Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:10 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times

Advertisements

Will Smith was quoted in this article to say that Hollywood is still sqimish having the black male having a love scene with a white female. That ol' mandingo complex....

Quote:
Racism stops Will Smith from kissing Cameron Diaz

Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 8:36:17 PM by freedom44

Will Smith claims he was forbidden from kissing Cameron Diaz on screen because of American racism.
The actor said Hollywood panders to the nation's problem of seeing a black man and white woman getting intimate and stopped the co-stars kissing in new movie 'Hitch'. To avoid controversy, Smith says he smooched Latin beauty Eva Mendes instead. The 36-year-old 'Men in Black' star said: "How are you not going to consider Cameron Diaz? ..............

Racism stops Will Smith from kissing Cameron Diaz
As I look back in movies with interracial love themes, most seem to shy away from black male/white female.....but have no problem with white male/ black female.

Have anyone ever scene A-Listers like Jolie, Johansen, Theron, Julia Roberts or Fox ever do a full out sex scene with a black man? (A-Lister not necessarily meaning in talent. But in appeal) If there is a relationship, it's kinda "hinted" at. But know real "full out" expression of it.

Conversely, the black A-List females have more love or sex scenes with white men.....

Does Will Smith have a point?? Is there still some squimishness of behalf of Hollywood on this?

State your case either way....

Be civil.

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Will Smith probably knows more about the insides of Hollywood than I do, so he probably has a point.

I can think of a fairly big recent exception though. NBC's HEROES had an interracial couple where the woman was a blonde hottie and her husband was black. I don't remember it causing any controversy at all.

And of the pictures you posted: The very first one is Charlize Theron, who was in HANCOCK, where she played the love interst of ... Will Smith.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
could it be b/c there aren't that many high profile, male black actors around? high profile, black female actors outnumber their male counterparts. now, there are a lot of black male comedic actors, but how likely are they to even co-star w/ Julia Roberts or Nicole Kidman? off the top of my head, I can think of many black male actors that aren't part of the "older generation" (ie, Will Smith, Samuel L Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishboune, Don Cheadle, etc). Terrence Howard, Tyrese, and Taye Diggs are the first 3 to come into my head, and the latter 2 aren't really that major

one movie I can think of w/ an interracial couple was Lakeview Terrace (white man, black woman) where the fact that they were interracial being the main plot points.

oh, and the day Megan Fox becomes a legit A-Lister is the day I eat the contents of my cat's litterbox! (sorry, just a random aside)

Old 10-18-2009, 12:00 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,450,929 times
I remembet thinking this when I watched the "Pelican Brief".

YouTube - The Pelican Brief (1993) Part 13

Anything missing?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Will Smith probably knows more about the insides of Hollywood than I do, so he probably has a point.

I can think of a fairly big recent exception though. NBC's HEROES had an interracial couple where the woman was a blonde hottie and her husband was black. I don't remember it causing any controversy at all.

And of the pictures you posted: The very first one is Charlize Theron, who was in HANCOCK, where she played the love interst of ... Will Smith.

Did they show them either of those two examples in a full on sex or love scene?

That's thye point of this issue.

All of those black actresses have done the full-on nasty with white men.
Did Charlize even French kiss Will Smith in the movie?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
I remembet thinking this when I watched the "Pelican Brief".

YouTube - The Pelican Brief (1993) Part 13

Anything missing?
Plenty. If that was a white guy he would at least get some tongue.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
could it be b/c there aren't that many high profile, male black actors around? high profile, black female actors outnumber their male counterparts. now, there are a lot of black male comedic actors, but how likely are they to even co-star w/ Julia Roberts or Nicole Kidman? off the top of my head, I can think of many black male actors that aren't part of the "older generation" (ie, Will Smith, Samuel L Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishboune, Don Cheadle, etc). Terrence Howard, Tyrese, and Taye Diggs are the first 3 to come into my head, and the latter 2 aren't really that major

one movie I can think of w/ an interracial couple was Lakeview Terrace (white man, black woman) where the fact that they were interracial being the main plot points.

oh, and the day Megan Fox becomes a legit A-Lister is the day I eat the contents of my cat's litterbox! (sorry, just a random aside)
1. You obvious have not followed black actors through the years to know how many there are. There are plenty. And even of the ones you just named, all have worked opposite a famous white female co-star. And if they were Brad Pitt Don Cheadle, some sex would have gone down. How the heck can you pair Julia Roberts with Denzel, and they don't even kiss??

2. Lakeview Terrace ? That proves Will Smith's point. An A-list Black actress with a white man that I don't think anybody had seen before is movie. But there they are half naked in the pool. Think Taye Diggs could get half naked with Jolie or Scarlett in that same scene?

3. And if you re-read my post, I state that "A-List" did not necessarily mean talent. It could mean "appeal". And like it or not Megan Fox is the taste of the moment.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:03 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
There might be some merit to the argument, although I don't think that as many people are bothered by it [black man-white woman love scenes] as some movie producers might think.
Man on Fire apparently had some very racy love scenes between Denzel and a non A-list actress that were later cut. And he very famously hooked up with a white non A-list actress in Malcom X. But it seems that whenever a black man is hooking up with a white woman on screen, it is usually (but not always) b/c he views her as a "prize" that legitimizes or validates him as a successful man, which is why I think we don't see more black man-white woman r-ships on the big screen. There also still exists a social stigma for a white woman to date a black man, and a lot of it has to do with my aformentioned insight. Whether or not it constitutes racism (and we need to ask ourselves who exactly is being racist here) is up for debate.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:28 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
It's just a very deep rooted thing for some people. Black men and white men each have their own hangups about seeing black guys with white chicks, as do white women and black women. Those are like the two most polarizing groups as far as interracial stuff goes.

Now as far as white guys, they can hook up with black, latin, asian, whatever in a movie or tv show and it's viewed as normal because they are the default character.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Will Smith needs to count his blessings...I'd much rather kiss Eva Mendes then Cameron Diaz!

As to his claims, he sounds kind of whiney. It's not as though we see all that many white male actors paired up doing love scenes with black females, the fact that such a big deal is made over it when it does happen should tell you that it doesn't happen that often. When you consider the ratio of white male actors to black male actors, I'd say it's the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies