Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,842 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of buying a second/retirement home in SC, probably around Conway. I just read that there are alligators there, I had no idea. (We are from central PA) I know they are in Georgia but I didn't think they came up as far as Conway.
We have two shih tzus that I was hoping to be able to let out once in a while in a fenced in yard (No developments or HOAs). My question is, are there a lot of alligators around Conway? If so, what would you call a lot? Do you see one a week? Is it not safe to let the dogs out to play while I run the vacuum or something?
I can handle snakes, I have always been the one to stumble on to snakes, even as a child. I don't love them but they don't freak me out like they do most people. I also don't freak out over bugs, except for spiders. I HATE spiders.
Please tell me how bad the alligator situation is around MB/Conway. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,303 times
Gators go up a lot further than Conway and in to North Carolina...That said i never have or have i ever known anyone to have a problem with them. One found its way to the beach recently actually, google for story idk where I read it at. If you go lookng I am sure you will find them, Conway is a swampy place. But, i wouldnt say there are a ton in Conway, there are gator viewing areas at some of the parks in the area about 30 miles south.

I found this for you:
Attached Thumbnails
Alligators in Conway?-440px-rangemapx.gif  

Last edited by TablistaJ89; 05-26-2014 at 10:57 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TablistaJ89 View Post
Gators go up a lot further than Conway and in to North Carolina...That said i never have or have i ever known anyone to have a problem with them.
In response to the OP's question, she should be able to let her dogs loose in a fenced-in yard. She probably won't see an alligator unless she lives near a creek. However, a 12-foot alligator did attack and kill a dog in Jacksonville, North Carolina last year. The dog was loose playing near a creek, so I suggest being careful.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 31,612 times
Hawks and such have also been known to snatch a small dog. As a previous reader said, just be careful.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 AM

Another thought. If your dogs might tangle with a snake if they see one, you should keep the brush and undergrowth cleared away. Snakes hang around in the brush.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
This area has water all over, its very swampy, you can look on Google maps to see. This is also the south east so there are lots of snakes, bugs, spiders and yes alligators. You can live here 5 years and never see an alligator or you can see many. If in an HOA highly populated it's probably less likely since most animals dont want to be bothered by people, they want to stay away from them. It's people that go into their areas.

Not saying this to scare anyone away but all of those things are here and personally, I would not let a small child or dog alone roaming in the yard. I've heard many stories of small dogs being bit by snakes and killed here.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
If in an HOA highly populated it's probably less likely since most animals dont want to be bothered by people, they want to stay away from them. It's people that go into their areas.

Not saying this to scare anyone away but all of those things are here and personally, I would not let a small child or dog alone roaming in the yard. I've heard many stories of small dogs being bit by snakes and killed here.
I know the original poster said she did not want to be in an HOA community. However, many HOA communities do permit fences that are sufficient to deter an alligator, although golf course communities may prohibit them if you live on the course. So I think the OP could find a house in a less restrictive HOA community that would suit their need.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,842 times
Thanks for all the replies about alligators and other critters.
I don't mind a development with a HOA, I actually prefer them. The problem is my husband. He doesn't like retractions and he also wants at least five acres. I like restrictions. I like beautiful, tidy neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area