Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,188,276 times

Advertisements

My eight year old has been begging to watch horror films for years. Specifically Halloween and It. So far we haven't let her but I love horror films too so I want to start to ease her in.

I think It would be fine now so I may start with that tomorrow night. (I haven't seen either new It). What else would be a good entry?

I'm holding off on Child's Play because she still really likes toys and I don't want to ruin that for her. I also won't do Nightmare on Elm St. because I don't need her not sleeping.

I'm not looking for kiddy "scary" movies like Monster House or Coraline. We want really horror movies.

Could someone remind me about the original Halloween? All I can think about is the Rob Zombie version and I'm not letting her watch that.

ETA: I forgot to mention her grandma took her to Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark a few weeks ago because she had no idea what it was about. Grandma and her older sister both left the theater and left the eight year old to finish the movie (she was thrilled).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:23 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
My eight year old has been begging to watch horror films for years. Specifically Halloween and It. So far we haven't let her but I love horror films too so I want to start to ease her in.
Are you serious?

I'm pretty open to children and film. And I think Halloween is an intelligently-done piece of accomplished cinema. (I haven't seen It).

That said, the horror genre essentially tries to viscerally terrorize its audience. It requires a certain level of emotional maturity to be able to contextualize that terror and to thereby enjoy its interesting psychological side effects.

Pre-adolescents do not have that maturity.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:09 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,310,390 times
Quote:
I think It would be fine now so I may start with that tomorrow night. (I haven't seen either new It). What else would be a good entry?
Are you talking about the new version or the old made-for-TV version?

The new version is VERY R-rated for violence and language. The 8th grade boys talk like 8th grade boys. There is not any explicit sex or anything like that in it.

Quote:
Could someone remind me about the original Halloween?
HALLOWEEN is a flawed masterpiece. A great movie. A classic. But it earns its R-rating for violence and some sex. Nothing explicit. It isn't 50 Shades of Halloween or anything like that. But there is a topless scene and a scene of two teens having sex.

Others I'd recommend for a smart 8 year old.

PSYCHO. The classic by which all modern horror movies are judged. And rightly so.

THE SIXTH SENSE. Totally fine for an 8 year old to see this. It's scary in parts, yes, but very moving as well.

THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE. The original from the '60s. A classic.

STAND BY ME. Not really a horror movie, but it is a Stephen King movie, and still ranks as one of the best coming-of-age movies of all time.

GREMLINS. Great light-hearted horror flick.

THE SECRET OF ROAN INISH. This really isn't a horror movie, but it does have a heavy does of the supernatural, and every kid should see this movie. Every adult too for that matter. A great movie.

ALIEN. A brave 8 year old will love this. I saw it when I was 7. But if your 8 year old is easily scared, it might be a bit much.

DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW. A made-for-TV movie from the early '80s. Hard to find, actually, but if you can, it's a great kid-friendly horror flick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_N..._the_Scarecrow

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. By far the best of the Universal horror flicks. Still holds up as a great movie.

THE SHINING. I saw it when I was 8. It might not be appropriate for your child. You should probably watch it first, then judge.

THE CONJURING. One of the better recent horror flicks. Definitely scary. I don't remember anything in it too objectionable for an 8 year old.

THE OTHERS. Great ghost story.

CREEPSHOW. Comic book horror at its best. Some occasional R-rated language, but nothing too bad.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Pre-adolescents do not have that maturity.
Do you often paint with so broad a brush?

It totally depends on the kid. I was raised on horror movies of every sort. They didn't scare me. But we showed HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS to our four year old and he had nightmares for weeks. Even as an adult, he still has a minor phobia about bees because of that movie. JURASSIC PARK? Never bothered him.

Parents are the best judge of what their kids should see. There is no one-size fits all. Keep in mind that the ratings system was designed to inform parents, so that parents could be the final judge. Ratings are not be a catch all for every movie and every child.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW. A made-for-TV movie from the early '80s. Hard to find, actually, but if you can, it's a great kid-friendly horror flick. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_N..._the_Scarecrow
Summary of reviews from the Wikipedia page:

Dread Central gave the film a score of 4.5 out of 5, calling it "a spooky masterpiece"; praising the film's atmosphere, characters, and subtlety.[6] Justin Kerswell from Hysteria Lives! awarded the film 4/5 stars, calling it "a slow burning, fantastically creepy small screen tale". In his review, Kerswell praised the film's ambiguity, writing, "At times it's so understated, so well constructed, we are as unsure as the characters as to whether there really is something out there lurking in the dark or, perhaps, their growing paranoia has finally got the better of them."[7] Angel Van Croft from HorrorNews.net gave the film a positive review, calling it "a well made movie with great acting, directing, and plenty of spooky atmosphere."[8] Cameron McGaughy from DVD Talk offered the film similar praise, writing, "Dark Night of the Scarecrow isn't just one of the best made-for-television films ever made, it's one of the best horror films of all time... Utilizing masterful performances, locations, shots and sounds, it's a simple and subtly scary effort that relies on restraint. It stands the test of time and features an iconic image of evil that has never been more powerful, making this a classic steeped in frightful fall ambience, colors and imagery."[9] Andrew Smith from Popcorn Pictures commended the film's well-rounded characters, cinematography, and "unsettling vibe"; stating that the film was "proof that even TV movies can be effective if the makers are intent on producing something more than standard".[10]

Old 09-19-2019, 10:30 AM

Google to the rescue. The video and audio quality are not great, but you can actually watch DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI5Xwmk4fxQ

Old 09-19-2019, 12:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,188,276 times
Quote:

The new version is VERY R-rated for violence and language. The 8th grade boys talk like 8th grade boys. There is not any explicit sex or anything like that in it.

HALLOWEEN is a flawed masterpiece. A great movie. A classic. But it earns its R-rating for violence and some sex. Nothing explicit. It isn't 50 Shades of Halloween or anything like that. But there is a topless scene and a scene of two teens having sex.

PSYCHO. The classic by which all modern horror movies are judged. And rightly so.

THE SIXTH SENSE. Totally fine for an 8 year old to see this. It's scary in parts, yes, but very moving as well.

STAND BY ME. Not really a horror movie, but it is a Stephen King movie, and still ranks as one of the best coming-of-age movies of all time.

THE SECRET OF ROAN INISH. This really isn't a horror movie, but it does have a heavy does of the supernatural, and every kid should see this movie. Every adult too for that matter. A great movie.

ALIEN. A brave 8 year old will love this. I saw it when I was 7. But if your 8 year old is easily scared, it might be a bit much.

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. By far the best of the Universal horror flicks. Still holds up as a great movie.

THE SHINING. I saw it when I was 8. It might not be appropriate for your child. You should probably watch it first, then judge.

THE CONJURING. One of the better recent horror flicks. Definitely scary. I don't remember anything in it too objectionable for an 8 year old.

CREEPSHOW. Comic book horror at its best. Some occasional R-rated language, but nothing too bad.
Thanks for the suggestions! She has already seen Gremlins (loved it) and Stand By Me. I wouldn't consider either of those horror movies.

I was talking about the original It. Remakes are always more over-the-top. Seems like they're trying to make up for their lack of originality with being extreme (see Rob Zombie).

I forgot she's already seen Night of the Living Dead. She thought it was wonderfully cheesy.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I was talking about the original It.
I haven't seen it in ages. I don't remember there being anything in it that would traumatize a horror-curious kid. Parts of it are really cheesey.

I remember my reaction to it being much the same as my reaction to the book: The kids and their storyline are great. The adults aren't very likeable and their storyline weird and bizarre.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:11 PM

23,611 posts, read 70,493,499 times
Quote:

I dislike the horror genre, but that is actually about the best list I've run across.

There are psychological reasons some are more entranced by horror film than others, but that gets too complex to discuss here and the root causations are not universally agreed upon anyway.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:21 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,559,248 times
Maybe Jeepers Creepers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies