Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:20 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times

Advertisements

Linda, one thing I would add to these comments is that although I agree with avoiding 501 and the busy main Myrtle Beach area, don't let east of 17 areas fall off your list. Our insurance rates are not high because of living east of 17 and it's a wonderful thing to be able to walk or ride a golf cart to the beach.

I see that you will be staying in NMB at your sister's condo. Are you looking to live in that area or have you also considered living south of MB? I live in Surfside Beach and love almost all of the neighborhoods that are south of MB and east of 17. If you are interested in those areas at all, I strongly suggest that you check out Surfside Beach, Garden City Beach, MI and PI.

Best of luck in finding your perfect home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 PM

253 posts, read 470,225 times
vrexy...Got your PM and will answer tomorrow. I know Myrtle Beach from North to South and actually I would prefer to be further south. We love Surfside the best - Pawley's is just too much out of our price range but that's where I tended to go back in the day!

I know there are areas that are not in flood zones that are east of 17, but I worry about the fickle Congress and the long-term. With FEMA in a deep red hole, I know at some point there will be legislation to changes rates. We will be on a tight budget so I have to anticipate a potential high-rate scenario. I also tend to worry about the future more than I should!

If I could have my way, I'd live in the north end of Surfside...both of us love the look and feel and being so near the beach would be a special treat. However, not sure I'm brave enough to chance it!

Oh and NMB is not my first choice...it's just that my sister has "free" room for me to stay when I go house hunting later this year!

Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 AM

55 posts, read 96,786 times
please consider Little River. We live in the community of Stones Edge. The houses are moderately priced, and we are near to beaches, hwys, and shops. It takes us 10 minutes to get to Cherry Grove beach, and we love it here. Good luck in choosing a place you'll be happy in. We're very glad we chose Little River!

Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM

166 posts, read 789,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
Busy...thank you for some great advice. Finding a realtor has been a challenge...I have been given a few names from friends of my family, but so far, they have not impressed me (one actually sounded rather "high" on something and kept trying to push me to buy right now before prices go up even though I insisted I had to wait until I retire!). But I do have a few names I plan to check out.

Fortunately, I can stay at my sister's condo in NMB for as long as I need from December forward until I find the right place.

NCBND...yes, I have become wise thanks to the great advice on this board! I know to stay away from 501, east of 17 and the ICW due to insurance plus have gotten the scoop on some great and not-so-great places to live. Fortunately, I do know the area and having my sister available to look each time she travels 3 1/2 hours to her condo has been helpful!

A few more specific questions for anyone...

1. How did you handle the mover decision?
2. Has anyone done a reverse mortgage purchase (I know the downside of rm but this may be the only way we can get a decent place). I'm not sure if realtors in MB know much about this, and am just curious if you did it or thought about it.
3. Are pets an issue in HOA places? I have 3 very, very small chihuahuas - all indoor except for potty time but I also have a beautiful indoor/outdoor cat (neutered) and I really want him to move with us!
4. I know HOAs can differ, but are there areas where they are absolutely crazy and bug you to death?

I'll leave it at that for now, but I may have more questions if you great folks don't mind! I am getting SO nervous about giving up my career as a professor and more importantly, my regular paycheck!

Thanks in advance....shabbycasa AKA Linda
On question #2 you can't do a reverse mortgage purchase on a condo unless it is FHA approved and on their list. I looked into reverse mortgage purchases but haven't decided if we want to go that route.

Last edited by Waiting2go; 04-27-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:53 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
2. Has anyone done a reverse mortgage purchase (I know the downside of rm but this may be the only way we can get a decent place). I'm not sure if realtors in MB know much about this, and am just curious if you did it or thought about it.
I am not sure what "reverse mortgage purchase" is. However, we handled a move from Maryland to retire in coastal North Carolina. We first took out a home-equity line of credit on our house in Maryland. (Our house was fully paid off and we have excellent credit.) Then we found a rental tenant who wanted an option to buy the house in Maryland.

With the proceeds of the home-equity LOC and some extra cash, we purchased a house in NC. The house in Maryland was rented for 2+ years and the tenant finally purchased the house. Everything worked very smoothly, and we have been exceptionally lucky. So now we own a house in a coastal community with no debt.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizamy View Post
please consider Little River. We live in the community of Stones Edge. The houses are moderately priced, and we are near to beaches, hwys, and shops. It takes us 10 minutes to get to Cherry Grove beach, and we love it here. Good luck in choosing a place you'll be happy in. We're very glad we chose Little River!
lizamy...I have looked at Stones Edge and like the prices! Also like that it's close to everything...that becomes more important as we age - which we seem to be doing too quickly!

I love Little River but have never vacationed there - Surfside and Pawley's were my hang-outs back-in-the day!

I think I would even like the "rowdy" part of the life at the waterfront, but just to visit - couldn't live there I don't think!

Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting2go View Post
On question #2 you can't do a reverse mortgage purchase on a condo unless it is FHA approved and on their list. I looked into reverse mortgage purchases but haven't decided if we want to go that route.
Not going with a condo - hubby has to have room to stretch! Thanks for the info, though. I'll have to do a reverse unless our home sells for more than I expect. We live in a very rural, very poor area and though we have a really nice older home, the area has really gone down over the last decade.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Reverse mortgage purchase works same as if you own your home outright. You just have to put up about half of the cost in cash and then mortgage the balance. Of course, unlike a traditional mortgage, the reverse doesn't have to be repaid - or paid monthly - unless you move or die () or if you don't keep up your taxes/insurance, they can foreclose. Also, the balance goes up every month instead of down.

My sons are okay with the possibility that they may not inherit a place at the beach, so since my hubby has no children, we're okay with the reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I am not sure what "reverse mortgage purchase" is. However, we handled a move from Maryland to retire in coastal North Carolina. We first took out a home-equity line of credit on our house in Maryland. (Our house was fully paid off and we have excellent credit.) Then we found a rental tenant who wanted an option to buy the house in Maryland.

With the proceeds of the home-equity LOC and some extra cash, we purchased a house in NC. The house in Maryland was rented for 2+ years and the tenant finally purchased the house. Everything worked very smoothly, and we have been exceptionally lucky. So now we own a house in a coastal community with no debt.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Reverse mortgage purchase works same as if you own your home outright. You just have to put up about half of the cost in cash and then mortgage the balance. Of course, unlike a traditional mortgage, the reverse doesn't have to be repaid - or paid monthly - unless you move or die () or if you don't keep up your taxes/insurance, they can foreclose. Also, the balance goes up every month instead of down.
Thanks for the explanation. I might have to use that eventually.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I ran across a development where they mentioned a reverse mortgage purchase option: Seasons at Prince Creek in Murrells Inlet. It is a nice but fairly expensive 55+ community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area