Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 PM

88 posts, read 221,894 times

Advertisements

Want to come down for a few days go to the beach and maybe scout around a bit for a warmer climate for the future what area should I hit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 AM

25 people looked at my post and nobody has an opinion?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,700,181 times
It really depends on what you like, and if you want peaceful or things to do.
I would suggest to come to Myrtle Beach but not the downtown area if you are looking for an eventual home location.

My suggestion would be to stay at the Holiday Inn in Surfside Beach, a hotel which sits alone and out of the main hussle bussle. From that location you can find areas that would be condusive to an area to live.

If you have a pet with you, you might want to stay at the LaQuinta or Red Roof Inn, both pet friendly.

From that location you can check out the restaurants of Murrells Inlet. The wonderful Market Common area of shops, restaurants, and great movie theater. You can also head south to Pawleys Island and the peacefulness of there.
Got out to Huntington State Park for wildlife watching...have a picnic...enjoy the beach.

If your looking for homes look at the lower end ( south end) of 707 for some good developments. You could also check out my favorites, The Lakes, The Gates, or Lake Park Plantation and Glenmere.

A great location for never being bored and having a bunch of things to do. 100 golf courses dot the area and there is many places to dock your own boat, or rent one.

I hope this finally answers your question, sorry it took so long for an answer. We'd love you to visit Myrtle Beach, and enjoy your stay.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM

790 posts, read 1,628,157 times
I had looked at your post but not reply because there's just not enough information on which to offer an opinion. MB and HH are worlds apart for comparison purposes. HH would appeal to a more quiet, upscale lifestyle and MB a busier, more middle class lifestyle....MB also has its upscale areas but I'm talking in general terms. Your original post didn't offer any summary of what you are looking for...price ranges, lifestyle, retirement vs needing a job, condo vs house, types of activities you'd like, family vs single, etc. There's just so much that goes into helping with advice that a short "which is better" question is difficult to answer.

If you're just dreaming about moving to the beach, coming down on vacation and taking a day to look around is fine. If you're serious about moving, then stay away from the beach and spend all your time looking at everything the area offers away from the beach. Vacationing in MB and living in MB (or HH) are two totally different experiences.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,679,911 times
I didn't answer you because of the same reasons that CTyankee mentioned. Maybe you could tell us more about you and what you like and are looking for.

BTW - The Surfside Holiday Inn is also pet friendly.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 AM

66 posts, read 184,389 times
What everyone else has said, we need more info.....

Old 07-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Thats so true ,we sure did need to know the posters quest! It seems if we don't then we repeat the same information various times.
I thought I would at the least just give him a clue as to how to get started here as it seemed he would like to relocate.
I for sure don't think someone should spend their time downtown if they intend to move here. Most locals don't go there often because of the tourist influx.
Even as a tourist I chose North Myrtle or the Southern end of our area.
The Market Common has now added a bit of higher end to our location with its upscale stores. A fantastic asset to MB.
The more information or questions a poster can ask, the better the answers will be.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 AM

936 posts, read 1,654,484 times
CherryGrove, although a little out of the way, isnt so MyrtleBeach-ish. When I get to the beach, Im looking for a surf - waves and foam and active tides. The GrandStrand offers this while HH is more like a lake, IMO.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the replies I should have added more info. My wife and I are looking to spend a few days at a nice beach area and would like to scout around a bit as we have never been down in that area. I have been to Florida twice nice place to visit but I don't think I want to live there.
I don't think I can take many more winters up here in CT, I love the seasons and the trees just not the cold. Need to start looking at retirement as we are headed towards 60. I was looking on google earth and it looked like just hotels and the beach and not much else.
We have some nice beaches here in RI and Ma but water is very cold mid 50s. There are so many places to check out but we don't get a lot of time off from our jobs. I do think I would like to live within 30 minutes of the beach.
As some posters have stated there are a lot to see and do there not just beach. Thanks for your help

Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Actually we do have the seasons here. The trees on our street turn all the fall shades of orange, yellow and red.
That is what is good in buying into a development that has already good size trees. ( and not stripped land)
I too had to leave the harsh winters behind. Way too many times of being stuck up top a mountain and having no way out for days. Too cold for our health and the physical work needed to live in a snow belt area.

Our winters are anywhere from daytime temps of 50 to high 70's depending on the year. One New Years Day it was 80!
We have the fireplace on during winter and nights can be quite cold. Yes, we know when winter is here.
Spring brings the flowers that are in abundance in the stores. Although some winter flowers do make it through winter.

In Fall we loose the leaves just like back up North.

Summer is summer...hot, humid, but full of fun and ocean swims. The ocean water was so nice an warm, just cool enough to push off the heat wave.

Try Google Earth of Socastee. Lake Park Plantation Road perhaps, or the Glenmere community. These will be off of 544 and 10 minutes to the beach.
You can also Google 707, go towards the southern end. Look into International Drive or into the TPC Club.
Just for some ideas of nice locations with trees like you have now.

What you will enjoy is the shows perhaps. There are many at the Palace Theater, Alabama theater, Legends. ( and more)
Walking along the riverwalk in Murrells Inlet.
Time spent at Market Commons, Broadway at the Beach, and Barefoot Landing.
There is every box store you can imagine in Myrtle Beach. Many would be close to your location.
DM me is you need a realtor. I found a wonderful one who will work hard to find the home "you" like, where "you" like.
Plus I might add at the "price you want to pay."

Best of Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area