Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 AM

5 posts, read 22,937 times

Advertisements

We are relocatiing from Maryland to SC. We have been looking in the Charleston area but am able to go as far north as Murrells Inlet where I have seen a nice home that I like. We have a 6 year old daughter and would like opinions on which area may be better. We have vacationed in Myrtle for the last 10 years and have never been to Charleston, Summerville area. Summerville is where we were looking if we go that far south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM

790 posts, read 1,626,205 times
When we were looking to move to SC, we also looked at Summerville as well as Myrtle Beach and Greenville. We absolutely loved Summerville but ultimately chose Myrtle Beach because we wanted to be within a short drive to the beach. Summerville was at least a 30 minute drive in good traffic and even longer when traffic was heavy...just too far for what we wanted. Had Summerville been closer to the beach, we would have moved there instead.

If easy beach access is not important to you, Summerville would be a nice community. But if you want be able to drive to the beach quickly and easily, you should look at Murrells Inlet.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM

20 posts, read 52,414 times
I highly encourage you to visit Charleston. My wife and I vacationed there in 2010 and when we visited Myrtle Beach in 2012 we took a day trip to Charleston. It is a great place to visit. As far as living there, I'm not so sure. After visiting Charleston in 2010, we thought that was where we wanted to move when we retired. After visiting Myrtle Beach in 2011 and 2012, we have changed our minds.

I am by no means an expert, but it appears to me that it is easier to get around in the Myrtle Beach area than Charleston due to the Interstate traffic in Charleston. I know you were talking about more about Summerville than Charleston, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Again, I am by no means an expert, but CTyankee54 is right in line with what I have found in my research. If you want to drive to the beach quickly and easily, the Myrtle Beach area seems best. It seems to me like any of the towns near Myrtle Beach would be pretty good including Murrells Inlet, which is very high on our list of places to move to when we retire.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:07 PM

158 posts, read 346,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im4given View Post
We are relocatiing from Maryland to SC. We have been looking in the Charleston area but am able to go as far north as Murrells Inlet where I have seen a nice home that I like. We have a 6 year old daughter and would like opinions on which area may be better. We have vacationed in Myrtle for the last 10 years and have never been to Charleston, Summerville area. Summerville is where we were looking if we go that far south.
If you love the beach, Summerville would most likely not work for you. It is more or less your basic suburbia. There is a quaint downtown area with some restaurants and shopping, but very small. There is also a shopping center with your basic stuff....Target, Kohls, Pier I, a movie theater and fast food. Across the highway is WalMart with a few small chain stores and a Belk. Summerville was where the wealthy folks from Charleston would go for the summer many years ago so there are some beautiful old homes near the downtown area. There seem also to be an abundance of churches of every denomination for a town it's size. I don't know much about the school system, but it appears to be a very nice place to raise a family. There is lots of traffic though due to many folks moving into the area with the new Boeing plant etc. Hope this is helpful..good luck.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM

158 posts, read 346,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im4given View Post
I just remembered something else about Summerville that might interest you. There is an area called Cane Bay Plantation about 20 minutes to downtown Summerville and closer to the shopping centers I mentioned...Walmart and Azalea Shopping Center. This is large community with a nice entry in. It is made up of several individual neighborhoods and is relatively new with lots of new construction if want a new home with good price points. What may interest you is that there is a new elementary school, middle school and high school right within Cane Bay so your 6 year old would go to school inside the main community of Cane Bay. There is also a nice new Publix at the entry of Cane Bay with smaller shops opening around it...hairdresser, nail place, liquor store, Chinese restaurant, etc. You might want to look into this if still interested in Summerville.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 PM

19 posts, read 105,939 times
I am not sure what you are really looking for but my son also was looking for a place to live down by summerville so he was working with a realtor and every thing he showed him in that area was crap so they finally found a place in goose creek and they like it alot better then summerville i live in conway so we are only 2 hrs away witch makes it nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area