Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 05:39 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I guess you could call A-list the characters which were produced as cartoons in the 60s and 70s.
Wasn't the Black Panther created in the 60s?

Quote:
The ones that movie studios bought the rights to when Marvel Comics were trying to save itself. The B-list would be that Big 3 used to make The Avengers and the first phase of the MCU.
Well, if you're talking about Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, wouldn't they be considered A-list characters?

Quote:
Thus now the C-List (Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange) are coming with movies the D-list characters allocated to Disney/Marvel TV.

There are some anomalies like the second crew of Guardians of The Galaxy getting a movie series and Avengers Ant-Man and The Wasp not making the initial cut. Also Spider-Man and The Hulk having some kind of split movie rights deal.
Hmmm. I think that we're talking about different types of ratings system. Because I'm thinking more of how actress Diane Lane and actor Colin Farrell have always been B-list movie stars. Although since Diane Lane was in Man of Steel and Batman Vs Superman, she could be considered an A-list movie star now.

And I thought that it would be the same with characters in a movie where Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, etc., would be A-list characters while someone such as Maria Hill would be a B-list character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 05:43 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,633,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
So are you saying that people don't like Britney, Bieber, or Big Macs?
Quite the opposite. You know the phrases "masses of asses," right?

Quote:
Says one of the internet pundits and naysayers that I was talking about.
Everyone's on either side of the fence at one point or another. Same as it ever was.

Quote:
But it's not as if no one KNEW that this was going to a movie with comedic elements throughout the entire movie. Also, how do you account for the Koreans loving this movie?(Did you see the video that someone posted about this a few days ago?) Therefore, is it possible that what we're talking about is personal taste here?
It wasn't apparent how much improv they were doing until the interview where Ruffalo said "How are we getting away this?"

At that point, I knew the Planet Hulk storyline had been reduced to a punchline, green Hulk butt and all.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Also, I liked WS, but I probably would have liked it better if ABC hadn't of spoiled it for me on that special that they had on television where they revealed that BUCKY WAS THE WINTER SOLDIER. Because I had never read that comic book and I had NO IDEA that Bucky was the Winter Soldier... and that probably would have been a movie reveal that would have BLOWN...ME...AWAY.
Yes, that was messed up. I saw the movie opening weekend, and already knew the Winter Soldier's backstory, but sheesh, Marvel/ABC could have held off on that at least for a week. They even recapped the climax of the film in the show.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
There are different audiences that account for the multple viewings. For some nothing better has opened during Febuary and March. Those are the only ones we can count now. Down the line the next bunch will watch only as a run up to an Avengers 4 marathon. But then there are those who will just pull out their Blu-Ray or down load at anytime.
So that's what you were saying in your post #462? Well, okay... I guess it's clear as mud now?

Old 03-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I would call an A-list character one that had carried his own comic title for several years of success (B-list if he had a comic title but not very long).

The reason this would carry over into likely movie success is because a character that had succeeded with his title indicates mature character development and a mature character story.

This is not to say a well-written movie couldn't produce a hit from a B-lister or C-lister (see: Guardians of the Galaxy), but an A-lister is a better bet. But for that reason, Wonder Woman was clearly the best bet of female superheroes, and a better bet than any Marvel can field.
Well, that looks like a better explanation. Although Black Panther did carry his own comic title(although I don't know for how long), and therefore, that would also go contrary to what Remington Steele said.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I guess you could call A-list the characters which were produced as cartoons in the 60s and 70s. The ones that movie studios bought the rights to when Marvel Comics were trying to save itself. The B-list would be that Big 3 used to make The Avengers and the first phase of the MCU. Thus now the C-List (Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange) are coming with movies the D-list characters allocated to Disney/Marvel TV.

There are some anomalies like the second crew of Guardians of The Galaxy getting a movie series and Avengers Ant-Man and The Wasp not making the initial cut. Also Spider-Man and The Hulk having some kind of split movie rights deal.
I'd like to take a moment to point out that Daredevil is not a D-list character. Once upon a time, he was a C-lister, and then this guy called Frank Miller, who was drawing the monthly Daredevil comic, took over writing it.

Under Frank Miller, Daredevil became A-list. At one point, it even beat Marvel's perennial bestseller Uncanny X-Men (not sure how many issues, but it was noted). Under Miller, Daredevil was far and away my favorite Marvel comic. It was one of the beacons of the time (late '70s/early '80s) when certain comics and creators were on the cusp of enjoying fame that had previously eluded the industry and its creators.

Daredevil's a nuanced character who works best at street level. Unlike Batman, he didn't tangle that often with characters beyond his limitations (though he was a member of The Defenders in the 1970s).

Netflix is the best venue for Daredevil. It would also be a better venue for Doctor Strange, where they could treat the character more seriously.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 8,192,347 times
Quote:
Wasn't the Black Panther created in the 60s?

Well, if you're talking about Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, wouldn't they be considered A-list characters?
Black Panther was created, but so what so were hundreds of other characters. A-list would seem to mean that everybody would take them if possible like a consensus lottery pick basketball player in their draft. That Sony or FOX did not buy them when Marvel needed money is telling me that they were not highest priority and they did not expect a return on investment, thus not A-List.

Just because Superman and Nova had comic books don't make them both "A-List". Superman has been around since before WWII and Nova lasted a year in the late 70s. But it is possible that both can headline a movie in the near future. Since Marvel Studios had the Marvel Comics A list sold out from under them they made do with the Marvel Comics B-List where I am slotting Thor, iron-Man and Captain America.

However the overall quality of the franchise is showing the B and C list lead characters make more money than the A-List Batman and Superman. The real test will come when RDJ and the Chris's retire their roles. Would a rebooted Iron-Man still pull in the money at similar rates? Will they be temporarily retired as the C List Comic book characters movies are featured?

Quote:

And I thought that it would be the same with characters in a movie where Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, etc., would be A-list characters while someone such as Maria Hill would be a B-list character.
B character and B-List (celebrity) are two separate things. Spider-Man was a B Character in Captain America Civil War. Yet I would argue that Spider-Man is an A list celebrity while Captain America, not being bought when Marvel needed to deal his rights away is a B-list celebrity who was the protagonist (A character) of the film.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Quite the opposite. You know the phrases "masses of asses," right?
Hmmm. So are you saying that the 14 billion that Marvel has made is from people who don't have good taste?

Quote:
It wasn't apparent how much improv they were doing until the interview where Ruffalo said "How are we getting away this?"

At that point, I knew the Planet Hulk storyline had been reduced to a punchline, green Hulk butt and all.
lol Well, apparently, I must have a little bit of Korean blood in me. (Click on the 1:39 mark.)

What Koreans Think Of Black Panther | ASIAN BOSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO6d...re=youtu.be&a=

Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 PM

28,695 posts, read 18,851,180 times
Quote:
Netflix is the best venue for Daredevil. It would also be a better venue for Doctor Strange, where they could treat the character more seriously.
The Netflix concept is going to become more and more important, if used properly. However, it appears content creators may be taking the wrong lesson from it.

Doing their own streaming is the wrong lesson. Maybe Disney can pull it off, presuming they pull all their content off cable television as well as Netflix. CBS All-Access isn't going to make it that way, though.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Black Panther was created, but so what so were hundreds of other characters. A-list would seem to mean that everybody would take them if possible like a consensus lottery pick basketball player in their draft. That Sony or FOX did not buy them when Marvel needed money is telling me that they were not highest priority and they did not expect a return on investment, thus not A-List.
Okay, I see.

Quote:
Just because Superman and Nova had comic books don't make them both "A-List". Superman has been around since before WWII and Nova lasted a year in the late 70s. But it is possible that both can headline a movie in the near future.
Huh? But Superman has already headlined a very successful movie in 1978 and a successful sequel in 1980. And that's not to mention the farily successful Man of Steel in 2013 and the successful BVS in 2016.

Quote:
Since Marvel Studios had the Marvel Comics A list sold out from under them they made do with the Marvel Comics B-List where I am slotting Thor, iron-Man and Captain America.
So what do you consider to be the Marvel Comics A list that got sold out from under them? Spider-Man and the X-Men?

Quote:
However the overall quality of the franchise is showing the B and C list lead characters make more money than the A-List Batman and Superman.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand.

Quote:
The real test will come when RDJ and the Chris's retire their roles. Would a rebooted Iron-Man still pull in the money at similar rates? Will they be temporarily retired as the C List Comic book characters movies are featured?
Huh?

Quote:
B character and B-List (celebrity) are two separate things. Spider-Man was a B Character in Captain America Civil War. Yet I would argue that Spider-Man is an A list celebrity while Captain America, not being bought when Marvel needed to deal his rights away is a B-list celebrity who was the protagonist (A character) of the film.
Hmmm. I think my head is starting to spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies