Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:15 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times

Advertisements

Tina Turner (so many songs). Here are a couple:

YouTube - Tina Turner Missing You Music Video

YouTube - James Bond: GoldenEye MusicVideo "Normal Quality" - Drumble

YouTube - COSAS DE LA VIDA -1997- EROS RAMAZZOTTI TINA TURNER official (A duet with Eros Raamzzotti, but I really like TT's vocals)

YouTube - Tina Turner | Divas Live 1999 | Simply The Best |

Sarah Brightman (again, so many to choose). Here are a couple:

YouTube - Ave Maria. Schubert. Sarah Brightman (with Russian icons)

YouTube - Sarah Brightman - Love changes everything

Debbie Harry:

YouTube - Moby featuring Debbie Harry - New York New York

YouTube - Blondie - Maria (Live 1999 NYC)

Elaine Paige:

YouTube - Elaine Paige- Don't Cry For Me Argentina(London 2000)

Allison Moyet:

YouTube - yazoo-only you

Bonnie Tyler: Especially her duets with other top-notch female singers, and some of her vintage 80s work.

YouTube - Bonnie Tyler and Kareen Antonn Si Demain ( Turn Around ) (with Kareen Antonn)

YouTube - Sylvie Vartan / Bonnie Tyler - It's a heartache (with Sylvie Vartan)

YouTube - holding out for a hero Bonnie Tyler

YouTube - Bonnie Tyler If you were a woman and I was a man

YouTube - Bonnie Tyler Tyre Tracks and Broken Hearts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 AM

824 posts, read 2,792,865 times

YouTube - Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger (Live at Royal Albert Hall) (1973)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raQqGLPcHzg (I Who have Nothing, 1991, Istanbul, Turkey)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0pOAVGvePQ (This Is My Life, 1990, Atlantic City, NJ)

Old 12-20-2008, 04:26 PM

434 posts, read 934,236 times
Wow, I am a singer and lyric writer myself

I judge people by their music taste buds

Gosh, hard for me to find a friend here and anywhere

Old 12-20-2008, 04:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,970,598 times

YouTube - Scandal, Patty Smyth - Goodbye To You

Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,015,955 times

YouTube - Cher The Way of Love

My favorite Cher song

Old 12-20-2008, 08:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,489,825 times
Favorite songs from female singers. Boy, there are a bunch. (There are some repeats in here from other threads, but who cares?)

In no particular order:

Sarah Vaughan- "Star Eyes" and "Key Largo." Two very different tunes with different orchestrations that show this lady's range.

Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit." One of the most painful and emotional songs ever recorded--this from a giant who--amazingly--only had about a one octave vocal range. She knew how to use every bit of it. Also, "My Man." Want to know what jazz is about? Start there.

YouTube - Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

YouTube - Billie Holiday, My Man

Ella Fitzgerald - "Love For Sale" by Cole Porter. Where has there ever been a more sad and beautiful song sung about prostitution? Here sung by one of the greatest female vocalists of all time.

YouTube - Love for Sale Ella Fitzgerald

Judy Garland - "The Man Who Got Away." Probably the best tune ever recorded for a movie musical--arguably Garland's best ever musical performance.

YouTube - Judy Garland - "The Man That Got Away" from "A Star Is Born"

Linda Ronstadt - "Lush Life." Ronstadt did a credible job covering numerous standards in her three albums recorded with Nelson Riddle, but most were covered as well or better by other artists over the years. Ronstadt's version of "Lush Life," however, stands as one of the best versions of this tune recorded by a female singer.

YouTube - Linda Ronstadt sings "Lush Life" by Billy Strayhorn

Karrin Allyson - "Some Other Time." This relatively obscure tune from the musical "On the Town" was pretty forgettable in the Broadway and movie version. Allyson covers it with a fresh arrangement and a haunting emotional vocal.

June Christy - "Something Cool." Great tune, great arrangement, and a great vocal from a singer who has not received the recognition that she should have. Also done just about as well by Tierney Sutton.

YouTube - June Christy - Something Cool

Anita O'Day - "Let Me Off Uptown," "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "Tea For Two." She was "hip" before hip was cool. Underappreciated these days.

YouTube - Gene Krupa - Let me off uptown

YouTube - Anita O'day - Sweet Georgia Brown & Tea For Two

Keely Smith - "When Day is Done." I came onto this one the other day. I have long loved Keely's singing--this is her at her best. Also, check out her version of "Indian Love Call."
http://www.nelsonriddlemusic.com/Kee...0Is%20Done.mp3

Fran Warren - "You Don't Know What Love Is." A great tune from a relatively unknown and unappreciated vocalist.

YouTube - Fran Warren Tribute

Jo Stafford - "Haunted Heart" and "A Sunday Kind of Love." Jo could do it all--jazz, pop, ensmble singing.

YouTube - Jo Stafford - 'A Sunday Kind of Love'

Old 12-21-2008, 10:07 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,680,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I have few female musicians whose voices are so heavenly to my ears, and those musicians have songs that i'm willing to listen every day at least once a day for the rest of my life. Here is my list below, share yours:

YouTube - Sarah McLachlan - Sweet Surrender
Sarah Mclachlan - her Sweet Surrender song is amazing

YouTube - Dido - White Flag
Dido - "White Flag". Dido's voice is so beautiful and that song gets me every time.

YouTube - sandra cretu one more night
Sandra Cretu - One More Night, her voice is so sexy!!! Makes me want to switch orientation. LOL.

YouTube - Enya - Only Time
Enya - "Only Time"

I'm sure I will think of more, but those are the top ones!!!
Im a fellew Sara Mclachlan fan. Im also an Enya fan. I spent a year living in British Columbia and of course Canadians love their Canadian singers. Enya was born in Ireland but gained fame in Canada.

"Only Time" is a rather simple song but it's a song you hear for the very first time and just say WOW.

Favorite female singers. I will always go with Reba McEntire and Carly Simon. 2 opposite ends huh?

A few more right at the top of my favorites in no particluar order:

Joan Baez
Grace Slick
Patty Smith
Martina Mcbride
Carry Underwood
Kelly Clarkson
Joni Mitchel
Judy Collins
Madonna
Lita Ford
Pat Benatar
Stevie Nicks
Diana Ross
Carol King
Debbie Harry

Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,393,444 times
Guys, you have to listen to this new song by Regina Spektor called "The Call". I just fell in love with it yesterday!

YouTube - Regina Spektor- The Call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music