Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM

312 posts, read 734,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
IMO, the yankee thing is overplayed too much on here by those who have moved down and are not happy. Keep in mind that all of us non-locals, from the north or the south, moved in on the natives and turned what was once a neat little vacation town into an overcrowded, overpaved retirement/relocation haven for all of us who Googled "paradise" and thought MB was the result. I agree the yankee word is tossed around, but a lot of locals think of anybody not born here as a yankee, reflecting the statistical fact that the vast majority of the migration has come from NE states. If the large influx had been from Mars, the term "martian" would have become the dirty word. Yeah, the influx brought jobs, but as everyone has pointed out, in most cases, those jobs don't pay well. Bottom line, the locals gave us what we wanted, and as a group, we were too stupid to know the difference between what we wanted and what we needed. The biggest sin was insisting on having the same stuff as that place we were so anxious to get away from. God bless the locals. If there are any sane ones left, I feel bad for 'em.

The developers are another story, and a lot of that money is not local money. If they thought they could get away with it, they would use their own mothers to fill in a wetland, and then plant a remediation tree somewhere up around Latta.

Pawleys Dude...do you work? Are you among the "locals" on a daily basis? Because I am....and believe you me.....I sit and listen and do not say anything when they are talking about "us"......I am the only person in my office from above the Mason Dixon line lets say...since you don't like the term Yankee
I wish for just one day...oh heck for just one hour..you could be a fly on the wall of my office and see what you have to say then about how the Yankee word is tossed around....good grief! And "no" they do not feel that anyone not born here is a Yankee.....sorry.........not correct............I have worked at my current position now for going on 7 years and I do say I pretty much love my job....I get along with everyone in the office very well but please do know that there is always and I mean always that pink elephant in the room...knowing I am not from here and one of them.....I laugh about it now...they laugh all the way to bank......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,564,608 times
The only SC born people I know are a couple neighbors who own "vacation" homes in our complex (Park West, MI) but live (and work) way west of the SC coast.

Another neighbor who is now full time SC but came from PA has a part time position delivering Coke products. He claims he does not get many hours of work a week because the manager is a Southern boy and most of the other drivers are too. He believes he shorted hour wise because he is a Yankee. Of course, from what I see, he really does not need to work......

Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
The only SC born people I know are a couple neighbors who own "vacation" homes in our complex (Park West, MI) but live (and work) way west of the SC coast.

Another neighbor who is now full time SC but came from PA has a part time position delivering Coke products. He claims he does not get many hours of work a week because the manager is a Southern boy and most of the other drivers are too. He believes he shorted hour wise because he is a Yankee. Of course, from what I see, he really does not need to work......

I have many SC born neighbors too...from other areas of the state....they are very nice...seem to be a tad different than the Horry County natives....I am referring mainly to Horry County born and bred....

Sorry to hear about your other neighbor and his hours.....

Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Pawleys Dude...do you work? Are you among the "locals" on a daily basis?
Yes m'am. I've run a business in this area for about 12+ years. My customers include a good mix of both Grand Strand natives and migrants. You seem to disagree with me, but then your arguments support the same thing I'm saying. "...knowing I am not from here and one of them...", "...from other areas of the state....they are very nice...seem to be a tad different than the Horry County natives". You blame the attitudes on the fact that you're a yankee, and yet your problem is just with Horry County natives. My only point was that hordes of us have moved in on top of the natives, regardless of where we actually moved from. I'm shocked every day how civil and welcoming they are, considering how we have changed the place they were born.

Quote:
He claims he does not get many hours of work a week because the manager is a Southern boy...
I happen to be one of those SC born, just not from here. I'm not a native of this area, and don't expect to be treated like one. BTW, you'd be amazed how many friends from back home cannot imagine why we would want to live down here, being perfectly happy to vacation then go back to their own little piece of heaven. We understand that attitude more and more every year. It just gets a little old hearing folks like your route driver neighbor blame all their problems on how they are treated by the natives, AKA: "Southern boys". I'm just grateful every day that the true natives don't get fed up and go postal on the rest of us.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Well you all can say what you say and do what you do, but I think some times it can be a bit "misleading" esp for those of us seeking information for moving.
That is quite strange. Prior to moving, I depended heavily on the kind people willing to take time out of their day to share what they knew with me. I found their information invaluable and I feel thankful to this day for them giving their time and knowledge to help me. That hospitality has continued since I have moved to the area, on and off the forum. I have never met a friendlier, more helpful group of people in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
If anyone has any questions for me about my recent trip feel free to ask me. I'll try to help the best I can. I know what it's like to need information and have no one help you, or have people over dramatize things like job situations on so on.
I am shocked you would even WANT to move here ... Well, I for one will share some helpful advise ... Ya catch more flies with honey

Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Yes m'am. I've run a business in this area for about 12+ years. My customers include a good mix of both Grand Strand natives and migrants. You seem to disagree with me, but then your arguments support the same thing I'm saying. "...knowing I am not from here and one of them...", "...from other areas of the state....they are very nice...seem to be a tad different than the Horry County natives". You blame the attitudes on the fact that you're a yankee, and yet your problem is just with Horry County natives. My only point was that hordes of us have moved in on top of the natives, regardless of where we actually moved from. I'm shocked every day how civil and welcoming they are, considering how we have changed the place they were born.

I happen to be one of those SC born, just not from here. I'm not a native of this area, and don't expect to be treated like one. BTW, you'd be amazed how many friends from back home cannot imagine why we would want to live down here, being perfectly happy to vacation then go back to their own little piece of heaven. We understand that attitude more and more every year. It just gets a little old hearing folks like your route driver neighbor blame all their problems on how they are treated by the natives, AKA: "Southern boys". I'm just grateful every day that the true natives don't get fed up and go postal on the rest of us.

Well "bless you heart"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by loveagrey1; 02-13-2013 at 07:38 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 12:48 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Well "bless you heart"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, thank you, darlin'. Just curious, did moving down here make you this unhappy, or do you come by it naturally?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM

178 posts, read 330,355 times
What neecewh said.

I remember your post from a few months ago stating what your minimum requirements were for housing. If I remember correctly, it was a very specific list of stuff you couldn't live without. Granite countertops, wood flooring, had to be brand-new construction, hot tub I think, etc. And you say you'd have to pay much more for that here. Of course you will, and you will pay much more in any area that is a tourist destination, or offers something that everyone wants, like sun and sand and the ocean. You really can't compare prices in a small WV town to housing at the beach, it's not a fair comparison. And the fact that rent will probably increase on a yearly basis shouldn't be a shock either.

As far as the job situation goes, I sincerely doubt there is anyone trolling CD and giving you bad advice on purpose. Sure, there are jobs here, but many/most are minimum wage or slightly better. You can make a pile of money during tourist season but after they're gone, you're probably on unemployment in you're lucky. If that's what you're looking for, come on down. Understand though that this town lives and breathes the tourist season and if that's your source of income, things are lean in the winter. Just because you saw some tourists around, and some Help Wanted signs doesn't mean it's a bed of roses here for employment, and the CD posters have been lying. You're just visiting for a weekend, we live here. Trust us please.

I hope you and your husband find a place you like to rent and jobs. Have you given up the idea of buying for now?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:51 PM

178 posts, read 330,355 times
One other thing. I'm a transplanted Yankee. One of the biggest things I had to get used to was the friendliness here. People stopping their car to let me in traffic. Random people smiling and saying hello, stopping to chat in the grocery store, that kind of thing. You accidentally bump into someone here, they invite you to dinner. Up in NY, you get stabbed. When I go back to NY to visit, I automatically say hello and smile at everyone, and they look at me like I have 2 heads.

Southern hospitality truly does exist.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,353,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilibeany View Post
You accidentally bump into someone here, they invite you to dinner. Up in NY, you get stabbed.
This made me , thanks chilibeany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area