Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 04:13 PM

22,945 posts, read 28,342,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
And there you go. Marvel couldn't get Fox to share back the FF, so they discontinued the comic.
Which is a good example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Even though the last FF flick was horrible, it still turned a profit of many millions of dollars. See: Fantastic Four (2015) - Financial Information

I don't know that any comic book has made millions of anything since the '90s. I'd be very surprised if 50% of Marvel's monthly titles were even profitable. Were it not for the movies, Marvel would probably not exist anymore.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,635,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Which is a good example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Even though the last FF flick was horrible, it still turned a profit of many millions of dollars. See: Fantastic Four (2015) - Financial Information

I don't know that any comic book has made millions of anything since the '90s. I'd be very surprised if 50% of Marvel's monthly titles were even profitable. Were it not for the movies, Marvel would probably not exist anymore.
Their Star Wars comics* line, which they're printing by the truckload — not just in copies, I mean different titles, I think even Leia has or had her own — is doing the heavy lifting, with the Avengers' and mutants' titles doing the rest.

*I bet Dark Horse really hates not having the rights to publish those these days...

Old 08-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Sony's Silver and Black Gets 2019 Release Date | Screen Rant

Quote:
Sony’s 'Silver and Black' Gets February 2019 Release Date

Sony’s second Spider-Man spinoff film, Silver and Black gets a release date in February 2019. Although Sony Pictures tried to set the stage for a Spidey-focused shared superhero universe in Marc Webb’s The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the film wasn’t well received by critics or fans, and fail to meet expectations in terms of its box office earnings. As a result, Sony scrapped plans for its Spider-Man shared universe and struck a deal with Marvel Studios to introduce Peter Parker to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The latest Spider-Man, played by Tom Holland, received his standalone debut earlier this summer in Spider-Man: Homecoming, but Sony is still planning its own Spidey-related cinematic universe.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:10 PM

512 posts, read 322,778 times
There was a recent write-up with the director about this film's character dynamics, and what I read sounded quite interesting. However, what truly intrigued me was the rumor about how Silver & Black supposedly ends: aparently, the ending will set up an all-female superhero team that will eventually get their own film, and that will include my all-time favorite superheroine, Jessica Drew, aka Spider-Woman (the original and the best ).

Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 PM

512 posts, read 322,778 times
Quote:
"Hate" would be overstating it. I don't hate him. I just think [Joss Whedon] is INCREDIBLY over-rated. All his stuff sounds the same after a while. He has no range, and the territory he has staked for himself just isn't all that interesting.

He has a famous bit of writing advice: "Make it dark. Make it grim. Then tell a joke." And he does that over and over and over and over, and it all rings false. There is little Truth in his writing, and none in his dialogue. No real pathos. Just fake mood wrapped in snark.

Elmore Leonard has a better bit of writing advice: "If it sounds like writing, then rewrite it." All of Whedon's dialogue sounds like he chewed the eraser off a pencil, agonizing over the dialogue just so he can show everyone how clever he is.
Wow.
I agree 100 % with all of this.
I never understood the fervently fanatical adoration that Whedon gets from some fanboys.
I totally hate his style and his "humor," and I was ecstatic about his Wonder Woman film never seeing the light of day.
I also hate that he is going to stink up Batgirl.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
MISLEADING TITLE ALERT!

It is my duty to inform all that that clickbait line about bad movies is BS, because we know the real reason the monthly Fantastic Four book got axed, and we've all known it for a good while.

In fact, if you read the article, Hickman tells you:

And there you go. Marvel couldn't get Fox to share back the FF, so they discontinued the comic.

If they ever do reach an "agreement," the ongoing FF book will be rebooted faster than you can say "Stretch this!"
Exactly, but I don't recall Fantastic Four even being in Marvel's top 20 releases prior to being "rumored of being canceled" going into Secret Wars (2015.) That said, a number of Fantastic Four villains were pretty big in that story. This is why I think it was a mixture of issues but Marvel not owning the rights is part of it. Then again, why is Marvel making X-Men big again?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:11 AM

22,945 posts, read 28,342,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then again, why is Marvel making X-Men big again?
Because X-Men titles have consistently been their best-sellers since the '90s. And the movies, while hit and miss, aren't consistently terrible.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:43 AM

12,410 posts, read 8,197,048 times
Quote:
Because X-Men titles have consistently been their best-sellers since the '90s. And the movies, while hit and miss, aren't consistently terrible.
Or because they know that beyond signing over the controlling shares of Disney that they are not getting those film rights back so they might as well get as much money as possible out of their most popular books

Old 08-12-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Then again, why is Marvel making X-Men big again?
Quote:
Because X-Men titles have consistently been their best-sellers since the '90s.

Mutant books have sold like hotcakes ever since Giant-Size X-Men #1 and Uncanny X-Men #94 in 1975.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:13 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Mutant books have sold like hotcakes ever since Giant-Size X-Men #1 and Uncanny X-Men #94 in 1975.
I don't recall X-Men selling that great since House of M except Deadpool books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies