Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,714,979 times

Advertisements

But, don't you get a good feeling when a lifeguard shows up and whistles for the far out people to head inwards?

Some people go way to far out in the ocean. Sometimes I feel like the person on duty. I'm sure those who lost their'

lives recently had that same mindset. Untrained, but thinking they can handle it...they head out to save someone.

I do realize NJ does overkill. I lived there most of my life. But, they were always there to save you. I had two lifeguards

come to save me one time in Atlantic City and I actually didn't need saving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,565,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
But, don't you get a good feeling when a lifeguard shows up and whistles for the far out people to head inwards?

Some people go way to far out in the ocean. Sometimes I feel like the person on duty. I'm sure those who lost their'

lives recently had that same mindset. Untrained, but thinking they can handle it...they head out to save someone.

I do realize NJ does overkill. I lived there most of my life. But, they were always there to save you. I had two lifeguards

come to save me one time in Atlantic City and I actually didn't need saving.
You just like the attention of those young hot lifeguards..... Just kidding. When our children were young I was happy to see the lifeguards present. It meant I was watching and they were watching. Now that those days are long gone, I could care less (selfish, I know). But when our granddaughter visits and wants to go to the beach or pool, I will be hoping for lifeguard supervision.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:59 PM

253 posts, read 471,416 times
Can this issue about lifeguards be brought up at city or county council meetings? I know I'm not there yet, but it seems like a logical place to start...just saying.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 AM

130 posts, read 184,880 times
I believe that there is a better comfort level with tourists seeing multiple lifeguards on duty. But in some cases it is taken for granted where people don't pay attention to their children and/or loved ones while they frolic in the water. Lifeguards like most things cost money, giving them dual job responsibilities cuts a cost somewhere down the line. In addition adding more lifeguards will necessitate more guard stations. Trust me I think safety is the issue at hand but money plays its part. Looking through the NMB websites I found that lifeguards make between $10-$13 and hour, and in their recent picture I counted approximately 81 guards for NMB alone. Stating the average of $11.50 an hour just for the months of May, June, July and August can potentially be astronomical.

$11.50 * 40 hrs= $460 a wk
17 weeks (May/June/July/August) * $460= $7820
$7820 * 81 (guards) = $633,420

So I can see the city making them do two different things so that they can turn a profit.

The other thing that came up was the use of the water warnings. To be honest as many times as I visited a beach when I was a kid and even and adult, I didn't have a damn clue what those flags meant. Potentially publishing them in the SunnyDay magazine would raise awareness. If memory serves (and I don't guarantee that i'm right) flags in NC do not necessarily mean the same thing in SC. Outer Banks (Corolla/Corolla Light/Duck) utilized flag designs and not the colored warning flag version in SC.

Its about people taking the responsibility to watch their own. Obviously cost is a major factor as to why the limited number of guards exist, but raising awareness to visitors may be a good stance for the city to take.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM

382 posts, read 871,268 times
I vacaton at Myrtle every year, I will never return if they beaches go paid. That being said, I like the "swim at own risk" policy. Too much personal responsibility and common sense has been taken away for the 'someone will always save me' mentaltity. Eventually you wind up with so many rules and regulations (someone mentioned N.J.) that the fun wears off fast, espically if the lifeguards or other person in charge gets a power complex.

I understand accidents happen and even the best swimmers get in trouble, and yes it's a shame when someone looses a life, but even the lifeguards when completly focused can't save them all.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 PM

I think it was a 14 year old that just drowned yesterday at Surfside Beach.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
You just like the attention of those young hot lifeguards..... Just kidding. When our children were young I was happy to see the lifeguards present. It meant I was watching and they were watching. Now that those days are long gone, I could care less (selfish, I know). But when our granddaughter visits and wants to go to the beach or pool, I will be hoping for lifeguard supervision.
Emmhemmm, You could be right there tmozer. If one looks like Channing Tadem.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,683,683 times
I agree that it is ridiculous to have lifeguards who are also doing double duty renting out chairs and umbrellas. It is also awful that people are drowning in the ocean. Of course, no matter how many lifeguards there are, people will still drown and some can't be saved. Yes, money is a factor, but no matter how much money is spent, people will still die. People need to take more responsibility for their own lives and not be swimming out too far, etc. But people are stupid and these things are going to happen, no matter what.

That being said, I would also really hate it if our beaches turn into a police state like they are in NJ. You can't even take a nap on the beach there without one of those beach patrol people coming over to wake you up and demand to see your beach tag. In NJ at most beach access places, they have 2 people sitting in chairs demanding to see your tag! That is just ridiculous. And no, I don't "get a good feeling" when I hear the beach lifeguards blowing their whistles to call people in and herd them into certain areas of the ocean. I find it almost as annoying as when I have to listen to other people blasting their music. The worst is the hotels and the piers and the boardwalk, where music from speakers is blasting really loud and interfering with what should be a peaceful enjoyment of the outdoors and the sounds of nature - the ocean, children laughing, birds singing, etc.

People need to take some responsibility for themselves and quit relying on others to "save" them from their own stupidity.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:03 PM

Gee Vrexy I kinda like to hear "soft" music at the beach or some oldies in the air.

I would hate if MB started to charge a fee for the beach. That is awful, and with a bunch of kids
it became expensive.

BTW....Gotta' smile from your hubby today, sure he doesn't know who I am though.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:23 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,683,683 times
Default Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Gee Vrexy I kinda like to hear "soft" music at the beach or some oldies in the air.

I would hate if MB started to charge a fee for the beach. That is awful, and with a bunch of kids
it became expensive.

BTW....Gotta' smile from your hubby today, sure he doesn't know who I am though.
I guess you were at his office. Glad he smiled at you! He is a smiling friendly type! Next time, introduce yourself to him!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area