Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:16 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We don't know who was considered and who wasn't, we don't know who responded to casting calls and who didn't, we don't know whose agents were asleep at the wheel and whose weren't. We don't know when casting has been slanted toward world markets and when it hasn't.

But we do know that in such a case as the nationality of the actors, it's all about the Benjamins.
But that's been my point. We don't know, but it's safe to assume the typical thinking is probably that Brits and other Commonwealth natives are cheaper and better because they're classically trained. I doubt a studio head or casting director thinks about the craft of acting and would think of John Hawkes, a brilliant but relative unknown character actor (even though he was nominated for an AA) when casting. They think of the hottest guy from down under, or someone making waves across the pond like Andrew Garfield.

So yes I agree with you that it's about the money and groupthink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But that's been my point. We don't know, but it's safe to assume the typical thinking is probably that Brits and other Commonwealth natives are cheaper and better because they're classically trained. I doubt a studio head thinks about the craft of acting and would think of John Hawkes, a brilliant but relative unknown character actor (even though he was nominated for an AA) when casting. They think of the hottest guy from down under, or someone making waves across the pond like Andrew Garfield.

So yes I agree with you that it's about the money and groupthink.
As I said: We don't know who responded to casting calls and who didn't, we don't know whose agents were asleep at the wheel and whose weren't.

There is no black actor south of Denzel or Idris who can fire his agent and still get work, and it's unlikely anyone we're talking about now got work without his agent throwing in his name.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As I said: We don't know who responded to casting calls and who didn't, we don't know whose agents were asleep at the wheel and whose weren't.

There is no black actor south of Denzel or Idris who can fire his agent and still get work, and it's unlikely anyone we're talking about now got work without his agent throwing in his name.
I am talking about those actors that I listed are examples of American brilliance in acting. I am not saying those specifically should've been called or what not. I am just saying that I think there is groupthink in thinking that Brits and other Commonwealth natives are just better and cheaper than Americans, and thus there is a market for their talent. They're thinking of talent, bankability, and cheapness too.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:19 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:
Don't be a dolt. He's not suggesting ethnic cleansing. It's the same logic applied to the issue of outsourcing in the tech world, the issues with H1B. American based companies are hiring a lot of foreign, mostly British and Commonwealth natives, because they're cheaper than high end American stars and they believe they're classically trained.

I can see the argument for both sides but I dislike this knee jerk reaction from people such as yourself to those who ask if anyone notices a trend? Why can't people ask these things without being shouted down for being a Nazi? Why does it elicit such vitriol and knee jerk SJWism?

Look, the issue is pretty simple. Some of these traditionally American icons such as Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and others are being played by foreigners. People may notice that. But that's as far as I want to go with it, I don't personally want to bar anyone from getting a part but I do think companies are doing this on purpose because of the reasons I listed above, not because they've just found the right person for the part or because they're on location in some foreign country.

Samuel L. Jackson brought this exact same issue up but it was about black Brits playing black American roles. Is he a Nazi? And that was for Get Out, not a traditionally American role.

Companies can afford to spend money on whoever they want. Batman 1989 was filmed entirely in the UK with a mostly American cast and an American lead for Batman. So it's not about location.

And you guys can bring up all the comic book history you want, those characters were designed for Americans. They were American icons for the longest time. I don't even know how you can explain away Captain America or Superman.

Last point, I just want to know if all of a sudden Americans started to play most of, or heck 90% of all iconic British roles wouldn't Brits notice? I am not even talking about complaining, but just take notice and say something. Would you call them Nazis? Even if they said, hey let's have some parts left for Brits too, eh? You can mention Sherlock Holmes and Maggie Thatcher which were played by Americans, but I am talking if it became an ongoing trend that most of the iconic Brits were being played by Americans, from Bond, to Mr. Bean, to Benny Hill, to Winston Churchill, to the Avengers, etc, etc, etc, etc, all in the span of a decade or so. You really don't think any Brit would notice? Get real. Same if Australians started noticing all their icons, some that they're sure Americans have never heard of, were being played by Americans.

And quit acting so knee jerk about this topic. Just debate it rationally.
Well said.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
It seems like that there are a lot of foreigners starring in American TV shows and movies now. I'm talking about major movies and tv shows. Foreigners from London, Australia, both black and white actors. Has anyone else noticed this trend?
LOL. Scarlet O'Hara was Vivien Leigh- BRITISH!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:39 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
You can make a case for how this character or that character wasn't designed to be American all you want, but the issue remains, why cast a foreigner if the movie is being financed by a company that is based in the States and it's main commercial audience is American? I don't know how much that is relevant these days with the international markets, especially Chine, but the main bread and butter is still American audiences. International markets mainly pick up the rest.

Samuel L. Jackson got the ball rolling with Get Out. The point is WHY? Why cast a Brit for a role that could've gone to an American who understands the black American experience better and especially for a movie that was targeted for Americans about the black American experience?

Why did MLK have to be British in Selma? Why did Batman have to be British? Spider-Man?

That is the issue. Why? Why does the part need to go to a foreigner and not an American? That is the question that for some reason riles people up and elicits some social justice warrior rage and conjures up images of xenophobic Trump supporters wanting to ethnically cleanse Hollywood. When it's the same logic that makes up any questions surrounding globalization and not hiring American.

I still think it has more to with Brits and Commonwealth actors being slightly cheaper than high end American stars and because there is this belief that they're better than American actors because they're classically trained in the theater. That is mostly why I gather American companies hiring foreigners a lot in the recent decade.
Nope, by this logic the people asking these questions and making a big deal about foreigners playing in these roles are the ones who really are getting riled up. Everyone else don't give it too much thought and only care about the quality of these movies and the actors playing in them regardless of where they are from.

Oh and underestimating the importance of performing well in overseas markets is a big mistake for movie studios.

All Time Worldwide Box Office Grosses

If you notice what all of these films have in common the majority of their gross come from overseas markets.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Nope, by this logic the people asking these questions and making a big deal about foreigners playing in these roles are the ones who really are getting riled up. Everyone else don't give it too much thought and only care about the quality of these movies and the actors playing in them regardless of where they are from.

Oh and underestimating the importance of performing well in overseas markets is a big mistake for movie studios.

All Time Worldwide Box Office Grosses

If you notice what all of these films have in common the majority of their gross come from overseas markets.
I doubt the American public would give it much thought since the industry doesn't affect them considering many don't work for it. Just like the H1B thing doesn't affect many people who aren't in tech or engineering. But this very issue was brought up by a prominent actor, Samuel L. Jackson. It makes me think actors understand the market and what studio heads are doing. They're thinking of international draw, cheaper and better trained (in their eyes) actors to fill American roles. I doubt any other actors not on Sam Jacks level would say anything for fear of retribution or for stoking populism (and being labeled Xenophobic) in left wing Hollywood.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:02 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
I doubt the American public would give it much thought since the industry doesn't affect them considering many don't work for it. Just like the H1B thing doesn't affect many people who aren't in tech or engineering. But this very issue was brought up by a prominent actor, Samuel L. Jackson. It makes me think actors understand the market and what studio heads are doing. They're thinking of international draw, cheaper and better trained (in their eyes) actors to fill American roles. I doubt any other actors not on Sam Jacks level would say anything for fear of retribution or for stoking populism (and being labeled Xenophobic) in left wing Hollywood.
At this point I doubt the people getting riled up are those who disagree with the OP's opinion. I mean We're not the ones who are throwing out politically based conspiracy theories out there..

As for Samuel L. Jackson, I would be more interested in what Jordan Peele the director and producer of the movie has to say about his casting choice. BTW, Peele is an American black man like Jackson.

In my uninformed opinion so it's certainly not a fact but just my opinion is this:

A lot of Brits and Aussie actors and actresses spend their early years in the acting profession honing their craft on stage. And even when their movie careers take off they will sometimes return to the stage out of their love for the art and to improve their skills. Some american actors do this but not many.

Ultimately most people don't mind because we are watching these films to be entertained not out of some patriotic overture so we want to see the best production possible meaning getting the best people to do the job no matter where they are from.

Again this just my opinion but it's no more informed than some political conspiracy theory.

Old 07-06-2017, 02:07 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Honestly it is money. We are seeing more Asians, especially Chinese to appeal to China. Power Rangers was diverse as a TV show but seemed even more diverse in the movie that came out this year. Kimberly, portrayed by a British-Indian actress named Naomi Scott. Jason, portrayed by a white Australian named Dacre Montgomery. Billy was race-swapped from white to black and portrayed by an African-American named RJ Cyler. Zack was race-swapped from black to Asia and portrayed by Ludi Lin from China. Trini was race-swapped from Asian to Hispanic (though this was the case in the pilot) with American Becky Gomez (Becky G) having the role. Why was this done, the money or perception of money coming in from being more inclusive and ready to enter other markets.

Another thing movies are doing are adding specific plots to enter China. Iron Man 3 had a specific cut for China with an expanded presence of a very minor Chinese character, Dr. Wu the surgeon who removes the shrapnel from Stark's chest. Then you have movies like The Great Wall that was a Chinese movie and was released in America due to two American actors, Matt Damon and William Dafoe being part of the movie.

I don't totally buy the whole British thing. Yes there are a number of great British actors but they really don't "steal" roles away from Americans. There are tons of movies released every year. Too many at times.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
Quote:
That's a good comparison. I think a lot of Americans dont really know that alot of the actors are foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies