Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 03:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
True.

Star Trek II actually began as a made-for-TV movie. But then the studio started seeing how fantastic it was and decided to give it a theatrical release.
Oh, so that explains it. I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
It just goes to prove: Great story trumps expensive special effects every time.
So true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:10 PM

I also wasn't crazy about Luke wearing black in Return of the Jedi because I was used to the good guys wearing browns and tans and beiges... and Luke's black reminded me of what Darth Vader wore.

However, there's a story behind that...

Quote:
There's a documentary about the making of The Phantom Menace where the costume designers discuss this explicitly. In fact, I think it's even on the basic extras documentary on the DVD.

Lucas actually didn't have a fixed view on what the standard Jedi uniform was before the prequels. That was a huge surprise to me because I had always assumed, as a kid, that the black uniform with dark brown cape that Luke wore in Ep6 was a Jedi knight uniform, and that Vader was wearing a corrupted version of it.

Anyway, in the documentary what they say is that in pre-production for Phantom they had a committee meeting to decide what the Jedi uniform should be. After a lengthy debate they settled on what Obi Wan was wearing in Ep4-6 because that was what they felt audiences would be most comfortable with. None of the alternatives are described.
Therefore, I think that they were right about the colors that they chose for the Jedi in the prequels. However, technically speaking, Obi-Wan Kenobi would have been hiding out on Tatooine for (17 or 19?) years in Jedi attire. Also, the article goes on to bring out another good point about the Jedi 'colors'...

Quote:
To me that always seemed a very odd decision. Firstly it's very clear in A New Hope that a cloak, tunic and trousers is the standard civilian costume on Tatooine. Owen and Luke and the human denizens of Mos Eisley all wear outfits that are almost identical to Obi-Wan's, the only difference being the order of beige.
Why was Luke dressed black unlike a traditional Jedi in ROTJ?

But, oh well. Isn't it fun to nitpick?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I was wondering if there are any physical traits or aspects in a movie, such as clothing, costumes, hair, size or height of a character, etc. that turn you off and kind of messes up your movie experience. Because I know with X-Men Origins: Wolverine, a lot of people absolutely hated the way that Deadpool looked. Also, with such a smart-mouthed character, people also hated that his mouth was sewn shut. Plus, I heard that people who read the Jack Reacher books, were turned off that Tom Cruise played that character, because in the book, Jack Reacher is pretty tall.

But what prompted me to start this thread is that I had recently noticed something that they did with Spider-Man's eyes in the new Spider-Man: Homecoming posters. In the new posters, I had noticed that his eyes are bigger.

And this would be in comparison to his eyes in Captain America: Civil War.

And I knew there was something that I didn't like about Spider-Man in CACW, but I'm just now figuring it out. (Although, I'm also not crazy about the pointed black bans around his arms and on his boots, but I think that I can live with that.) But I'm glad that someone had the discernment to change his eyes from how they looked in CACW.

So are there any physical traits or aspects that have turned you off in a movie?

His eyes weren't smaller in CACW, the Stark Industries suit had "expressive" eyes. As in the comics, the Stark Industries suit eye patches could widen and squint as Peter's own eyes widened and squinted.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:33 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
I was wondering if there are any physical traits or aspects in a movie, such as clothing, costumes, hair, size or height of a character, etc. that turn you off and kind of messes up your movie experience.
Even though I know he is hilarious, I honestly find Jemaine Clement's lips so freakishly disturbing that I can't stand to watch him onscreen. I have to close my eyes.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:33 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times

Aside from the fact that I cannot stand him as an actor... his stupid off centered tooth has always bugged me when watching the few movies of his that I have seen.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Anything with the runt Tom Cruise in it.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
His eyes weren't smaller in CACW, the Stark Industries suit had "expressive" eyes. As in the comics, the Stark Industries suit eye patches could widen and squint as Peter's own eyes widened and squinted.
Actually, I was recently watching a youtube CACW clip with Spidey in it, and I noticed that. Also, I was wondering if someone was going to call me on that or if I should come forward and 'fess up. However, it looks like the former occurred.

Nice call, Ralph.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Even though I know he is hilarious, I honestly find Jemaine Clement's lips so freakishly disturbing that I can't stand to watch him onscreen. I have to close my eyes.
Dare I ask... What is wrong with Jemaine Clement's lips?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if there are any physical traits or aspects in a movie, such as clothing, costumes, hair, size or height of a character, etc. that turn you off and kind of messes up your movie experience.
Also, I wanted to say that you have to use your own discretion... and of course you have to keep the Forum rules and the TOS in mind, and not mention anyone's race, gender, or disability, etc... or anything else that's not in good taste.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Bosom cups on the space suit armor of Sergeant Laureline in the Valerian movie.

Almost as bad as nipples on a Batman costume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies