Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM

36 posts, read 111,414 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Conway in 3 weeks, although it sounds a little trivial one of my concerns is learning how to cook on an electric range as opposed to gas. I use my grandmothers' cast iron skillet and worry about using it on a glass top electric range (my rental home has this). I'm sure I will burn dinner frequently until I adjust. Any other transplants have trouble adjusting?

Also I'm concerned about my little (2 lb) toy poodle and fire ants in the grass, any suggestions to prevent her (or us) from getting bitten? Thanks for any help, anxious to get there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 AM

460 posts, read 990,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozz View Post
I use my grandmothers' cast iron skillet and worry about using it on a glass top electric range (my rental home has this).
I use a cast iron skillet on a glass electric range, with no problems. Just be careful not to drop it.

When I lived in Florida, I never had a problem with my dog and fire ants. But I did aggressively go after any mounds that would pop up in the yard. Lots of ways to control them.

Enjoy your new home!

Old 06-25-2011, 11:05 AM

thanks for the info, appreciate it

Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,899,057 times
I too have used cast iron on a glass top with no problems. I would prefer a gas stove, but the flat tops aren't so bad. We bought a grill with a side burner so when there is something we would prefer that "high heat gas style" cooking we just cook it out there.

I agree with Muonic about the fire ants, just stay on top of it and you should be fine.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:46 PM

460 posts, read 990,806 times
BTW, I've had very good luck with the granular fire ant bait. Just sprinkle a little on the mound, and in a day or two, the whole mound is dead.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM

wow thats great news, thanks, I saved it in my favorites so I don't forget the name. I'm glad to know that there is something to control the fire ants as I am highly allergic. Just the few times in my travels that I encountered them was enough for me so I have been worried about living with them. Coming from Ohio we don't see many fire ant hills so I have no knowledge of how to prevent them.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,705,507 times
The only time I've cooked on gas is in my RV.

The thing you need to remember about cooking on electric is that when you turn the burner off it stays hot for quite a while. If you want your food to not burn, remove the pan from the burner immediately. And don't put anything down on the burner until it cools down!!

Old 06-26-2011, 07:11 PM

thanks for the suggestion, I have never cooked on electric. This will take some getting used to..or we will lose a bunch of weight..LOL

Old 06-29-2011, 08:03 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,030,529 times
KILL the fire ants! They are awful! I was bitten and the blisters are horrendous! Kill the little suckers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area