Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 16,254 times

Advertisements

I went to McDonalds - I was charged 11% sales tax in Conway, SC - same county as Myrtle Beach, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,792,709 times
The sales tax here is crazy. Sometimes I will have a receipt with three different taxes on it. I don't know what it should have been at McDonalds in Conway but I would call and question it or next time you go question it. My mother in law lives in Carolina Forest and she said the stores/restaurants over there are not all charging the same and a few she knows are over charging.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,558,988 times
Maybe they do not consider Conway or Myrtle Beach a "city"?? (This is from a current online article.....)

Cities with combined state, county and city tax rates of more than 9 percent include:
  • Chicago.
  • Glendale, Ariz.
  • Seattle.
  • San Francisco.
  • St. Louis.
  • Phoenix.
  • Memphis, Tenn.
  • Nashville, Tenn.
  • San Jose, Calif.
  • Tuscon, Ariz.
  • Mesa, Ariz.
  • Scottsdale, Ariz.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:10 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,838,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Maybe they do not consider Conway or Myrtle Beach a "city"?? (This is from a current online article.....)
We don't have high taxes around here, we have "fees"...

From the City of Myrtle Beach website:
Quote:
Prepared food (includes restaurant meals) 11.5%
(5% State Sales Tax + 1% State Tax Relief + 1% Horry County Road Sales Tax + 1% Local Education Capital Improvements Sales Tax + 2.5% Hospitality Fee* + 1% Tourism Development Fee = 11.5%)
Conway's taxes and fees would be similar, with maybe minor differences.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,352,040 times
Question, PD or anyone, on the aforementioned Horry County Road Sales Tax. I read this began in May 2007 and is supposed to end (correct me if I'm wrong) in 7 years or less from the start date. I was also curious if the State Tax Relief and/or Local Education Capital Improvements Sales Tax also had a time limit.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:23 PM

249 posts, read 516,225 times
Does anyone know how or why the tax rate had gotten so high?

I have my suspicions.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,838,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Question, PD or anyone, on the aforementioned Horry County Road Sales Tax. I read this began in May 2007 and is supposed to end (correct me if I'm wrong) in 7 years or less from the start date. I was also curious if the State Tax Relief and/or Local Education Capital Improvements Sales Tax also had a time limit.
After a while, all of these add-ons begin to run together, so I may have some of 'em confused. I'm pretty sure the 1% state tax relief is an alternative method for funding school districts at the state level, rather than county level. Since it reduced the burden on property taxes, I believe this is a permanent change. Of course, "permanent" means until the next time the Columbia Legislative Circus decides to tinker with tax codes.

As I recall, the Capital Improvement Sales Tax expires 7 or 8 years after it is implemented. It can then be re-implemented by referendum. Of course, I've been wrong before.

Quote:
Dregg wondered: Does anyone know how or why the tax rate had gotten so high?
The base state sales tax is 5%, which isn't particularly high. MB is a tourist destination. Since tourists pay sales taxes while they're in town, offsetting property taxes with increased sales tax makes a lot of sense to locals. On one level, that's called payback. On a higher level, tourists are major users of our infrastructure, and should be expected to contribute to the cost. If all Horry County had to worry about were their permanent residents, the cost of roads, utilitiies, county employees, etc, etc, would be much, much lower.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,587 times
I live in Carolina Forest and I was charged 2.5% prepared food tax on lunch meat bought in the deli section of Food Lion. Why???

Old 05-16-2014, 10:11 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,792,709 times
http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/8A...0/Chapter7.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area