Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,346 times

Advertisements

I live in CT. I have two friends who live in PA. We are looking to move south, as it is cheaper, and we are so sick of winter. We are all in our 50's. They both need to work, but I am on disability. We like Conway. Is this a good place where they can get jobs, and I can find senior activities and services for me? Also, I may not be able to drive down the road. We have free Dial-A-Ride here, do you have something like that in Horry County? My friend has bad hips and may also become disabled eventually. They are both in the administrative field. Also, we need good medical services and a good hospital. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM

790 posts, read 1,630,359 times
We also moved here from CT as well and you need to understand that it is quite different than CT...not necessarily "bad" different...just different. So, you need to be prepared for a different lifestyle. Think carefully about where you want to move. The south is, generally, cheaper than the northeast but wages are also lower so it's all relative unless you have some way of replacing your northeastern income or don't need to work. Escaping the bad weather is great, but make sure that the other things you need exist where you want to move.

If your friends need to continue to work, they SHOULD NOT move here until they secure employment. Unemployment in Horry County still tops 9% and jobs are difficult to find especially if one of the friends is close to going on disability. The reality is that someone over 50 who appears to be "frail" would find landing a job even more difficult.

Dial-a-ride does not exist in Horry County. The bus company offers some type of special services for a fee but it is being cut back due to lack of funds. So, if you depend on Dial-a-ride for transportation, Horry County/Conway/Myrtle Beach is not where you want to be. Sorry to provide bad news, but it is the reality of life here.

Medical care, based on what I've read, is actually pretty good here. One hospital is one of the top rated heart hospitals in SC. We, fortunately, have not had to access health care other than mostly routine exams, etc. so I can't speak from first hand knowledge.

Hope this helps you make the best decision for you at this point in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area