Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 26,992 times

Advertisements

I will be staying oceanfront in Pawley's Island for 4 days starting this Saturday. I'm bringing along my road bike to get some nice flat riding in. Does anyone have any suggestions for good routes in that area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 10:49 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,551,954 times
Huntington State Park and Brookgreen Gardens just up the road a bit. Maybe they offer some options for you.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:42 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Sorry, may be too late to help, but if you're still connected, check out Bike the Neck (http://www.biketheneck.com/ - broken link) and look at their map on the Resources page. Get directions to the parking lot beside Webster's Restaurant in Litchfield Beach & Golf, pick up the trail there, and head north. Part of it is on-road and part is a dedicated paved walking/biking trail. It's not great for on-road bikers but it's probably some of the safest around. It can be busy with walkers and bikers of all skill levels.

Kings River Road is also very popular with on-road bikers but IMO it's not the safest stretch so be careful. Unfortunately, it seems bikes don't get a lot of respect down here and there are an awfully lot of senior drivers with less than ideal eyesight. Get directions to All Saints Church. You can park there and head either north or south on Kings River Road. Have fun, stay safe.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Biking anywhere along the Grand Strand is kind of dangerous but the safest place is probably in Market Common about 20 miles north of you.

Drivers tend to not focus on driving along the Grand Strand and more about where their restaurant/beachwear store/putt putt golf/grocer/realtor is located.

People get run over.

I'd stick to biking on the island.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:56 PM

49 posts, read 200,502 times
Default Bike Riding in the Grand Strand

I have to agree with blueherons in that it can be kind of dangerous to road bike in the Grand Strand. especially if you do not know the roads. But I too bring my road bike when I vacation at the beach and can find some safe riding. The best ride I found is a ride organized out of Grand Strand Bicycles in Murrels inlet. The rides have a large number of riders so it is a little safer. I also find some riding along the beach in Surfside/Garden City. There is a 7 mile stretch where you can ride a few times in relative safety.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2nc View Post
I have to agree with blueherons in that it can be kind of dangerous to road bike in the Grand Strand. especially if you do not know the roads. But I too bring my road bike when I vacation at the beach and can find some safe riding. The best ride I found is a ride organized out of Grand Strand Bicycles in Murrels inlet. The rides have a large number of riders so it is a little safer. I also find some riding along the beach in Surfside/Garden City. There is a 7 mile stretch where you can ride a few times in relative safety.
I lived on Garden City Beach for years and I'm a marathon runner and would train for my marathons down there and would always see those bikers every Saturday morning.

Aside from Pawleys Island, MC, and Huntington Beach State Park, there is a relatively empty stretch if you go early early in the morning.

Start at the Days Inn Surfside Beach and take the road all the way to the gate at the end of Garden City Beach, head up Atlantic Avenue at Sam's Corner, turn right on 17 South (this is where is is tricky with traffic) and ride all the way to the end of Murrells Inlet, turn around, ride back to Atlantic Avenue to Waccamaw Drive, head north back to the Days Inn and that is a twenty mile ride.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 AM

17 posts, read 45,119 times
Hey roadies, hearing neg/neutral responses about biking in the MB area, people are telling me the Greenville area is a lot better. Thoughts anyone?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,834,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaski View Post
Hey roadies, hearing neg/neutral responses about biking in the MB area, people are telling me the Greenville area is a lot better. Thoughts anyone?
Not a roadie, but I suspect that's an accurate statement. Based on occasional visits to the Greenville area, there's no question they have placed higher priorities on green spaces, biking/walking areas, and bike-friendly roads. As a tourist area, the focus of MB priorities are aimed more at family tourism and perhaps senior tourism, rather than an active life style. (just an opinion) In Georgetown County, Bike the Neck (http://www.biketheneck.com/ - broken link)is a grass-roots group trying to improve the situation, but progress has been slow.

Another big downside of biking in the MB area is the large number of tourists on the road who often are not sure where they're going and maybe spend too much time sightseeing at the same time they're driving. Both lead to potentially dangerous situations. Also, if you enjoy a variety of terrain when biking, Greenville is a far better option. It's pretty dang flat everywhere around here...

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM

17 posts, read 45,119 times
Default Biking in MB area..

Thanks!!!! You're of of several with the same take on the area,so thanks for being the "nail in the coffin" so to speak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area