Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 06:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times

Advertisements

Well finally our triip to the local zoo for an amazing time. It was more a natural zoo then most. I agree I'd like to see the lions and tigers in better environments but most of the animals seemed well taken care of.
Here's to you...( as I promised, and as you asked for.)

The parrots in the main building along with the snakes and other reptiles.

The Egrets nesting in the trees along the walkways...

The monkeys were climbing and having fun.

Walkways abound in many areas of the vast local zoo.

Swans and turtles swim in a natural ponding area.

I hope to post more this week. It was quite a fun day. We had a Seeing- Eye dog with us, and at one point we had to step back and stay away from the tiger cages. The one tiger caught a view of the lab and began to pace and stand up on the cage. A lion in another cage jumped down and started to check for a better view also.
We had been warned if this happened to step back and so we did.
So many of the animals were aware of our dog being with us. The deer would stand with their ears alert, the others would follow along the fence.
Some would make alarming sounds. I was surprised that the egrets were at ease in our presence.
All nestled into the woods, and full of many pond areas and walkways, it made for a relaxing day at Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM

The zoo is about 10 minutes from the main city area of Myrtle Beach. There are many picnic spots that one can enjoy a relaxing lunch with family. The area by the egrets is very relaxing by the pond and trees.
Walking shoes are a must. The paths are natural paths meandering through the woods. There is a snack stand for other nibbles you might need.
We have talked about on CD of whether the environment of some of the animals was up to par.
I agree that the lions and tigers need some type of more natural area. Although it is hard to expand on something like that. Safety with these wild animals is foremost important.
I thought that the large turtles could use a better area also. Although they are shaded and don't look out of sorts.
This is mainly a rescue and rehab place that has grown in time. The beauty of it all is in its naturalness. A place for people of all ages to come, relax and enjoy the surroundings.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Whenever I finally relocate I'll have to visit.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM

460 posts, read 988,321 times
Nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

I love a good zoo. Especially one that has natural environments, and is photographer friendly.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Thank you Muonic. It is a natural zoo. It rose from a rehabitate type of place to become what it is.
I could have gotten some teriffic shots if we let the service dog go near the tiger and lion but..
that would not have been fair to either of them. From a distance we could see and feel the animals strife.
We had enough fun just looking at the egrets and turtles.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Very nice, thanks for sharing. Whenever I finally relocate I'll have to visit.
Thank you TNKY. Bring a picnic, there were some very nice spots to sit for awhile and enjoy the surroundings.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Awesome!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM

Thank you Sunny........The zoo makes for a nice day out. It is shaded and you can bring a picnic. Find a place nestled into the woods. ( rather then by the animals) There is a pavillion area and it has a vending machine for drinks. Dogs really aren't allowed as far as I know but we had a service dog with us. We knew ahead of time not to get to near the tiger area. Those animals knew a dog was around from a distance. The deer were alert to to dog also, and most of the other animals. Ears up...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area