Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:24 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"Grew progressively more silly"? You're literally the only person I've seen say that.
I often wonder if I’m the only sane person in the room.

And yes, the villain’s plot was utterly ridiculous. First he’s going to steal a bunch insta-crazy serum from the Scarecrow, then he’s going to steel an insta-vapo-beam-cannon from I forget who, then he’s going to flood the water supply with the insta-crazy and vaporize it all from a downtown bullet train. I half-expected him to plan to float away on the kitchen sink, towed by balloons.

Not since Magneto’s Insta-Mutant whirligig from the first X-Men movie has a villain’s plot been so worthy of such an eye roll.

Quote:
Methinks you're stuck in the Silver Age, hence the reference to West & Ward.
No. I actually don’t like the Silver Age stuff that much, which is precisely why I disliked so much of Batman Begins.

Quote:
OTOH, Batman Begins unfurls a much more convincing third act
Which parts convinced you? The insta-crazy serum? The insta-vapo-ray cannon? The chase on the bullet train? The Batmobile hopping over rooftops? Yeah, all totally credible.

Quote:
Not even props for Tom Hardy's Bane? Are you sure you watched it?
Meh.

Quote:
He's still a cut or three above many others. Do you think JJ Abrams would make a movie like Interstellar? Do you think Joss would make Inception? You get my drift.
Nolan is a far better director than Abrams or Whedon. But Nolan is not without his faults.

Quote:
A 2-hr slugfest? Come on, you're embarrassing the Exaggerators of America Coalition.
It was a 2+ hour movie whose final act was continuous slugging and chasing and explosions and punching and chasing ad infinitum.

Quote:
The warehouse scene is the best Bat-action in cinema history!
One great scene does not make a great movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:13 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I often wonder if I’m the only sane person in the room.
Sure. Somehow I think this guy feels the exact same way.

Quote:
No. I actually don’t like the Silver Age stuff that much, which is precisely why I disliked so much of Batman Begins.
Considering how much is sourced from Bronze Age Batman, especially Miller's Year One reboot, I'm not sure where you're drawing the Silver Age association. If you're talking Burton's Batman '89, that's Silver Age to the bone. It's Batman '66 on steroids. (And I like Batman '66 more.)

Quote:
Which parts convinced you? The insta-crazy serum? The insta-vapo-ray cannon? The chase on the bullet train? The Batmobile hopping over rooftops? Yeah, all totally credible.
Oh, stop. The Tumbler was awesome. But Zack's redesign is the awesomest.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:22 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,255,801 times
I find Marvel Studios movies painfully forgettable for some reason, even though I wouldn't call them poorly made. My favorite Marvel movies happen to be Avengers 1 and Iron Man 3, because of the entertaining villains/comic relief. Good or bad, I can at least recall moments from DC movies.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Unless you've seen Wonder Woman, you can't say DC "just can't get it right."
Yeah and that was a paint-by numbers copy of Captain America: The First Avenger. I maybe beating a dead horse here, but they truly didn't "get it right." I did love Batman V. Superman but DC can't figure out a concrete plan for their cinematic universe nor make a movie that is universally loved. Wonder Woman was but I don't like it because I saw right through it and it didn't click with me. Marvel while having bad villains at times in their own right (not to the level of Ares in Wonder Woman or Enchantress in Suicide Squad) makes a plan and sticks to it barring the success of Ant-man and a deal with Sony over Spider-Man.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is probably why I'm more biased towards DC. I grew up watching DC cartoons like Superman the Animated Series, Batman the Animated Series and Justice League.

DCEU live-action films have generally been underwhelming because they are starting from behind trying to play catch up. They've been reactionary trying to copy what has been successful in the past instead of having a gameplan.
Oh the DC animated movies are mostly really good. Superman: Doomsday wasn't that good but it looks like we will forget about that with The Death of Superman. It will be a two parter like their best Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:57 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,917,278 times
Marvel has a much bigger, more interesting base of characters to work with. The Avengers are pretty well known, and they were able to make individual films to go along with the group films, so their brand increased faster. If you include the Xmen, they have had decent films and a lot of different, well known characters as well Then Marvel struck gold with Guardians of the Galaxy, and even on the TV level, the Netflix series have been a hit. Throw in a revamped Spider-Man and introducing new popular characters like Deadpool, Doctor Strange Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther, and they just have more volume and momentum.

I find the Marvel films themselves to be hit or miss. I didn't love the first Captain America or even winter soilder, only really liked Iron Man 3, thought the first Avengers was decent, loved the first Thor, loved Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, loved Deadpool, loved Xmen First Class, thought Spider-Man Homecoming was cool, loved all the Netflix defenders series (especially Daredevil)......the rest, I thought were decent but somewhat forgettable.

DC films have a lot less quantity. I loved the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy, and that kind of took the cake until MCU really started to blowup. I liked Man of Steel and thought Wonder Woman was great, but D.C. doesn't do as good of a job of weaving their characters together as Marvel. Also, DC has failed to showcase/ garner interest in lesser known characters like Marvel has. They just haven't made Suicide Squad, Aqua Man, Cyborg, etc really interesting. Whereas Marvel has taken non mainstream characters like Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Deadpool, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Winter Soldier, etc and made them popular.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Oh, stop. The Tumbler was awesome. But Zack's redesign is the awesomest.

The Batmobile in The Dark Knight was used to great effect. The Batmobile in Batman Begins was silly. I honestly can't remember the Batmobile in BvS. Just another bit of hardware buried in all the noise and explosions and dark, smoky chase scenes.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 AM

12,426 posts, read 8,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Marvel has a much bigger, more interesting base of characters to work with. The Avengers are pretty well known, and they were able to make individual films to go along with the group films, so their brand increased faster. If you include the Xmen, they have had decent films and a lot of different, well known characters as well Then Marvel struck gold with Guardians of the Galaxy, and even on the TV level, the Netflix series have been a hit. Throw in a revamped Spider-Man and introducing new popular characters like Deadpool, Doctor Strange Guardians of the Galaxy, and Black Panther, and they just have more volume and momentum.

I find the Marvel films themselves to be hit or miss. I didn't love the first Captain America or even winter soilder, only really liked Iron Man 3, thought the first Avengers was decent, loved the first Thor, loved Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2, loved Deadpool, loved Xmen First Class, thought Spider-Man Homecoming was cool, loved all the Netflix defenders series (especially Daredevil)......the rest, I thought were decent but somewhat forgettable.

DC films have a lot less quantity. I loved the Nolan Dark Knight Trilogy, and that kind of took the cake until MCU really started to blowup. I liked Man of Steel and thought Wonder Woman was great, but D.C. doesn't do as good of a job of weaving their characters together as Marvel. Also, DC has failed to showcase/ garner interest in lesser known characters like Marvel has. They just haven't made Suicide Squad, Aqua Man, Cyborg, etc really interesting. Whereas Marvel has taken non mainstream characters like Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Deadpool, Black Panther, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Winter Soldier, etc and made them popular.
I don't know if the characters are any more interesting it was the plan, the concept of the MCU to link them all and refuse the director his traditional role of building his own two hours with no regard to other films based off of characters which interacted in the comic books on a regular basis. With 16 films and hundreds of TV hours some might not like a particular hour and look for the perfect story which got us a Batman, Superman or Spiderman rebooting over and over with home video now instantly available. If Hugh Jackman had quit earlier you would have seen the mutant X universe with a hard instead of a soft reboot also.

I think the proof of the concept comes when Chris Evans and Hemsworth are no longer able to build their bodies for the role or RDJ decides he has had enough and it is time for the decision to give what becae their big three characters a rest or reboot.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think the proof of the concept comes when Chris Evans and Hemsworth are no longer able to build their bodies for the role or RDJ decides he has had enough and it is time for the decision to give what becae their big three characters a rest or reboot.
I suspect the upcoming INFINITY WAR will be the beginnings of the reboot of the Marvel cinematic universe. Chris Evans has already said he's getting tired of the role. Robert Downey Jr is now in his 50s. Hemsworth can't keeping taking all those steroids and remain healthy. Marvel still can't get the Hulk right. The time for this storyline and its characters to take a nap will soon be upon us.

It would be nice if Marvel could get the FF and the X-Men back in time to do a true universal reboot onscreen, but I don't see that happening for a good, long while.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times
Quote:
The Batmobile in The Dark Knight was used to great effect. The Batmobile in Batman Begins was silly.
All you're really saying is you preferred the way it was photographed/CGI-enhanced in the latter.

The Tumbler leaping to another building rooftop in Batman Begins, and busting through the parking structure's upper level concrete barrier in The Dark Knight is the same thing. Same Tumber, different framing sequence.

And how do you not like Gordon manning the Tumbler in Begins? "Can you drive stick?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies