Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 AM

8 posts, read 15,912 times

Advertisements

Just got back after a wknd visit w/my dad. He's 91 yr old, no health probs., mentally aok. Mom, younger by 10 yrs. and did everything for him, died last yr but deadbeat brother living w/Dad so no worries for me til now. They live on end of LI, Dad has no one to talk to, said he's not spending another winter in NY and wants to move to Myrtle Beach b/c his brother used to vacation in a trailer park there (not sure where or if he still does) and he's totally set on that area (he's never been there). So I'm flying down w/him (I live in DC) over Mem Day wknd to check out 2 Jensen 55+ communities - Ocean Pines/Magnolia, Country Lakes. He just wants a place of his own (my brother has said he's not moving w/dad), he reads a lot, wants to be around people, will hire a home health aide and/or cleaning person 1x/week to check on him, my husband & I will have DC house paid off in 3 yrs. and I'll retire early to live w/dad part of the yr and he'll spend time w/other sons in TX & VA. So...(sorry to take so long to get to point of this but there's no one in same situation in DC for me to tell story to!)...anything anyone can add for me to check out when we're down there next month? He's resistant to assisted living facilities, has a pension that will provide for plenty, savings to pay for a place in the price range of those 2 places. I'm thinking if there's a more expensive but better option, I can go in on it with him (already bought the retirement/vacation home in Hampton Roads, VA but am up for selling it and considering Myrtle Beach the new retirement place) and then my husband & I retire there. Is there taxi service for grocery shopping/library (doubt he'll pass a SC driving test)? Of course no monthly fees listed online so when we meet w/sales associates at those 2 places, anyone know of the fees I should be familiar with? Just want him to continue to be happy and have a nice life - in a much warmer place! Anyone with mobile home experience?...How much longer can I expect a 1990 mobile home to not need major repairs? thx for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:23 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDCer View Post
Of course no monthly fees listed online so when we meet w/sales associates at those 2 places, anyone know of the fees I should be familiar with? Just want him to continue to be happy and have a nice life - in a much warmer place! Anyone with mobile home experience?
I think the monthly park fees are in the neighborhood of $400-600. I would also compare the cost of a ground floor condo for your father, as a reinforced building will be better able to withstand possible storm damage. I would get nervous about someone living in a mobile home when hurricanes approach.

I lived in a mobile home as a kid, and know the roof needs coating every few years.

I checked the location of the Jensen communities in Garden City Beach and they are close to a Walmart, a Kroger and a Food Lion. He should not have a problem getting a taxi to the stores. There is also a grocery delivery service nearby called MyGofer.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-14-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I checked the location of the Jensen communities in Garden City Beach and they are close to a Walmart, a Kroger and a Food Lion. He should not have a problem getting a taxi to the stores. There is also a grocery delivery service nearby called MyGofer.
Since I might need a place like this when I am 91, I looked closely at the street views. From some of the units for sale, you could safely walk half a mile on the park road to the Food Lion. From the more southern lots, you could take a golf cart along a dirt trail and cross with a traffic light to get to the Krogers. I think your dad would be OK there.

My biggest concern would be if a hurricane hit. I would ask how much wind the units could stand. I would also ask if the town or county can help people evacuate to shelter in a strong building if they needed to.

I also checked Country Lakes in Little River. The units were newer (on average), but you would definitely need a taxi to get to a grocery store, as it was 5 miles away.

Good luck with the decision.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-14-2014 at 07:18 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 04:56 AM

8 posts, read 15,912 times
Default thx!

Thank you Goldenage1 for your replies...now I don't feel so panicky about the move. Will definitely check out the map street views. Have a great day! (small chance of snow in DC tonite as temps drop...looking forward to being in SC!)

Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentDCer View Post
Will definitely check out the map street views.
Ocean Pines/Magnolia Grove certainly looks attractive and mostly well-kept. I believe your dad would enjoy it.

BTW, the Creekside Taxi in Murrells Inlet looks good. However, I would think he would very quickly find neighbors willing to drive him.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-15-2014 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I lived in a mobile home as a kid, and know the roof needs coating every few years.
Sorry, I should have said shingles, not coating. A home made in 1990 may need its shingle roof replaced. I would certainly ask about that. Similarly, the appliances, heating and air conditioning may need to be replaced. If the wall have imitation wood paneling, I would see about replacing it with drywall, which is less likely to burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area