Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 PM

9 posts, read 13,546 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, ages 65 and 62, are considering the MB area for a place to retire to. I am retired, my wife is semi-retired. We would like a one-level home no more than 25 miles to the beach. We primarily want 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a bonus room of some sort with a private back yard, not too close to neighbors. If anyone can recommend a good realtor, we would appreciate that too. Any information about weather and climate, housing costs, utility, water, cable, groceries, traffic, crime, part-time retirement jobs or volunteering opportunities would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 PM

13,380 posts, read 27,117,976 times
One-level homes are abundant in the area, and the 3/2 ranch is typical. You can spend anywhere from $80,000 to $400,000 depending on location and amenities in the neighborhood. There are some 55+ communities, but most are all-ages communities. You are more likely to get suggestions for neighborhoods if you specify your budget and whether you want golf or not.

Property taxes are generally low, but second homes are taxed at a higher percentage of assessment. The sales taxes are designed to extract revenue from tourists, so you will pay a variety of fees on top of sales tax, up to 11.5% on take-out meals.

The promoters of MB have developed this COL comparison chart, which you might take with a grain of salt: http://www.thinkmyrtlebeach.com/cost...alculator.html While the housing cost is the lowest, the utilities are the highest among the comparison cities.

The weather, as you would expect is hot and humid in the summer, and humid and mild in winter. It rarely freezes. Details can be found in the C-D profile on Myrtle Beach. You could also order a back issue of the "Where to Retire" magazine for Jan/Feb 2010.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-02-2014 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suomi48 View Post
We primarily want 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and a bonus room of some sort with a private back yard, not too close to neighbors....housing costs
There is a house at 205 Chatham Drive in the Carolina Forest area listed at $199,900. The taxes on it are only $731, as the assessment has gone down at lot since it was purchased in 2007. Since the purchase price was much higher, it might be a short-sale. At any rate, I just used it as an example of how low the taxes are. The house is what you describe except that the lot is about .2 acre. if you want a larger lot, you typically have to look at older houses or go further out to Conway (for example).

You ought to be able to get things like utility costs and homeowner's insurance through your Realtor.

Regarding part-time jobs, unless you can do consulting or work from home, most of the jobs will be in the hospitality business like bar-tending or table service.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:47 PM

Here's a comment on utilities bills in post #7, ie "ridiculosly cheap" at $120-150/month for electricity: https://www.city-data.com/forum/myrtl...locate-sc.html

Old 06-10-2014, 11:51 AM

55 posts, read 96,942 times
I am retired and live in Little River, Stones Edge. Houses are moderately priced, and was able to buy without a mortgage when I sold my Mass. house. We are 10 minutes from Cherry Grove beach, and close to shops, and highway. Less congestion that you find at Myrtle Beach, but close by, and near everything. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area