Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 02:19 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,872,031 times

Advertisements

I normally vacation on the Gulf, but I'm not playing around with the oil situation down there right now. So I've decided on Myrtle Beach.

However, I know little to nothing about it other than "attractions".

Can anyone tell me, is there ample public access to the beach should you book inland? Is there an advantage to staying at a beach front hotel as opposed to further inland, other than being able to walk to the beach? I don't want to book off-beach and discover that the beaches are exclusive to the hotels and public access is limited or over crowded.

How much does it cost to park generally and how hard is it to find a parking place? Are there any places that are particularly nice to walk around?

Anything else you can think of that is helpful would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid spending a bunch of money (going to the gulf has always been significantly cheaper) and the only reason I'm going to the beach at all this year is for my daughter - who was too young to remember our past beach vacations. This will be the first she's likely to remember.

Thanks!

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 06-29-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM

540 posts, read 1,681,211 times
Parking never seems to be an issue when we go, nor is it expensive. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid the Gulf. Sadly, that region will continue to be hit hard economically.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,883,390 times
There are several parking lots that offer all day parking for about $10. On street meter parking is 15 minutes for 25 cents. I think, but you can only do a couple of hours at a time.

The big benefit for me to get an on beach rental is waking up & going to bed with beautiful view. That may not be worth it to you, though. Hope you have a great trip!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,145,538 times
If you're staying north of myrtle beach (not in North Myrtle, but just the north end of MB), parking is free. The beach is much nicer there as well. I recommend the area between 76th and 82nd avenues north. If you turn on 79th ave N. towards the beach, you'll find a whole strip of free beach access parking (actual spaces as well as grass parking), and it's nothing but houses so the beach is MUCH less crowded. It's the only beach in the city of Myrtle Beach we will visit.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 PM

540 posts, read 1,681,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If you're staying north of myrtle beach (not in North Myrtle, but just the north end of MB), parking is free. The beach is much nicer there as well. I recommend the area between 76th and 82nd avenues north. If you turn on 79th ave N. towards the beach, you'll find a whole strip of free beach access parking (actual spaces as well as grass parking), and it's nothing but houses so the beach is MUCH less crowded. It's the only beach in the city of Myrtle Beach we will visit.

Yeah, that's where we go as well. Don't like the lower end at all.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:43 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,701,729 times
Although it would cost more, I'd suggest getting a pass to the state parks. I'm not sure if they sell a weekly pass to both parks or not, but that would get you into a nice-sized parking lot. MB State Park has a pier and Huntington Beach State Park has causeways where you can often see alligators, and they have a "castle" you can tour and I believe a nature center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area