Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 9,861 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My husband and I visited Myrtle beach on vacation recently and loved it!!! We have decided to move our family of 6 from high crime Chicago to safer South carolina. we need advice on safe places to rent and should we find a job first or an apartment. We're looking to move by late August early September so the kids can go to school in the fall. Any advice would be great also what type of public trans is there to get around and how are the schools and how do the kids get to school from there? Thanks, Sorry so many questions. Thanks In Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,798,828 times
Dont be sorry and ask what you need to. I would suggest scrolling through the threads and reading, there is a lot of info..but to add - please realize being on vacation and living somewhere is very different. Not to say this is not the place for you but Chicago and MB are VERY different.

I would not move here unless you have a job lined up and you will read this many times on here. There are very few jobs and most are low wages. If you have four kids, I cant imagine moving this far without having jobs already. There is almost no public transportation, this is really not a city. It's a vacation/retirement area but there are many families here also.

Schools - you can Google for school ratings. This is Horry County, so thats how I would search it.

You mentioned crime, well thats debatable and has been debated on here. I guess it depends on what you are used to, some say it's high crime and others say it is not. Some say its because of vacation visitors so the rate is high. Most of the crime I see are local crimes and nothing to do with tourist season. I also came from a very low crime area so to me this is high crime but you should search for yourself. This is a search with some good links: https://www.google.com/search?q=deba...ty+crime+rates

For renting: Craigs List of course but being so far away be careful of scams, there are a lot on there. There are property managers you can search. Carolina Forest is one of the most popular areas for families with everything being nearby. You will read there is a lot of traffic around there and there is but again, its what you are used to. I dont think of that as a lot of traffic but I can see how some would say it is if they came from a quiet, less congested area. Search Horry County rentals, Myrtle Beach rentals as well.

I know you are excited but most important I would say is having jobs. Rent here is not that inexpensive but wages are low so maybe post what types of jobs you would be looking for and people can suggest things also.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,353,947 times
Like Rapture said, a job is a must. You can always worry about finding a place to rent later, but jobs are not as easy to come by. Congrats on your decision, we moved here last August from Michigan and really like it.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:18 PM

10 posts, read 9,861 times
Rapture,
Thank you so much!!!!! First if you watch the news you know that Chicago is an extremely high crime area, I think we're at 75 deaths or more so far this year and I'm not speaking of the suburbs. We live right in the thick of a high crime area and its ridiculous!!! We've been looking to leave for awhile and it just seems that it took for us to actually go away to realize it was really time to go. My husband works for Kroger but in Chicago its called Food 4 Less and he can transfer to a Kroger store in Myrtle beach, I am a customer service rep now but I have years of experience in healthcare, drug tester, customer service, insurance(Medicaid) etc..... So I'm hoping to get in with a healthcare facility. Kinda tired of call centers but I'll go back if I have to. I'll start my research on what you offered especially on schools for the kids. Thank you again

Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,798,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinoswife View Post
Rapture,
Thank you so much!!!!! First if you watch the news you know that Chicago is an extremely high crime area, I think we're at 75 deaths or more so far this year and I'm not speaking of the suburbs. We live right in the thick of a high crime area and its ridiculous!!! We've been looking to leave for awhile and it just seems that it took for us to actually go away to realize it was really time to go. My husband works for Kroger but in Chicago its called Food 4 Less and he can transfer to a Kroger store in Myrtle beach, I am a customer service rep now but I have years of experience in healthcare, drug tester, customer service, insurance(Medicaid) etc..... So I'm hoping to get in with a healthcare facility. Kinda tired of call centers but I'll go back if I have to. I'll start my research on what you offered especially on schools for the kids. Thank you again
Wel as long as you have the jobs, then the rest is a matter of preferred lifestyle and like you said schools. I cant really speak on the schools; I have a real estate license - not active but by law I cant give opinion on them. I can say, you can look at sites that rates schools and I would call the schools with a list of questions that are important to you.

Another thing to consider that I see a lot of ppl do not is this is a diferent culture. Don't move here expecting it to be "like back home" because it won't be. Its not vacation once you move and the midwest, northeast, south etc...are very different. Most move here and love it from what I can see and then some move here and leave to go back home within a year. I think it's good to rent first and test it out. With a family moving its hard to move and keep changing schools, etc...if you dont like it but at least you are not commited to a mortgage until you are sure you like it.

I feel like crime keeps being brought up on the whole forum especially with the recent events. I can only suggest, do more research on what areas you are considering. For example: Carolina Forest has their own free newspaper with police blotter. I'm guessing you can read it online. Go to the local news channels and newspaper web sites and read. Look on Horry County police web site and see what crimes have been commited and how often. These are just ideas for research.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 PM

55 posts, read 97,050 times
Can't help you on the rent question, but I live in Little River. Its a nice safe community with moderate priced homes. Close to hospitals, an grocery stores. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area