Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM

39 posts, read 176,562 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating from Penn State University with a B.A. in English in December of 2013. I would like to know if there are job opportunities for college graduates in the Myrtle Beach area. I could work as a Technical Writer, in Public Relations, Marketing, Sales, and other areas, too. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 AM

882 posts, read 3,538,824 times
I hate to bust your bubble.. but the short answer is.. unless you plan to have a second job in the service industry to support the lower paying primary job (in the event you are fortunate enough to secure one), you're not likely to find a job immediately in this area. Competition is fierce, the job market is tight... and everyone wants to live "at the beach".

If I were you, I would *seriously* consider looking in another area, a more metropolitan area, and just continue to "vacation" here.. because, in all honesty, Myrtle Beach is a great place to vacation.. but it's a whole 'nuther world when you "live" here. And this comes from someone who really does like living here.. and have for the last 20 years...

Best of luck in whatever you pursue..

Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 AM

47 posts, read 113,819 times
ever thought of looking at surrounding towns??? like maybe 45min from the beach?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM

312 posts, read 733,107 times
Oh hey there fellow Penn State grad!!! Well, I graduated many years ago!!

I have a B.S. from Penn State....worked at Carnegie Mellon University and here I sit doing "bookkeeping" in Myrtle Beach....so please think about it and you have the whole world as your oyster right now....this area is NOT conducive for that type of job I think....I believe, if your heart is set on a beach area, you might want to try Florida...I thought there were some magazine and publishing companies in and around Palm Beach area....this was many years ago...not sure now...anyway, best of luck to you....

Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 AM

39 posts, read 176,562 times
Thank you for the honesty, loveagrey1. I'm not specifically looking for a beach area. I have family in Conway, and while I am not specifically looking to find work there I am actually looking to find work in South Carolina as a whole to be closer to them.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 19,309 times
I find Myrtle Beach is ideal for service industry jobs. I'm a massage therapist, and for me work is abundant down there. When I have looked into more traditional office work - it was non existant.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:23 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,540,391 times
Office work of any type is rare in this state. Apply for anything you find you are remotely qualified for. If you get an offer you can move. I work freelance because I can't find anything where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area