Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,345,329 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
My step son (20) went to Myrtle Beach yesterday afternoon with a few friends for a few days. A few hours ago they stopped at a store, shopped, came back out and his car wouldn't go! It started but would not drive. It is making all kinds of noise but he does not know what is wrong. His dad and I are trying very hard to help him over the phone but we are in TN. We believe it might be as simple as spark plug gone bad, but it is a 99 Chevy Malibu that has those plug boots verses wires and the kid is not very mechanically inclined and having a hard time checking out things. He has had it towed back to his friends time share place but this is where we are stuck.
Does anyone know of a good mechanic in Myrtle Beach that 1. will not take advantage of a young kid and tell him he needs a new engine or something crazy like that. 2. A mechanic that will go to the car? I know, that is a lot to ask a mechanic and we have no problem paying a trip fee but if this happens to be a big problem, we have no place but the time share place to put the car and even then not sure about this situation. It also seems crazy to have the car towed to a shop if it is something simple.
He is a good Christian kid, all of them are. They just need some local help.
Anyone? I would appreciate it very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 PM

251 posts, read 1,129,027 times
Have your son look in the yellow pages under "traveler's aid" or some similar heading(or they may be listed in the community services section in the front of the phone book). There are organizations in MYB who are dedicated to helping travelers in distress, including some church organizations. one of them can possibly give your boy's advice and support. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 PM

Thank you! I will see if we can find that listing and get something done. But it looks like hubby is going to be driving down there tomorrow and see if he can fix it. Boy would sure like to know if it something simple before we drive 300 plus miles, but oh well, such is the parenting life right?

Old 07-11-2007, 08:34 PM

Actually after doing a Internet search for that organization ( because called son, there is no phone book in the time share!) I found that MB has Mobile mechanics! How cool is that? Never heard of that, what a great business idea. I never would have even thought to look for that if you didn't tell me about that service (which I could not find ) and the son couldn't find the phone book, so again, thank you.
I know this thread makes my son sound very incompetent, but he really isn't! hahahahah This is his first experience with this kind of thing.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:00 PM

882 posts, read 3,540,577 times
Try the Mobile Mechanic. 843-294-4204. They have been around here for a few years now and I've not heard anything bad about them. My old boss knew the owner and I know that they called him out to fix their son's vehicle at least once.. A benefit to this is that he takes Credit Cards.

Another option is the A-1 Mobil auto mechanic at 843-421-6954. The ad shows that they are ASE certified, as is the Mobile Mechanic.

By the sounds of things, if it cranks and runs, but won't actually drive, it's the transmission. Hope you get it worked out and be sure to post up and let us know what you found the problem to be.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Try the Mobile Mechanic. 843-294-4204. They have been around here for a few years now and I've not heard anything bad about them. My old boss knew the owner and I know that they called him out to fix their son's vehicle at least once.. A benefit to this is that he takes Credit Cards.

Another option is the A-1 Mobil auto mechanic at 843-421-6954. The ad shows that they are ASE certified, as is the Mobile Mechanic.

By the sounds of things, if it cranks and runs, but won't actually drive, it's the transmission. Hope you get it worked out and be sure to post up and let us know what you found the problem to be.
Thank you! Those are two of the ones I found numbers for just a few minutes ago, glad to hear they have a good reputation. We don't think it is the transmission because it takes a while to start it but it shakes and makes racket before he even puts in in gear, it will drive, just not without it like being on a bun-ken bronco. That is what is leaning us towards (and hoping) it is something as simple as a plug, if only 3 cylinders are firing, it could cause this. We are praying it is not the transmission!
Thank you again for your help, I appreciate you.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 PM

Glad to help.. I always like thinking that someone would be so kind as to do the same if I, or my wife, were ever in need...

Hopefully it's something simple..

Old 07-12-2007, 08:33 AM

3,321 posts, read 9,201,928 times
Another option for future reference is to enroll all members in AAA. Liz

Old 07-13-2007, 01:36 PM

any word on what the problem was?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:40 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,443,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Another option for future reference is to enroll all members in AAA. Liz
You can get 24/7 roadside assistance for less than $10 a year through most auto insurance companies too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area