Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:05 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times

Advertisements

I often check the SUN newspaper for local news. I like to keep up with things down here, I have read several times about police catching people on the beach late at night around 2 am or later doing things they shouldn't. One was a couple doing a little private skinny dipping and another was a teen who had removed his cloths for a brief late night stroll...Gez man it seems like the cops are being a little sneaky . I thought cops went to calls for service and didnt just sneak around at 3am in the dark trying to catch someone kissing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 06:36 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Meh, gives the cops something to do after Bike Week.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:32 PM

It appears they are hiding in the dark any place they can find on the beach waiting to jump out and arrest people.That is what it appears to be the case to me.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
Wait...you said the people are doing things "they shouldn't be doing". But yet, complaining the Police are doing their jobs? How do you know people aren't calling, and making complaints to the Police about this?? Maybe the couple skinny dipping were drunk & loud, and causing trouble before they decided to go for a swim. I've spent many a nights in beach front condos where I hear people hooping & hollering all times during the night.
Let the Police do their job...it's an ungrateful one as it is.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Not sure why you think a foot patrol officer is "sneaking around and hiding in the dark".....And there is more to the story than public nudity (which is against the law BTW) At any rate, this wasn't just a case of a sweet romantic swim. These people were totally drunk and acting crazy. Perhaps if they had not been so intoxicated and irrational with the police they would have been let go with just a warning.

~

MYRTLE BEACH — An early-20s something man and woman from Northern Virginia were charged with public nudity after being discovered without clothes on North Myrtle Beach at 2:45 a.m. Sunday, according to an arrest report from the North Myrtle Beach Police Department.

The report said that a beach patrol officer was on foot patrol when he discovered Kyle Martin Schnoebelen of Fairfax, Va., and Jasmine Kim Walton of Potomac Falls, Va., both 22 or 23, completely nude.

Walton appeared to be “grossly intoxicated” and was uncooperative and argumentative when approached by police, the report said. Her speech was reportedly slurred, she smelled of alcohol and she refused to give officers here name or date of birth.

Police said the couple told them they disrobed to take a swim and that their clothes were gone when they returned to the beach.

The report said the couple were covered with sheets before being handcuffed and taken to the North Myrtle Beach Jail.

Contact STEVE JONES at 444-1765.

Read more here: MYRTLE BEACH: Nude couple arrested on North Myrtle Beach | Crime | MyrtleBeachOnline.com

Old 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM

34 posts, read 109,922 times
I understand what crestliner is saying. I think part of the problem is the way in which the story is reported. There is usually a lack of detail in the articles that contributes to the impression that the police don't have bigger fish to fry. Certainly, the fact that the newspaper's website puts those articles front and center makes them seem more important than they are. Tales of rowdy people typically don't make headline news in larger cities. Highlighting tawdry and salacious stories seems to be a priority for The SunNews/Myrtle Beach Online.

Last edited by citynelg; 06-17-2013 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Default Uh, no.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by citynelg View Post
I understand what crestliner is saying. I think part of the problem is the way in which the story is reported. There is usually a lack of detail in the articles that contributes to the impression that the police don't have bigger fish to fry. Certainly, the fact that the newspaper's website puts those articles front and center makes them seem more important than they are. Tales of rowdy people typically don't make headline news in larger cities. Highlighting tawdry and salacious stories seems to be a priority for The SunNews/Myrtle Beach Online.

Sorry, but no, this was not a case of just the Sun News reporting this story. (Although I agree with you that they do have some strange headline articles.) If you google this, you will see that it was widely reported by a lot of newspapers and websites, including the NY Daily News.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM

34 posts, read 109,922 times
Isn't New York Daily News a trashy gossip tabloid? Or is that the NY Post? I understand what you're saying. Sex sells newspapers. Or at least that's what we've been led to believe. Nevertheless, my point is that stories about skinny dipping and arresting people for cursing and dancing in the street don't grace the cover of papers like the Charlotte Observer on a regular basis, whereas here they do. Maybe there's nothing else going on in Myrtle Beach.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,269 times
NY post is the trash of the big 3 city papers.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 AM

I can see a patrol car checking for people sleeping on the beach because that is illegal. But having foot patrols dressed in dark with night vision binoculars running around dunking and hiding like the are 'mission impossible agents" seems a little over the top for me...Sneaking up on people is what it appears to be . I saw where they snuck up on 2 guys playing with bottle caps at 130am in the morning and arrested them for illegal gambling too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area