Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,839,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
Hey Dude, ya miss me
Hey Gary - WHASSUP??? Yeah man, I've missed ya'. It's been way too dull around here. Sorry to see that Clinker died. We didn't know him well but had met him a few times at the Marlin quite awhile ago. I hope they can hold that place together.

It will be interesting to see how it goes at Old World. At one time, I really liked it, but it's been a few years since we've been there, after being disappointed in the food for several visits. From Vrexy's pics, it looks like the menu has quickly grown. I knew there was no way he could stay with 6 entrees. The old timers would be raisin' hail. I cannot believe the bread has gone away. The loaf they served with the salad was one of the highlights of the visit. I wish them well. I'm afraid they've got a tough road ahead. I'm sure we'll check in at least once, just for old times sake.

Vrexy - those cherubs are holdovers from the old decor. I guess he couldn't let go of those. The old decor was something else, but we got a kick out of it. It reminded me of all the MB Italian restaurants from a couple decades ago, and typical of Italian restaurants in every small town across the South. As I recall, it had the obligatory photo of Vesuvius, as well as with several gondolas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,897,020 times
Does anyone know when the show is going to be on? I checked the Restaurant Impossible website but there is nothing listed so far. I watch the show but have always been skeptical of the effectiveness of their efforts. I can't imagine a restaurant surviving some of the things I have seen on other episodes. I hope this one is different and they do well. I look forward to seeing the show. I don't see anything on the menu that Vrexy posted that I would go there for, but I hope those that visit continue to post their experiences.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM

142 posts, read 364,044 times
Jane will keep the Marlin going, too many loyal customers, of course it is an older crowd, meaning customers will start to meet Clinker and my mom at the Marlin in the Sky.

Wow, that is quite a huge addition to the menu in such a short time, I am really surprised that Vrexy went with such a large group and all of them were disappointed in their meal.
As for the aged look, it is an old building and of course it shows it, that is not a reason to not like a place. Heck some of the best meals around are in places that most people would just drive by due to the looks of the place.

Gary

Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,680,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
Jane will keep the Marlin going, too many loyal customers, of course it is an older crowd, meaning customers will start to meet Clinker and my mom at the Marlin in the Sky.

Wow, that is quite a huge addition to the menu in such a short time, I am really surprised that Vrexy went with such a large group and all of them were disappointed in their meal.
As for the aged look, it is an old building and of course it shows it, that is not a reason to not like a place. Heck some of the best meals around are in places that most people would just drive by due to the looks of the place.

Gary
Seriously, not one person enjoyed their meal. We had a great time, but it was because of the people we were with and not the food. PD was spot on when he predicted that the menu would be quickly expanded. One of the people in our group had the calamari and said it was the worst calamari he ever had. It looked really nasty, so I didn't even taste it.

Our reasons for not liking the restaurant had everything to do with the poor food and nothing to do with the decor. I agree that decor is not a reason to not like a place. I posted those pictures of the inside because after spending 10K for a renovation, I would at least expect the place to look clean. It looked tacky and dirty - but hey, I can handle tacky and sometimes even enjoy it, but dirty? NO THANKS.

I hope others go there and post their opinions. One thing I didn't mention was the service. The night we ate there, they were short one server and our server was very overworked, but she managed to handle everything as well as she could and was very pleasant and helpful to us, even while running around like crazy. Everyone who worked there that I spoke to was very friendly.

I wish them the best but don't see how this tv show helped them in any way.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Does anyone know when the show is going to be on?
Apparently, the Restaurant Impossible overhaul of Old World Italian aired on Food Network this past weekend, but we missed it. MB Sun News is reporting that it will be shown again on 4/27 @ 10pm and on 5/1 @ 7pm. We had planned to check the place out again after their re-do, but still haven't gotten there. Geriatric inertia is a terrible thing...

Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,897,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Apparently, the Restaurant Impossible overhaul of Old World Italian aired on Food Network this past weekend, but we missed it. MB Sun News is reporting that it will be shown again on 4/27 @ 10pm and on 5/1 @ 7pm. We had planned to check the place out again after their re-do, but still haven't gotten there. Geriatric inertia is a terrible thing...
Thanks, PD. I did get to see it. I was happy to see that there wasn't anything gross going on in the kitchen. I wouldn't eat at many of the restaurants that I see on the show, even after it is redone, but this one was ok. According to Chef Robert the restaurant was suffering from bad, over-priced food. Light a fire under it PD so you can let us all know how it is!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,723,671 times
Bumping up with new info.....Looks like Mama Rue's has closed for good. Apparently the owners are retiring.Also, Fuego is closed.I read that the owners of Fuego also own T-Bones and that there may be some sort of marriage between the two, but that is unconfirmed.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:24 PM

T-Bones closed several weeks before Fuego closed, merging their staff and menu into Fuego. Their "Tex-Mex" plans ended very shortly after they were announced. Maybe they will try to revive them in a different location. The Fuego location has potentially great views, and now has the new JettyWalk, but it has been plagued by bad restaurants and bad bars for as long as I've lived here. It deserves somebody willing to offer a decent product.

Old World Italian proved to be truly "Restaurant Impossible" closing their doors permanently in September. All in all, a sad loss, but the owner blamed everyone but those responsible. He should have looked in the mirror.

Hannah Banana's closed in September(?), replaced immediately with K-Rae's Waterway Bar & Grille. K-Rae ran a neat little bar in Murrells Inlet for awhile, before disappearing from the scene for a few years. It's nice to have her back.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 PM

Default JD's Steak House

I was told last nite that JD's Steak House in PI has closed. I didn't ride by to confirm it, but it was from a pretty reliable source.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,680,570 times
K-Rae is a welcome improvement to the wonderful waterfront location that used to be Hannah Banana's. The location is fantastic. Now with K-Rae running the restaurant, the food is much better (IMHO) and the service and attitude of the staff is as it should be. When it was Hannah Banana's there was one person in particular who was nasty and hateful and I think her attitude rubbed off on the other people who worked there. Now the people are very friendly and welcoming. It's a great place to go and enjoy a decent meal on the waterfront. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area