Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 02:19 PM

406 posts, read 289,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Based on the hype, I suspect that a flop is approaching. Could this be Marvel's "Green Lantern"?

In any escapist fantasy, there have to be conditions and characters that one wishes to experience, vicariously. Are they present in B.P.?
It's not an escapist fantasy to whom? it can't be experienced vicariously by whom? is it because:
  • T'Challa, a king and the richest man in the universe, is black
  • Wakanda, the most technologically advanced country in the world, is in Africa
  • Science fiction depicting an afrofuturistic society isolated and insulated from white colonialism
  • Afrocentric film providing social commentary during our regressive cultural and political time
  • it's unapologetically black

That's royalty, wealth, science fiction, superheroism, and social commentary overshadowed by blackness. It becomes a question of who gets to be a superhero, what story gets to be told, and who gets to see themselves represented.

Let's play a numbers game:

Black Panther is tracking to score $165-180million in its opening weekend. Some updated estimates say $190-215million. If it plays like the least leggiest MCU film, Captain America: Civil War, we are looking at a domestic total of $374-408million or $431-488million.

Overseas, if it plays like Guardians of the Galaxy and scores $440million, which it is tracking well above, then Black Panther is looking at a global take of $814-848million or $871-928million. And this is likely being conservative on the foreign totals.

Last edited by the happy guy; 02-16-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 02:56 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,024,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
OTOH, the YouTube reviewer I most respect said he greatly enjoyed it, but there were some points to be criticized (he gave it a B+, and he's tough--I've only seen him give Twelve Angry Men an A) and he admitted at length that he was afraid of the backlash even his mild criticisms would incur.
Isn't that ridiculous and sad? No movie, even the very best, is perfect, and a critic should be able to point out any real problems he/she sees in a film without worrying about being attacked by an Internet mob. A B+ rating sounds like a perfectly respectable score, given that your critic is a tough grader.

Any way, I'm looking forward to seeing the film, and expect it will be very entertaining at a minimum (and possibly quite more than that).

Old 02-16-2018, 03:51 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,747,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
It's not an escapist fantasy to whom? it can't be experienced vicariously by whom? is it because:
  • Science fiction depicting an afrofuturistic society isolated and insulated from white colonialism
  • Afrocentric film providing social commentary during our regressive cultural and political time

That's royalty, wealth, science fiction, superheroism, and social commentary overshadowed by blackness. It becomes a question of who gets to be a superhero, what story gets to be told, and who gets to see themselves represented.

Black Panther is tracking to score $165-180million in its opening weekend. Some updated estimates say $190-215million. If it plays like the least leggiest MCU film, Captain America: Civil War, we are looking at a domestic total of $374-408million or $431-488million.

Overseas, if it plays like Guardians of the Galaxy and scores $440million, which it is tracking well above, then Black Panther is looking at a global take of $814-848million or $871-928million. And this is likely being conservative on the foreign totals.
It's definitely a fantasy movie.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:02 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,568,603 times
I'm in ATL, I'll have to wait until next week to see it. We have a high POC population here and my fellow POC's will represent well...no doubt the tickets won't be available. I should probably fly to Des Moines to watch it.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:19 PM

406 posts, read 289,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Based on the hype, I suspect that a flop is approaching. Could this be Marvel's "Green Lantern"?

In any escapist fantasy, there have to be conditions and characters that one wishes to experience, vicariously. Are they present in B.P.?

Why is royalty, wealth, science fiction, superheroism, and social commentary overshadowed because it's rooted in blackness? It becomes a question of who gets to be a superhero, what story gets to be told, and who gets to see themselves represented.

Edited

Old 02-16-2018, 04:23 PM

10,381 posts, read 8,024,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'm in ATL, I'll have to wait until next week to see it. We have a high POC population here and my fellow POC's will represent well...no doubt the tickets won't be available. I should probably fly to Des Moines to watch it.
Not unless you buy your tickets in advance online first. It's selling out here in Omaha.

Personally, I'm hoping this movie pounds a stake in the heart of that old Hollywood belief that white people won't go to see movies that don't star a white person. It's way past time for that zombie to die. I'm so white that when I'm in a swimsuit I could plausibly stand in for Moby Dick (not to mention being female), and I've been dying to see this film since the first trailer came out. Here's hoping that it's a tremendous success, and that along with the earlier box office success by films such as Hidden Figures, Get Out, and Moonlight, it will open the door to more diversity in the film industry.

Audiences want to see great stories with interesting characters doing fascinating things. People of ANY color or culture can (and should!) be filling those roles.

Edited to Add: One thing that Marvel Disney seems to be doing right (at least for now) is being willing to take risks, and allowing talented but nonconventional young directors to direct some of their major franchise projects. Hollywood as a whole tends to play things safe; understandable, given what movies cost to make these days, but playing things too safe means the resulting films are too predictable to become megahits. With any luck, Black Panther will help cement the lesson that risk-taking and being willing to be different can pay off in a big way.

Last edited by Aredhel; 02-16-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 02-16-2018, 05:48 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,908,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I just got tickets for a Monday matinee, and there were plenty of seats. A friend and I are taking off work Monday (which is a federal holiday) to go and see it, but I was figuring since some people may be off Monday that it would be booked too, but like I said, there were plenty of seats. My guess is after this weekend, you should be able to get tickets without too much trouble.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:57 PM

581 posts, read 457,724 times
I saw it today and I thought it was entertaining, but really overhyped. The performances, visual effects and action scenes were great, but the plotline struggled to get off the ground and the agenda-pushing was ridiculous. It definitely felt like a "black movie," which is fine, but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. It dragged in some areas to the point where several teenagers sitting around us pulled out phones and started texting.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,651,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Overseas, if it plays like Guardians of the Galaxy and scores $440million, which it is tracking well above. And this is likely being conservative on the foreign totals.
First time out MCU movies have scored overseas box office of $128.6 - $445.1 million
Sequels had overseas box office as high as $946.4 million

Foreign box office in millions
  1. $128.6 The Incredible Hulk
  2. $193.9 Captain America: The First Avenger
  3. $266.8 Iron Man
  4. $268.3 Thor
  5. $339.1 Ant-Man
  6. $440.2 Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. $445.1 Doctor Strange
  8. $311.5 Iron Man 2
  9. $438.2 Thor: The Dark World
  10. $454.5 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  11. $473.9 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  12. $538.8 Thor: Ragnarok
  13. $546.0 Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. $745.2 Captain America: Civil War
  15. $805.8 Iron Man 3
  16. $895.5 Marvel's The Avengers
  17. $946.4 Avengers: Age of Ultron

Foreign Box Office for Blade films
$61.1 Blade 1998
$72.7 Blade II 2002
$76.5 Blade: Trinity 2004

Old 02-17-2018, 06:23 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,064,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I just saw it and it is amazing. This might be one of the most visually striking movies I have seen. The portrayal of african culture is intentionally over the top to take you to a whole other reality while providing incredible entertainment. All types of crowds will enjoy it, even non americans not familiar with the Marvel universe. I can't believe they entrusted this budget to Ryan Coogler who is so young and not very experienced but he made a fantastic job. All of the movie screams talent. This movie totally blew my mind.
I enjoyed the movie. The beginning took me a little while to get into-but the movie flowed nicely after a certain point. I think the director was trying to get the back ground.

I enjoyed the humor, the lack of sexual overtones. I know that sounds odd, but lately the movies coming out, are like locker room talk: not one whit clever but being saturated with sexual overtones.

It's a good movie if you like action, and cleverness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies