Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 11:37 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Myrtle Beach this summer for a day or 2. I would love to go to a lighthouse, but I can't find any information online. I found 1 lighthouse in Myrtle Beach - Governor's Lighthouse - but I can't find a website with visiting information. I would like a lighthouse that you can enter and go to the top. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:46 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I found 1 lighthouse in Myrtle Beach - Governor's Lighthouse...
I could be mistaken, but my recollection is that this is a wannabe lighthouse, built as part of a residential development. I've never heard of any history or tours of this lighthouse. 'Course, I've been wrong before...

The North Island lighthouse on Winyah Bay, Georgetown, about 30 miles South of MB is our best known lighthouse, but it is not open to the public. Lowcountry Tours does a boat tour that takes you to the island's beach with excellent views of the lighthouse, but that's as close as you can get.

Your best bet is probably one of the NC lighthouses. Quite a few of them are open to the public. Bald Head Island and its lighthouse is a neat place, requiring a ferry ride from Southport, NC.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:20 PM

460 posts, read 987,792 times
The only one I can think of, is down on Sullivans Island, near Charleston. I got to go up in it, back in the late 1960's, while it was still an active lighthouse. It now belongs to the National Parks Service. It is shut down now, and not normally open to the public. But on occasion, they do have an open house and let people go to the top. Here is a thread from the Charleston section, which has some pictures, and more information.

Open house at the Sullivans Island Lighthouse 2/12/2011

Old 04-13-2011, 07:54 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
Thanks for the replies! I was just curious as to whether there was a lighthouse in Myrtle Beach. Maybe on my next little getaway, I can try going to Charleston or the other place I've been wanting to visit - the Outerbanks.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area