Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,403,937 times

Advertisements

Publix Announces First Stores for Myrtle Beach and Pawleys Island, South Carolina (Publix, 2013-10-08)

Publix announced today it will expand into Horry and Georgetown counties and the Pee Dee region with two new stores each in North Myrtle Beach and Pawleys Island.

Over the past year and recently, the grocery scene in North Carolina and South Carolina has been changing. Publix announced its expansion into North Carolina and establishment of its Charlotte Division. Harris Teeter announced it is being acquired by Kroger. Piggly Wiggly Carolina is selling 22 stores to Bi-Lo and 7 stores to Harris Teeter. Bi-Lo announced seven of its Charlotte region stores were being sold to Publix.

With Kroger and Harris Teeter having presence along South Carolina's coastal counties, Publix must have thought it was time to enter the last major region of the state. With stores announced for North Myrtle Beach and Pawleys Island, one wonders if Florence is in the plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 02:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,109,818 times
I think one in Florence is a foregone conclusion. I do think they want to get established in MYB first. I see only one store being built in Florence though.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM

Florence would easily support two Publix stores, specifically on the western and southern ends.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:03 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,845,016 times
Although I'm not convinced PI really needs another grocery store, Publix is a huge victory because it is scheduled to be in the location where strong, organized citizen activism prevented Walmart from building. I think Publix will be well received, but the developer they are working with represents all that is wrong with SC coastal development, trying everything possible to avoid complying with existing zoning and building design guidelines. Amazingly, in some instances, local authorities actually stood up to his tactics, but he still managed to find ways to avoid being a good commercial citizen. Whatever ends up there, and Publix seems to be a done deal, is going to arrive to many bad attitudes and negative opinions. More than a few have said they won't shop there, regardless of what goes in. The impact is particularly visible because Lowe's Food is in the process of building a store just a few miles away, and they have gone out of their way to ensure they are in compliance and to establish themselves as a good corporate member of the community.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:11 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Florence would easily support two Publix stores, specifically on the western and southern ends.

Sure, the population is there, but I don't think the demographic metrics that Publix uses are.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Although I'm not convinced PI really needs another grocery store, Publix is a huge victory because it is scheduled to be in the location where strong, organized citizen activism prevented Walmart from building. I think Publix will be well received, but the developer they are working with represents all that is wrong with SC coastal development, trying everything possible to avoid complying with existing zoning and building design guidelines. Amazingly, in some instances, local authorities actually stood up to his tactics, but he still managed to find ways to avoid being a good commercial citizen. Whatever ends up there, and Publix seems to be a done deal, is going to arrive to many bad attitudes and negative opinions. More than a few have said they won't shop there, regardless of what goes in. The impact is particularly visible because Lowe's Food is in the process of building a store just a few miles away, and they have gone out of their way to ensure they are in compliance and to establish themselves as a good corporate member of the community.
A Publix is always better than a Walmart. It may not be smart growth planning, but I hope any effects are minimized to a reasonable extent.

As you mentioned Lowe's Foods, I wonder how long they will keep their doors open. They are closing stores in North Carolina where Publix announced new stores. I guess lacking necessities like pharmacies and stronger competition against Harris Teeter and Publix for quality, service and value can be too much for Lowe's Foods to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area