Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times

Advertisements

Yes, MB's crime is higher but you must take into consideration that the population of Myrtle Beach icreases so dramatically during the summer with tourists that the numbers are quite fallible. Crime rates are calculated by the number of crimes in relation to its full time population. In MB the year-round population is realtively low but they have such a jump in crime AND population during the summer that numbers are not in true relation.

Even with that, the seven major felonies (homicide, robbery, rape, grand larceny, auto theft, burglary and felony assault) are still relatively low. Like I said earlier, I FEEL safer here than I did in NYC. Much of this has to do with perception and the media.

Also, just as Toootsie said, the crime is lower the more south you go from Myrtle Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 68,496 times
Default Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks SO much everyone!

Any other opinions/imput is greatly appreciated.
I am grateful for the help....also, is homeowners insurance high since it is by the coast?
Nikki

Old 06-30-2007, 04:55 AM

38 posts, read 145,712 times
We have been in the Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet are since Oct 06 and recently bought in a 55 Plus sub division in Murrells Inlet.

The Myrtle Beach area during the summer is like a giant walmart, on sale day.
Murrells Inlet is quiet and rarely see anyone who looks like a hood or homeless.

It seems to have been overlooked by many hurricanes, judging from the home we bought that was built in 1987.

If you need to do any shopping go early before the campers wake up.
If you drive in the right lane and go with the flow the driving is fairly easy. Don't forget that most of the people driving here are tourists and are not familiar with where to go.

As for crime, the crooks go where the money and heavy population is because in confusion there is profit. The TV has a habit of blowing up crime stories because it sells.

If you like to walk on the beach and collect shells there are various state parks and with a resident pass you can go in for free.

As soon as the summer is finished, life goes back to those lazy southern days where where people are not so rushed.

Life is long and living here in Murrells Inlet will make it even longer.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,572 times
My inlaws live in Surfside and have for that past 20 years. They live a few blocks from the ocean, however, what i love about Surfside is that it has that community feel. There are wonderful parks, tennis courts and a newly remodled library. You can ride a bike or golf cart to several different restaurants near the Surfside Pier. Surfside has many festivities throughout the year that are all very family oriented, thus giving it the nick name, "the family beach". Not sure where you are moving from but you can get a nice house, walking distance to the ocean for an amazing price. Dr Horton is finishing a neighborhood beach side of Surfside for the mid to upper 200's. The schools in Surfside are AMAZING. We no longer live in Surfside for job reasons but when we were there, my children attented Seaside Elementary. Look it up online, the report card speaks for itself. In summary, Surfside offers a lifestyle that is laid back. There are many things to do nearby if you are looking for entertainment. You do live near the beach, so you will have deal with some traffic and tourists but i have never felt overwhelmed. Most of the "spring break" crowd vacations in Myrtle Beach. My favorite time of the year is when the tourists all go home and you really have the beach to yourself. No place is perfect, but i would say that Surfside is a definite contender.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:30 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,621 times
heather, I echo most of your enthusiasm for Surfside, but this thread is over 4 years old. I am hoping the OP has settled in somewhere by now.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
My husband and I are moving to South Carolina and wanting to know which is the better place surf side myrtle beach or m inlet ( we are retiring )

Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
One blends into the other..... (well actually Surf Side - Garden City - Murrells Inlet). We chose Murrells Inlet for retirement. More mellow......

Old 02-07-2014, 09:25 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
I agree with tmozer

Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
One blends into the other..... (well actually Surf Side - Garden City - Murrells Inlet). We chose Murrells Inlet for retirement. More mellow......
Technically, Murrells Inlet is the mainland and Garden City Beach is the barrier island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area