Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 PM

13 posts, read 28,024 times

Advertisements

Due to a job transfer my Husband must make a choice to move to one of these three states, ....

Elizabeth City, NC ...
Conway SC.....
Chesapeake, VA....

He has been working for the same company for years as upper management and would be making slightly over $50,000 a year. We are getting closer to retirement age and dont want to have to move once we retire.

My oldest daughter resides with me and has three small children still pre-school age. She has been a CNA for 10 years therefore she will be looking for a CNA Nursing home job and good schooling she would like to make a priority.

We have a couple horses with a few other small farm animals and wouldnt want to commute too far from these cites I mentioned above, Does anyone know of some nice rural farm areas? what rural areas would be near these cities without husband traveling more than 30 minutes a day.
Also Safety low crime area would be a priority.

Thank you for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 06:58 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,165,609 times
I had already recommended Conway in your NC thread, as the overall tax burden in South Carolina is currently the lowest of the three states. SC also has a $50,000 property tax exemption if you are over 65. However, please read the threads about sales tax. There are many ways to tax the tourists which also affect the permanent residents.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 AM

312 posts, read 734,449 times
Good morning goldenage....

I know others here will disagree with me, but I think Chesapeake, Virginia would be my choice with your criteria....especially regarding the horses, schools for your grandchildren and jobs for your daughter...
There are some rural areas around...Loris, Conway, Aynor but also please know MOST of the land is family owned and that means a few things: they will charge you a premium to buy, you will HAVE to have 100% of their family around you and that truly means a variety of problems...I have two very good friends that are now experiencing this and they cannot sell their homes and they haven't had much fun putting up with the "fun" problems that you can only imagine that comes with living in a rural area with people who aren't fond of you anyway for infringing on their land, etc.....if you would like more details, you can send me a message. My husband is in law enforcement and things don't always look rose colored as they appear...

As far as the salary, $50,000 is pretty good to live on in the area....but it truly depends on your individual expenses....

Chesapeake might be a bit more expensive but I have lived in horse country (Middleburg) in Virginia and also Northern Virginia near Washington D.C.....and I know the land is beautiful and the grass is real!

Best of luck to you in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: