Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 08:57 AM

114 posts, read 431,844 times

Advertisements

We are planning to go to myrtle beach next weekend with a 3year old. I am looking for recommendations for places to stay and fun activities to do for a 3 year old and things to skip...(like which amusement parks , museums etc are good and which one's can be skipped )

We plan to drive down and stay 2 to 3 nights and will consider resort or non resort type hotels that are fairly inexpensive.We don't mind modest lodging , but it needs to be very clean and breakfast included in the price of the room is a plus. Also can anybody recommend places that serve great fresh seafood , not necessarily fried fish?. We are not that much into shopping , but would like to explore the area ...oh and is there a place I could take my daughter fishing while we are there?
I am researching online, ofcourse, but am looking forward to hearing from people with first hand experiences.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,700,902 times
We usually stay at a campground in our motor home so I can't be much help to you in the accommodations department. The two places we've stayed without our motor home are quite pricy during the season - Dayton House and Dunes Village. I've heard good things about Sea Mist, which has some nice water parks for kids.

There's a small amusement area at Broadway at the Beach, and Family Kingdom is a nice oceanfront amusement park with good rides for little kids. I think our son was about 3 or 4 when we took him there.

Ripley's Aquarium at Broadway at the Beach is fun for all ages. Wacatee Zoo (just south of Socastee off Route 707 on Enterprise Road) is a nice place to spend some time. It's mostly shaded too, which is nice on those hot, sunny days.

There are tons of mini golf places, and some might even let your daugher play free or half price.

I can't help out with fresh fish places, as my family doesn't care for seafood so we don't go to those places. As far as fishing, any of the piers would probaby be places you could go, but they're so high above the water that I imagine you'd want something closer down. I'm not sure if you can fish from the causeways, such as going from the mainland out to Garden City Beach, or if there is fishing in the pond near Market Common on the grounds of the old Air Force Base.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,896,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
We plan to drive down and stay 2 to 3 nights and will consider resort or non resort type hotels that are fairly inexpensive.We don't mind modest lodging , but it needs to be very clean and breakfast included in the price of the room is a plus.
The most inexpensive place I have stayed in Myrtle Beach is Hotel Blue. The rooms aren't anything special but it has a great pool and you also have access to the Ship Wreck Lagoon Adventure Water Park (which your 3 year old would love) at Captain's Quarters, which is just 2 blocks away. Captain's Quarters also has a bowling alley that guests of Hotel Blue can use as well (I don't think it is free unless you buy that package). I also believe they have breakfast, but again you would have to check the packages.

Quote:
...oh and is there a place I could take my daughter fishing while we are there? ...
In addition to the piers that Dawne mentioned, you can also surf fish, but you will need a license (although your daughter would not because of her age). You can see the prices for a license at SCDNR website. Early in the morning and later in the day when the beaches are less crowded you will see many people surf fishing. You aren't going to catch what you could on the pier, but it would probably be easier for a young child. If you do fish the pier you will not need a license, but it does cost to fish there. The price varies from pier to pier.

Have a great time!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 PM

88 posts, read 274,225 times
I would consider staying in some of the other nearby beach communities. Myrtle Beach itself can get a little loud and drunk - perhaps not entirely the environemnt you want to expose a toddler to.

I always stay at Atalaya Towers in Garden City - about 10 minutes South of Myrtle Beach.
Atalaya Towers - Garden City, SC
There's a nice little boardwalk area with shops and snack bars and the surrounding community is mostly beach houses (not hotels). Its much quieter but there is plenty of restaurants, grocery, mini-golf, and souveniers shops within a couple minutes. Prices typically go for around $100-$120/night. That sounds like alot but consider that the full kitchen allows you to cook your own meals instead of dining out.

The Ripley's Aquarium is in an outdoor touristy mall that has lots of attractions and theme restaurants. There is a giant man-made lake in the middle of the mall with lots of fish. You can buy food from machines to feed them. 3-year old would get a kick out of that.

Avoid the Calabash Seafood Buffets...they are everywhere and pure garbage. If you want good seafood go down to Murrel's Inlet..there is a row of fantastic seafood restaurants all connected by a boardwalk that goes accross the clam and oyster beds in the bayou.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM

18 posts, read 62,843 times
We have stayed at Ocean Creek Resort in North Myrtle Beach when we have visited MB. We vacationed here when our daughter (now 4 1/2) was 2 and 3. It is very safe, clean and has a path you can take walks or bike/wagon rides with your child; we brought her bike and a wagon. We rented from vrbo.com. It's right across the street from Barefoot Landing, but it's a very quiet resort area. Our daughter loved Ripley's Aquarium, and also the Broadway at the Beach area, and the man with a parrot. There is a ton to do!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,982 times
First time in MB with a 3 year old........go to Ocean Lakes Campground, rent a vacation rental, rent a golf cart.....youngin will have a blast. Cruising on golf cart is fun and a big cruise at nite on the ocean front. Great pool for adults and kids and programs for the kids. If you dont check this out, you are making a mistake. I have for 15 years in camper, now a rental with my kids, this will be my first summer with my new grand baby of 6 mos....go to Ocean Lakes Campground, then to Ocean Lakes Properties for rentals. compliements of castawayjoe1

Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
We are planning to go to myrtle beach next weekend with a 3year old. I am looking for recommendations for places to stay and fun activities to do for a 3 year old and things to skip...(like which amusement parks , museums etc are good and which one's can be skipped )

We plan to drive down and stay 2 to 3 nights and will consider resort or non resort type hotels that are fairly inexpensive.We don't mind modest lodging , but it needs to be very clean and breakfast included in the price of the room is a plus. Also can anybody recommend places that serve great fresh seafood , not necessarily fried fish?. We are not that much into shopping , but would like to explore the area ...oh and is there a place I could take my daughter fishing while we are there?
I am researching online, ofcourse, but am looking forward to hearing from people with first hand experiences.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
TIA.
I know you've already come and gone but hopefully this will help someone else.

I agree with Ocean Creek. One of the Lodge Villas would be an excellent choice. They are not on the ocean but the property is. Since it includes a full kitchen, you can make your own breakfast.

A studio at Sea Watch Resort would also be a good choice.

As for fresh seafood, you realize that ALL seafood is flash frozen unless you are buying it still swimming off the back of someone's boat. Also, 99% of shrimp is farmed shrimp and the rest of the seafood is from all over the world. Local shrimp season in South Carolina is for three different species; May-June, July-August, and September-October and sometimes later.

It isn't a given that local restaurants serve local shrimp, you must ask.

Oyster season is during the cold water months and our local Murrells Inlet oysters are best from January-March. They are small and very salty.

Find out if the restaurant you want to eat at has their own fishing boat and check the local paper to see what is running. Never rely on your server to tell you what is fresh or not because they most probably don't have a clue and the chef will tell them anything.

Flounder is usually local if you are eating in Murrells Inlet. Call Harrelsons and find out what they are delivering to the local restaurants that is fresh.

The Crabcake Lady in Murrells Inlet, makes her crab cakes fresh every day. She has her own crab traps and catches daily then makes them from scratch every single day of the year. Mrs. Springs is absolutely lovely and the family was nice enough to let us keep our Grady White there for a couple of months.

The Crab Cake Lady | Crab Cakes, Seafood, Shellfish | Murrells Inlet South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area