Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Stink bugs irritate Myrtle Beach residents - Local - TheSunNews.com (http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/03/23/2734743/stink-bugs-irritate-myrtle-beach.html - broken link)

Ugh, We have come across a few of these lately and yesterday there were plenty at the beach!
They are shaped like a lady bug but just a bit larger. I think also, they appear to me to be a big more square.
I thought we left the plague of stink bugs back home in PA...Those were a larger type and I would spray to make sure they would stay out of our home.
I'm not sure about this type but the larger ones had like an antifreeze in there body. They remained alive in the winter months. Wintering in peoples homes inside walls. Until one nice warm day when they would be found flying inside.
Those arrived in Allentown, PA in 2003, on a box car delivered to that town. They are now as far and wide as the Poconos and New Jersey.
I know there are 100 types of stink bugs.
The wheel bug I have also seen in PA, two on our garage door. These have a bite that comes down from the chin area. You know them by the little half wheel on their back. A sting from one of these can be so severe that it will be inflamed for up to six months, and the area is quite painful.
How I ever became an expert on this is beyond me as I hate these little varmits...( at least that is what I call them) I don't know if they are here in SC as yet. Lets hope they never arrive.
Just be aware, Myrtle Beach, they can be in a town or area near you.
Every county in South Carolina has reported them.
I feel for the farmers as the bugs love soy. I feel also for those of us who have wisteria as it is another haven for this bug.
Best of luck with spraying these gosh awful things away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
We noticed several dozen of them swarming around on the railing of our condo's balcony...on the ninth floor! Persistent little buggers. I think it must have been because the metal was warmed by the sun as compared to the concrete floor. I noticed dead ones lying all over the beach too. Hopefully they will prove to be briefly seasonal like the lovebugs in Florida.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:46 PM

I hope so too. The boys found dead ones at the beach today.
But, yesterday one got in the car and thats before we knew what we were dealing with.
SC wins on the "better looking" type. I guess small is a good thing, and their legs don't hang
down like a wasp like the ones in PA. ( Gosh, ugly, things)

Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
They are everywhere...we have them here, in Va.! Vacuum them up....if you don't squash them, they don't "stink"!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM

142 posts, read 363,415 times
canugigit, Florida i snot the only place for love-bugs, we have them here also and I enjoy watching their spring frolic

Gary

Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM

65 posts, read 157,108 times
had them in massachusetts

Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
They are everywhere...we have them here, in Va.! Vacuum them up....if you don't squash them, they don't "stink"!
Unfortunately they can let out their smell even if you don't squish them.
We were away one winter for four months. I came back and snuggled into my bed. I kept smelling an oder like a stink bug...
While we were gone they nestled into the pillow shams!!
I didn't find one very fast at all. I took the pillow apart, I washed the pillow case. Put it all back together and it still had that odor. It was in the sham for gosh sakes.
I've heard them get into peoples beds...which could have happened to us too. ( thank goodness it didn't)
You don't have to kill them to get the odor...They let that out when they feel like it.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:01 PM

62 posts, read 125,357 times
Oh wow! I never realized that there are 100 varieties! We get them in MA and they are huge, and smelly!

We took our lil pooch for a walk near Market Common and they were swarming around me blech, a few got in my hair ... I also noticed them at MB state park ( by the way just beautiful there ! ) however did not notice them at Surfside or Garden City beaches perhaps the wind kept them at bay..

Old 04-21-2012, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,523 times
I appreciate the heads up . Hopefully I will not squish this foul smelling bug .

Not sure what to look for ... another name other than stink bug?
Guess we'll find out own our own in SEVEN day !!! Excited to experience all MB has to offer !!!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanden View Post
I appreciate the heads up . Hopefully I will not squish this foul smelling bug .

Not sure what to look for ... another name other than stink bug?
Guess we'll find out own our own in SEVEN day !!! Excited to experience all MB has to offer !!!
Kudzu....is the name.
The kudzu bugs are coming! - Home & Garden - TheState.com

Don't worry you will love it here. All you have to do is spray around your home and they won't bother you. I had to do that in PA and it worked.
I only had one bad year and that was the first year, before spray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area