Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM

96 posts, read 220,627 times

Advertisements

LMAO thank you for the chuckle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,685,933 times
I don't know the inner workings of hogs. I do know that each feral cat we rescued has a different personality. Each had a heart of gold. Many were shy, many were more bold. Some understood that "you" were their protector from the "evil" home cat two doors down. I watched them be kind to their brothers...I watched them protect their sister. Befriend my dog, and love to run in the grass or play in the sunshine.
Many could have been house cats with a bit of help and love. I'd say a good percentage.
I doubt the hog could go live in your house. Least I hope not.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,134 times
I have a feral cat story (actually a stupid me story)......

My youngest daughter and a girlfriend came upon a "feral" kitten and managed to capture it. My daughter brought it home in a crate with the story that the friend wanted to keep the cat but had to soften her parents up first. I have a soft spot for cats (I had two Persian cats back in the 70's) but was happy that my daughter did not plan to try to keep the kitten. The kitten did not look all that healthy so I told my daughter I would check in out. Upon opening the cage the kitten bolted and scampered under my daughter's bedroom dresser. Since it would not come out on it's own, I went to grab it. It bit me to the bone. Pain!! My first thought was this thing has rabies and I am going to die! After "safely" retrieving the kitten and telling my daughter never to do anything as dumb as your father just did, I call our vet. He had me come to his home and had his nurse wife dress my wounds and give me some antibiotics. He said my only option was to take the cat to the shelter and have them put it under observation for two weeks to see if it showed any symptoms of rabies. Two weeks later I found out the kitten did not have rabies so I did not have to get shots (or die). No idea of what ever became of the cat........

Needless to say, I learned my lesson about stray animals, especially mammals!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,685,933 times
Wow, that was scary.
Well, I never got bitten. We were very slow to work with them. When we removed the kittens from the boat they actually didn't mind playing and drinking some milk.
The older cats we took our time. They began to love our dog and would follow him around. I was able to get some frontline on them. Plus they were trapped and fixed.
My daughter got bit by someones fresh poodle and that was not a feral dog. We worried that they were telling us the truth that it had gotten all its shots.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,348 times
A major difference between the feral hog population and the feral cat population is that, while the genus of cats (in the form a very large wild members) is naturally native to Horry County and South Carolina; the genus of hogs is not. In this way, cats are very different than hogs -- cats naturally belong here.

We humans displaced the native population of cat species and introduced a different cat species to take their place. We also introduced the wild population of pigs but we didn't displace a native population of pigs while doing it. Hogs aren't naturally supposed to be in this ecosystem but cats are.

More important though, that feral hogs (or feral cats) do environmental damage isn't a very valid argument coming from the very species that destroys more of the natural environment than any other on Earth. If we make that invasive species removal argument from logic, then we truly must consider whether the right thing to do is also remove all of H. sapiens from this ecosystem as well - H. sapiens is an incredibly damaging invasive species that doesn't compare to feral hogs in their destructiveness.

We DID let most of the native sea turtle nesting areas be destroyed by an invasive species. We humans came here and we built our transient shelters right on top of their habitat. And we didn't give it a second thought whilst doing so. Then we went into their feeding supply and either took for ourselves or poisoned their food supply. Unlike the domestic cats that replaced wild cat species displaced by we hominids; the domestic hominids and pigs didn't replace a wild population of themselves. We have no natural predators in this system and so, we (we humans and pigs) are the very worst sort of invasive species because we can't be naturally controlled while we destroy.

Bottom line is that you can't have a natural environment with no invasive species in it as long as we humans are the primary invader of the system - we displace too much wildlife ourselves. And we bring with us our favored invasive domestic animals which then further displace the natural inhabitants. None of this discussion comes up except that we humans are here and invaded/destroyed a thriving ecosystem. The feral pigs (or cats) didn't migrate here and become invasive without us. The solution then, is to either remove the human population from the system or accept that we invasive species will be required to share our habitat with other invasive species while displacing the native population.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTMBSC View Post
A major difference between the feral hog population and the feral cat population...
Excellent post. I'm not sure I agree with everything, but sure can't find any major issues with which to take exception. The reassuring news is that homo sapiens are well on the way to self-extinguishing ourselves. Once that pimple is removed from Mother Earth's @.$.$, she will have plenty of time to restore natural balance.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 AM

96 posts, read 220,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachTMBSC View Post
A major difference between the feral hog population and the feral cat population is that, while the genus of cats (in the form a very large wild members) is naturally native to Horry County and South Carolina; the genus of hogs is not. In this way, cats are very different than hogs -- cats naturally belong here.

We humans displaced the native population of cat species and introduced a different cat species to take their place. We also introduced the wild population of pigs but we didn't displace a native population of pigs while doing it. Hogs aren't naturally supposed to be in this ecosystem but cats are.

More important though, that feral hogs (or feral cats) do environmental damage isn't a very valid argument coming from the very species that destroys more of the natural environment than any other on Earth. If we make that invasive species removal argument from logic, then we truly must consider whether the right thing to do is also remove all of H. sapiens from this ecosystem as well - H. sapiens is an incredibly damaging invasive species that doesn't compare to feral hogs in their destructiveness.

We DID let most of the native sea turtle nesting areas be destroyed by an invasive species. We humans came here and we built our transient shelters right on top of their habitat. And we didn't give it a second thought whilst doing so. Then we went into their feeding supply and either took for ourselves or poisoned their food supply. Unlike the domestic cats that replaced wild cat species displaced by we hominids; the domestic hominids and pigs didn't replace a wild population of themselves. We have no natural predators in this system and so, we (we humans and pigs) are the very worst sort of invasive species because we can't be naturally controlled while we destroy.

Bottom line is that you can't have a natural environment with no invasive species in it as long as we humans are the primary invader of the system - we displace too much wildlife ourselves. And we bring with us our favored invasive domestic animals which then further displace the natural inhabitants. None of this discussion comes up except that we humans are here and invaded/destroyed a thriving ecosystem. The feral pigs (or cats) didn't migrate here and become invasive without us. The solution then, is to either remove the human population from the system or accept that we invasive species will be required to share our habitat with other invasive species while displacing the native population.
Again comical post and thank you for the laugh. And to think they offer degrees in wild life management from colleges when it appears that there is no need for it with your distorted logic. Almost as funny as TNR being a good thing ..... Almost.
If people are so concerned about the local cat population they should self fund shelters and take in all strays. If a person feels so strong why dont they dedicate thier life to bringing real joy to those poor "souls"rather than telling other home owners and HOA what they should do.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 3,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass11 View Post
WOW the song bird argument birds will learn LOL . Is it only dumb birds that get caught by non native invasive species . Would it be safe to assume that when ever a cat brings its prize(dead bird) to its owner it must of been a stupid bird and should of know better. Hey those plovers nesting at the north end of Huntington must have very low IQ because they nest on the ground. BTW feral cats and foxes are having a negitive impact on plover populations on the whole coast . Non native invasive species are harmful to native wildlife. The choice is do you want one or the other as one will have a negitive affect on the other. The question at times is how much of an affect. One thing for sure is the local coyote population is putting the feral cats to good use.
you sound like you would be a menace to society yourself. If a person does not care about our animals it says a lot about their character. so sad , too bad .

Old 05-15-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
The feral cat situation here is very sad...I am not sure in all of Myrtle Beach, but I have found that in my neighborhood, the so called "feral" cats are really not that "feral"..let me explain...I started seeing many cats a few years ago and decided to put clean water and food on my back porch...well I found a british shorthair, many calicos, norweign forest cat, and a few Maine coons....I am not an expert, but I just cannot imagine that these cats being so clean and beautiful were not at one time someone's cat? Yes, put out and now have to live in the wild....well, our HOA put a stop to me helping these innocent creatures...and NMB wasn't much help either...I volunteered to help trap them to be neutered or spayed...but they told me they do not have the resources....unfortunately, the HOA felt it best to have the city pick these beautiful babies up and have them killed....I cried for weeks....I stopped putting food and water out because the Animal Control would monitor my home and watch for them...I was putting them in more danger.....but it is still a sad subject for me.....I wish there was a good solution...I know a lady in Surfside Beach who runs a non-kill cat shelter....but you have to trap them yourself and bring them to her and give her a donation....but geez how many can she keep? Very admirable.....
I know my next line I am going to have the "regulars" jump all over me as usual!!! But, animals ARE thought of differently here than where I grew up....I, now, try hard to take one at a time and if I could make any outside animal I see....their life good and happy for just one meal or one day....I do....and thanks to all that take time to help these innocent souls!
can you share her name and address with me please, I have 5 kittens being weaned by their mother now, she is feral I would like to get her fixed but am having a hard time catching her. I cant do it now because she is nursing her young. i am retired and on a set income so i can not feed all the cats, they are so sweet they deserve a chance at finding a loving home.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Exactly. God made birds, but He also made cats. Is one more important than the other? It is not their fault that they are turned loose and forced to try to subsist on what they can find in the environment, and it is doubly cruel when they have been domesticated and taught to depend on humans for their food and then turned abruptly outdoors to fend for themselves.

Seabass11, I see your point about the plovers, and to be honest, I wasn't thinking of ground nesting birds, I was thinking of songbird species that nest in trees and can fly away from danger on the ground. You made a good point, and I should have considered other species when I made that comment, my bad.

I know there is no perfect solution, but again, it's not the cats' faults that they are forced to survive by killing in the outdoors. Blame the people who get tired of them, or move and decide that they can't take them, and then turn them out. That is despicable.
your comment is so true, God help people that destroys and ignores his creations. what are we here for if not to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area