the people who live there would know the best places to eat!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:18 PM

"Best golf course" would depend on his budget. If he doesn't mind dropping $100+ per round, there are a few that would fit that bill. But if he wants to stay under that amount, there are a different set that would be recommended.

Restaurant recommendations depend on several things...price range you want to pay, type of food and is the view important (do you want to be on the ocean view from the restaurant)?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 AM

As far as golf course, cheaper is preferred, around the $40-50 dollar range. Restaraunts nothing too fancy, affordable, type of food doesn't really matter. We will be there 6 nights so a variety. We plan on eating at the hotel for breakfast so this would be for lunch/dinner. And has to obviously be somewhat kid friendly. Some ocean front is fine, but we will have our vehicle and can drive a little too.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:21 AM

312 posts, read 733,339 times
Hi there,

Here is a linkie to some or most of the golf courses around town:

Myrtle Beach Golf Courses | Golf Package Providers | Golf Holiday My husband likes Wicked Stick on the south end when he joins his fellow officer friends on that end of the beach....from the website, the prices seem to be good and you have to book 72 hours in advance....

Here are some of our favorite spots to eat for a variety of different tastes and kid friendly and pretty good on the wallet as well!

Ultimate California Pizza.....several locations throughout Myrtle Beach
El Cerro Grande Mexican Restaurant....several locations throughout Myrtle Beach
Carrabba's Italian Grill....little more pricey..maybe you can save this one for a special night....two locations
Sea Captain's House....Excellent tourist restaurant right on the ocean....not too bad for lunch prices and awesome experience!
PF Chang's Bistro....at Market Common.....again fantastic lunch menu....and while you are near Market Commons, try Toffino's for a wonderful Italian sandwich and pastries for either dinner or lunchtime......yum!

I do always tell everyone as well to kind of stay clear of the humungous seafood buffets....they are really over priced in my opinion and not really all that great...now if you want to do a buffet....George's Seafood Buffet on Bypass 17 South is really good but expensive......and I think that if you are staying on the south end, any of the Murrrell's Inlet restaurants are wonderful to sit outside and look at the Inlet!!!

Hope you have a great time..let us know how it goes!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 PM

Adding to loveagrey1's lists:
Golf courses (focused on the south end since that's where you'll be staying)...not in any particular order:
Indigo Creek
Whispering Pines
Burning Ridge
Arrowhead (if you can catch a good special, it's a nice course but pricey without a special)

Restaurants:
Brother Shuckers (at the north end of Carolina Forest. Click here for a savings deal but you have to buy in the next 4 days http://myrtlebeach.dealsaver.com/eng...49088&p=12&p=2
Abuelo's (our absolutely favorite MB place to eat but you have to like Tex-Mex)
Thai Palms on Rt 707 near bypass 17 (if you like Thai food. It's a hole in the wall but the food is excellent)
If you want to do a buffet, Crabby Mike's in Surfside is the best IMHO
Drunken Jack's in Murrells Inlet
Hot Fish Club in Murrells Inlet
Nacho Hippo (the kids will like it) in Market Common
Toffinos (from loveagrey1's list...I second this one)
Bummz Beach Cafe (great views, decent food)

There aren't too many food places that I tell people to stay away from but I'll give you the three I always warn people about...Damon's, Key West Grill and T-Bonz. Don't waste your time or money...'nough said.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:42 PM

372 posts, read 659,811 times
The Sea Captain's House is always a favorite for a meal!
Sea Captain's House Restaurant Fine Seafood Dining | Sea Captain's House

Old 06-20-2014, 05:04 PM

10 posts, read 17,614 times
I live in Myrtle. The Sea Captains is a great restaurant on the water. Also reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area