Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Minor Threat rocks, as do the Exploited. I also got into some newer punk (ie the Epitaph punks)... bands such as DFL, Rancid, Pennywise, Bad Religion, NOFX, Total Anarchy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
In high school I was all about crust/hardcore/powerviolence, and I still listen to alot of it 10 years later. Spazz, Dystopia, Assuck, Despise You, Dropdead, Hellnation, Capitalist Casualties, Man is the Bastard, Discordance Axis, 324, Suppression, Slight Slappers, His Hero is Gone, Monster X, Grimple, Misery, Disrupt. Whorehouse of Representatives, Code 13, Fu** On The Beach, Brother Inferior, Plutocracy, Hemdale, Masskontroll, etc...I am sure there are so many I am forgetting. Now I love sludge/doom and death metal (along with hiphop, jazz, classical, and more).

Last edited by toughguy; 04-01-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-01-2008, 05:37 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Minor Threat rocks, as do the Exploited. I also got into some newer punk (ie the Epitaph punks)... bands such as DFL, Rancid, Pennywise, Bad Religion, NOFX, Total Anarchy, etc.
You have a pretty liberal definition of "newer" punk. NOFX has been around since '83, and Bad Religion since '80.

I'm a big fan of old hardcore. I love Minor Threat and the Bad Brains. Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, The Minutemen, Reagan Youth. I've been on a huge Reagan Youth kick. I can't stop listening.

I just watched "We Jam Econo" which is a documentary about The Minutemen. If you like the Minutemen I would recommend watching it. Its pretty interesting.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:50 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
You have a pretty liberal definition of "newer" punk. NOFX has been around since '83, and Bad Religion since '80.

Yeah, really. I remember buying DFL, Rancid, Bad Religion and NOFX in 1994/5 and those bands weren't exactly new (sans DFL) back then either.

I haven't really thought about DFL in a long time. I'm not even sure if I still have their CD. I remember "Pizza man, pizza man HE DELIVERS!!!!" Good times.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:51 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I have not seen it but it's definitely on my list. Actually, I already decided to buy it because that's the type of thing that I'll want to see several times.
Sad about HR. He is a HC hero but, tragically, he now sucks. He single-handedly ruined the recent Bad Brains "comeback" album. It's pretty amusing to go online and search for comments from people who saw BB live in the late 80s and subsequent reunions. Lots of comments about a drug-addled HR acting insane onstage. Oh well, he's still the best punk vocalist of the 80s.

As to Skrewdriver: For all the political ranting that Jello Biafra has done and continues to do, the best 4 words he ever spoke were these:
"Nazi Punks F**k Off"
Heh yea, though Skrewdriver did put out some great music even though it was very controversial. A lot of rap has racist content, but people still listen to it. Same thing with skrewdriver, and bands like Angry Aryans, while they have some racist content, the music is great. Gotta take it for what it is i guess. And i agree with those that said bands like NOFX and Rancid, also bands that have put out some excellent songs. I actually kinda like the Rancid(2000) album, it was pretty tough compared to some of their stuff, and i liked the edge it has. Songs like "let me go", "not to regret", and "blackhawk down" show some excellent grittier musicianship, and songs like "Axiom" really show off Matt Freeman's talent on the bass.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:07 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Heh yea, though Skrewdriver did put out some great music even though it was very controversial. A lot of rap has racist content, but people still listen to it. Same thing with skrewdriver, and bands like Angry Aryans, while they have some racist content, the music is great. Gotta take it for what it is i guess. And i agree with those that said bands like NOFX and Rancid, also bands that have put out some excellent songs. I actually kinda like the Rancid(2000) album, it was pretty tough compared to some of their stuff, and i liked the edge it has. Songs like "let me go", "not to regret", and "blackhawk down" show some excellent grittier musicianship, and songs like "Axiom" really show off Matt Freeman's talent on the bass.

Haha, I never thought I'd see "Angry Aryans" mentioned on City-Data. "You must spread more rep around before giving it to The A-Team again". There are some really good bands in that genre. Weisse Wolfe is among the most talented and interesting punk bands I've ever heard, Blue Eyed Devils are one of my favorite hardcore groups, No Remorse "Son of Odin" is one of my favorite punk albums. Landser, Skullhead, Bound For Glory and Celtic Warrior all get high ratings from me as well. While there are some good bands out there, a lot of those kinds of bands are terrible and pretty much only exist because they have their politics as a gimmick. A lot of the newer stuff I've heard in that genre is complete garbage.

I didn't really like Rancid 2000. To me it seemed like a ploy to cash in on the "I liked the first Rancid album when it came out and Let's Go was ok, but after that they sucked" sentiments in the uber-punk community. Back when they were playing them on MTV, the cool thing to do in the punk community was talk about how you were into Rancid and Green Day before they hit it big (90% of the time it was a lie) and talk about how much they suck now.

I think Rancid's brightest moment was "And Out Come The Wolves". That's easily one of my favorite punk albums ever and has been pretty much since it came out. I like all the other albums, this one stands out to me though. On "Indestructable" I think Tim Armstrong kind of sounds like Kim Jong Il as portrayed on "Team America: World Police".

Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
In high school I was all about crust/hardcore/powerviolence, and I still listen to alot of it 10 years later. Spazz, Dystopia, Assuck, Despise You, Dropdead, Hellnation, Capitalist Casualties, Man is the Bastard, Discordance Axis, 324, Suppression, Slight Slappers, His Hero is Gone, Monster X, Grimple, Misery, Disrupt. Whorehouse of Representatives, Code 13, Fu** On The Beach, Brother Inferior, Plutocracy, Hemdale, Masskontroll, etc...I am sure there are so many I am forgetting. Now I love sludge/doom and death metal (along with hiphop, jazz, classical, and more).
You are mentioning some of my favourites there together with Infest,No Comment,XbrainiaX and Dead Radical.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
There are some really good bands in that genre. Weisse Wolfe is among the most talented and interesting punk bands I've ever heard, Blue Eyed Devils are one of my favorite hardcore groups, No Remorse "Son of Odin" is one of my favorite punk albums. Landser, Skullhead, Bound For Glory and Celtic Warrior all get high ratings from me as well. While there are some good bands out there, a lot of those kinds of bands are terrible and pretty much only exist because they have their politics as a gimmick. A lot of the newer stuff I've heard in that genre is complete garbage.
By genre do you mean racist hardcore? I just can't listen to that no matter how good the bands may be. I'm not accusing people who appreciate that stuff of being racist themselves and I listen to plenty of music with various types of offensive lyrics. But I draw the line at white supremacy - it just makes me feel too angry and ill to really listen.

Quote:
Back when they were playing them on MTV, the cool thing to do in the punk community was talk about how you were into Rancid and Green Day before they hit it big (90% of the time it was a lie) and talk about how much they suck now.
I had a different experience during that time. One of my friends called in to a radio station during the height of Dookie to say "People who say Green Day suck now because they sold out are dead wrong - they always sucked". My friends and I made fun of that band relentlessly as the ultimate poseurs. I also could never really stand Rancid. They just sound so sadly lame in comparison to Operation Ivy.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
True, Bad Religion has been around the block, but I used the "newer" expression when comparing them to the Pistols, Exploited, etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I'm surprised noone mentioned The Exploited. And although controversial, Skrewdriver is another old one.
When Ian Stewart was assinated they kinda.... ended..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music