Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 05:19 AM

32 posts, read 100,331 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning a move in the next 12 months from SE NC to SC.

I've spent some time going back and forth between these two developments. One (Carolina Forest) being in Myrtle and the other (Prince Creek) being in Murrells Inlet. As with everything else in life, I have pros and cons with each of them.

Carolina Forest has some very nice neighborhoods and homes and low HOAs, many under 100 a month. That's a big plus for me. Covington, Water Bridge, Waterford Plantation, all nice. When I go there I'm coming from Carolina Bays parkway, and when I leave I sometimes head out on 501. 501 is an interesting road, and by interesting I mean, it's usually crazy. I realize I can get to most places by using Carolina Bays and International Drive but will that always be practical? Right now 501 and its congestion is the one thing stopping me from keeping CF on my short list.

Prince Creek in Murrells also has some very nice neighborhoods and homes. The HOAs are higher, usually over 100 a month. The area around Prince Creek and TPC are nice also. My only issue with Prince Creek is, when I compare it to Carolina Forest, I can get more home for the money in CF.

If anyone lives in, or is considering living in either of these two communities and can their experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:46 AM

161 posts, read 331,205 times
We too looked at both and have decided on Carolina Forest. The traffic on 501 can be crazy, but so can the traffic on 707. Just depends on the time of day. We liked the central location of CF. Hopefully some who live in PC will chime in - I have heard some stories about the HOAs in PC ---some headed by retirees with little else to do but police their neighborhood. We also like the fact that CF was a diverse neighborhood age wise. Anything else you need to know feel free to PM me!

Old 05-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks for your feedback, KavH! Yes, the HOAs, that's a big issue for me. Currently I live in a subdivision in NC where the HOAs are 200 a month. I'm totally done with that. Since I don't use most of the amenities that 200 a month covers, it's a waste of money. I also agree about the central location of CF. Since I will be going back into NC often, as well as going down towards Charleston, CF is a good spot.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM

538 posts, read 1,010,481 times
Prince Creek owner here. HOA for me is 125 a month...it includes the usual grounds, pools, tennis, bocci, basketball, amenities center, BBQ area, but also has a guarded gatehouse. The common ground area is one of the nicest (IMHO)out of all the places we toured.
We like Murrells...seems to be a bit further away from the hustle & bustle. Yet, only a quick drive to it all. Brookgreen gardens, & huntington state beach are a 5 minute drive. Both places are a sanctuary for me wife.
I'm sure whatever area you chose, you will love it. Good Luck!!!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:54 PM

638 posts, read 998,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italjay View Post
Thanks for your feedback, KavH! Yes, the HOAs, that's a big issue for me. Currently I live in a subdivision in NC where the HOAs are 200 a month. I'm totally done with that. Since I don't use most of the amenities that 200 a month covers, it's a waste of money. I also agree about the central location of CF. Since I will be going back into NC often, as well as going down towards Charleston, CF is a good spot.
Know what you mean! We're in N.C. as well paying $143.00 a month and we thought that was bad! We are moving to Emmens Preserve in Market Common and it's only $62.00! If you don't mind me asking,which subdivision are you in? We are in Wilmington in Brookside Gardens.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 AM

'Lover Of Animals' - I currently live in Leland, Brunswick Forest, which is beautiful and worth the HOA fees charged, but I find I don't use/want the amenities so it's become a waste of money now.

'SC Here I come' - Yes! I agree. I was first attracted to Murrells because of Brookgreen and Huntington. I've looked at the model homes in Willow Bay, which is a gated area, they're very nice. I also looked in Linksbrook, Palm Bay and Bellwood Landing. I'll be looking for new construction only, some of the neighborhoods were nearly sold out. Driving around, it does look like some new neighborhoods will be starting soon.

I do a lot of walking, and would also like to get a golf cart to buzz around in. I believe I've seen folks riding around in golf carts in both CF and PC. I like not having to take the car out for everything.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 AM

638 posts, read 998,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italjay View Post
'Lover Of Animals' - I currently live in Leland, Brunswick Forest, which is beautiful and worth the HOA fees charged, but I find I don't use/want the amenities so it's become a waste of money now.

'SC Here I come' - Yes! I agree. I was first attracted to Murrells because of Brookgreen and Huntington. I've looked at the model homes in Willow Bay, which is a gated area, they're very nice. I also looked in Linksbrook, Palm Bay and Bellwood Landing. I'll be looking for new construction only, some of the neighborhoods were nearly sold out. Driving around, it does look like some new neighborhoods will be starting soon.

I do a lot of walking, and would also like to get a golf cart to buzz around in. I believe I've seen folks riding around in golf carts in both CF and PC. I like not having to take the car out for everything.
I guessed Brunswick Forest,but was curious if I was right. Thanks for letting me know. As I'm sure you already know,all the HOA fees in S.C. seem to be lower than N.C. no matter what the amenities. You get more tax breaks in S.C. as well. N.C. doesn't want to give you any breaks at all......unfortunately,they just want to keep taxing you to death.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 AM

13,382 posts, read 27,145,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
We're in N.C. as well paying $143.00 a month and we thought that was bad! We are moving to Emmens Preserve in Market Common and it's only $62.00!
Thank you. I have also been looking at South Carolina if I ever had to reduce expenses to live on one income. I like the quieter 55+ community called Woodlake in Murrells Inlet. One could easily drive the golf cart to a grocery store and doctor.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM

538 posts, read 1,010,481 times
Italjay,
Willow Bay is where I picked. I don't mind having hoas. Keeps everyone on the " same page ".
Good luck & welcome to SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area