Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2024, 07:08 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,924,251 times

Advertisements

I'm rather surprised that no one has mentioned Duane Eddy having passed away 4 days ago. It would appear that he was not nearly as popular in the U.S. as he was elsewhere such as the UK and Australia where he was tremendously popular for a brief moment in time.

Does anyone have any particular memories of Duane and his twangy guitar from the late 1950s/early1960s? As a young teen at the time, I just loved his version of Because They're Young and the Peter Gunn Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKm2_67xtVs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwVD3CZ90jk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

5,469 posts, read 8,199,224 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqy0...nnel=Letterman

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times
RIP - Duane Eddy was not only a great musician but also the inspiration for a lot of later music and musicians.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

3,079 posts, read 8,032,833 times
I can remember Duane by his guitar sound. The "King of Twang" as many knew his signature tone. Rebel Rouser, Because They're Young, Forty Miles of Bad Road, etc. were some of the memories I have of him. Duane, you've left your mark on music. RIP my friend.

If you haven't heard Duane, go to YouTube and get hooked up!

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

18,237 posts, read 25,894,159 times
I was lucky to see Duane Eddy in concert--July 4, 1990.
Toured with the Everly Brothers! Duane and the band came out first and played about 40 minutes of his classic tunes--especially Peter Gunn, Rebel Rouser, Theme from Have Gun Will Travel(Paladin) Everlys came out and did a half hour acoustic, took a ten minute break, and came back out with Duane and his band for another 45 minutes, the one song that stands out is "Bowling Green". What a great evening THAT was!!

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,924,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I was lucky to see Duane Eddy in concert--July 4, 1990.
Toured with the Everly Brothers! Duane and the band came out first and played about 40 minutes of his classic tunes--especially Peter Gunn, Rebel Rouser, Theme from Have Gun Will Travel(Paladin) Everlys came out and did a half hour acoustic, took a ten-minute break, and came back out with Duane and his band for another 45 minutes, the one song that stands out is "Bowling Green". What a great evening THAT was!!
Yes, now Duane as well as Don and Phil Everly are gone . . .something we believed could never happen in our, at the time, young minds. We believed that they were immortal.

Old Today, 07:39 PM

18,237 posts, read 25,894,159 times
[quote=RomulusXXV;66705637] Yes, now Duane give theme as well as Don and Phil Everly are gone . . .something we believed could never happen in our, at the time, young minds. We believed that they were immortal. [/
quote]

If anyone in the crowd would have been pleased, it would be Chet Atkins. Yes. Chet!

One of the pleasures of my life was seeing Chet in concert, a couple years before he passed. During several songs he had a good word to say about Duane and the Everlys. Atkins was a long time friend of Don and Phils dad and finally convinced Arch Bleyer of Cadence Records to sign them. And Chet stayed in contact with all of them for years, check out some of the you tubes with both Chet and Duane!

Whenever the Everlys and Duane Eddy would chart a song I would get on my Schwinn, go down to the local Woolworths and spend what lawn mowing money I had on them. 60 some years later, I still spin those tunes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music