Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 46,648 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting MB in July and wanted to know if it is possible to buy fresh caught shrimp from the fishermen there to bring back home with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 03:48 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,502 times
You may be able to buy it from the fishermen in Murrells Inlet at Marlin Quay Marina, but I am not sure. You can, however, find a few trucks selling them along the side of the road down here south of Myrtle. Harrelsons Seafood Market (also in Murrells Inlet) often has fresh local shrimp. Just make sure you ask for it when you go because they also have farm raised at times (which IMHO can't compare). Have a great trip!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the information!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 AM

My local butcher shop was selling Indiana raised shrimp for a while. It had a greenish tint to it and did not taste very good at all!!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 AM

214 posts, read 649,663 times
There is a place in Georgetown called Independent Seafood Market, its on the water. You could give that a try although I have never bought anything from there so I cant give you any review.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,639 times
Not from the actual fishermen, but as fresh as can be and always wonderful for any kind of seafood. You can ask them if what they have is local. Usually it is. This is a link to their market, but they also have a great restaurant right next door.

Mr.Fish Restaurant, Sushi, Fish Market, & Catering (http://www.mrfish.com/market.html - broken link)

Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
There is a place in Georgetown called Independent Seafood Market, its on the water. You could give that a try although I have never bought anything from there so I cant give you any review.
Yes, Our Son in law got shrimp there and it was fantastic.
Right on the waterway. Just a block building and nothing fancy but
fresh seafood which people love!

Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM

214 posts, read 649,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Yes, Our Son in law got shrimp there and it was fantastic.
Right on the waterway. Just a block building and nothing fancy but
fresh seafood which people love!
Hmm thats good to know I may go in there and purchase some. I suggested it because it seems like the boats would come in and just unload directly at the market since its on the water.

I dont know where the OP lives at but I imagine to get it home you would have to freeze the shrimp.......which would negate the fact that its fresh. Although I guess a couple hours in a cooler with ice would be fine. I have never had to transport sea food lol

Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecee View Post
We will be visiting MB in July and wanted to know if it is possible to buy fresh caught shrimp from the fishermen there to bring back home with us.
We travel up to Calabash, NC to buy shrimp off the boat.
Calabash, North Carolina in Brunswick County

If you go, travel up 17N to Ocean Blvd (stay right onto 179) into Calabash. Turn right onto River Rd. (the Grapevine Restaurant will be on your right), drive past Ella's to the docks.

The boat comes in around 4PM, get there early!

Take a cooler, the shrimp was $7/lb (in the fall), $1/lb to take the heads off.

The best!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 43,113 times
Default Update

We will be visiting in TWO weeks...
any updates on where to purchase fresh shrimp?
We bought off shrimp boats in Alabama hope to do the same in MB area.

A'little' drive is fine for FRESH shrimp

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area