Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 AM

3 posts, read 7,598 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone. I know this question has been asked a number of times. However ever thread I have found is from prior years.
So here we go. My husband and myself live in the same town in Massachusetts we were raised in, also our parents and grandparents so on... and no one has every ventured to living anywhere else. We have children ages 4 and 6. I have always wanted to live some place warmer. I am so so tired of days that get to be in the negative numbers.

We never even been to South Carolina but are taking our first trip there in June to Myrtle Beach. I am a big beach fan and always wanted to be around palm trees and ocean. My husband would never move to Florida. So in a spur of moment compromise we have been talking about moving to the MB area. I hear so many negative comments but also good ones. As far as schools I have looked in the Carolina Forest School area and their rating is actually higher then the school my children attend here in MA by 3 points.

My husband started looking around for jobs and found a company he knows in Loris and was offered a position. We are homeowners but decided if we do sell and move to the MB area we would start off in apartment so we can scout the area and not be rushed in to buying anything right away. We were looking in the reserve at ridgewood plantation (any opinions there).

When I was looking at houses on Trulia.com and I check out the crimes a lot of them say gunshots in the area have been fired, on a particular day in February as well as March. Does that happen a lot?

Look I know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. However when you lived your whole live in one place and you are cold and tired in your 30's, I don't see the later years being any happier here. I also read a lot of comments about the rudeness. Well I am from the North we are use to rudeness it comes with the bitter cold.

I am also looking to give my children an opportunity to grow and and experience a different lifestyle then, having another generation raised and possibly never venturing out and experiencing new things.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You !!!

Last edited by sickofsnow1980; 03-15-2014 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,160,827 times
Very smart to rent before you buy. Understand this, you are moving to the South. Life is much slower paced and that may bug you. However, the quality of life is fantastic.

I was born and raised in Myrtle Beach and had an idyllic childhood.

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 AM

Thank you, blueherons I am really looking to slow things done, even know it might get on my nervous at some point. We are very fast paced and always in a rush. My husband right now works 60 hours a week to support our family so I can raise our boys and I was working on my first degree.
I want to be able to enjoy more quality time as a family and be together more. We would be able to have the opportunity to do that any wheres south, since the cost of living is very high in the north.
Also there isn't a lot to do around here besides hiking and the park. Which is okay but I would like more outdoor activity stuff, like fairs, beach, etc.. Not going to lie very nervous, but excited.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,563 times
As one who is in the process of moving to MB (from Boston for 5 years and San Diego for 25 years) we have been looking in the Longs or Carolina Forest area. My new husbands son (from Lancaster, PA) just moved to open the first gastropub in MB area and got a place for his family in the Carolin Forest area and says good things about it.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM

62 posts, read 117,202 times
There are some great neighborhoods (some brand new) in the Longs area.
Colonial Charters is very nice and has a brand new neighborhood going up with a great builder doing 2x6 construction. Longs is very close to the beach and is a really nice area.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM

39 posts, read 84,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyjoool View Post
As one who is in the process of moving to MB (from Boston for 5 years and San Diego for 25 years) we have been looking in the Longs or Carolina Forest area. My new husbands son (from Lancaster, PA) just moved to open the first gastropub in MB area and got a place for his family in the Carolin Forest area and says good things about it.
Just curious - curious about the 'gastropub' - please share! Thanks!

We will be closing on our house on the 29th of April. We sold our home on Feb. 24th and are anxious to get to SC. It's been a long cold winter and look forward to the change in lifestyle!

I hope your move goes smoothly for you!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,184 times
We are also considering a move to MB. We live on Maui right now and are looking to cash out to some place more affordable.
We need to sell our business (in process) and condo (haven't placed on market yet) before we could move. I'm hoping we can get out of here in January 2015. We need to get our daughter into school by next fall and want to be established by then.

We are a family of three --hubs, 4yr old daughter, and myself. Originally from Ohio & KY. Most of our family is still there and we rarely get to see them. I get bored here a lot and honestly I like the bigger beaches in MB better. I went to MB every summer for dance competitions and some of my best memories are from there. I love the southern folk, the slower pace (which will actually seem fast after living on Maui), and the food. OMG I miss good food. I also miss road trips and it would be nice to be able to drive home to see our family.

Haven't told many people yet because we know they will try to talk us out of it. BUT I just can't stand living in such close quarters and I could never afford to have enough space here without working 2 jobs to afford it and then I couldn't even enjoy the atmosphere from working so darn much. It's also very expensive for us just to leave the island so we rarely get to see our family or go on vacation. I don't mean to complain, but I have to find a happy medium.

We plan to rent an apartment first and buy a duplex after we get to know the area.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:44 AM

Hey guys thanks for the post... We still are unsure of what we will be doing. However we will be in MB June 1st for a vacation and scout the area. I always wanted big change, but at the same time it scares me LOL... anyway. Any one living in the area with kids please feel free to post about Schools, and things to do besides the beach and boardwalk, other areas we should check out...

Old 05-05-2014, 12:23 PM

29 posts, read 109,519 times
Just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel! I am in NY and so interested in moving south to escape the brutal winters and high cost of living (and taxes that are a killer). My parents own a condo in MB so we are there every year and very familiar with the area, we do travel the other parts of the strand a lot and explore. I would love to move down but unfortunately it would be very hard for us to find jobs, so I guess I have to wait until hubby retires at least!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM

538 posts, read 1,010,814 times
Luster...make the move the day he retires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area